Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I finally got to apply some wax on the cabinets. It’s amazing what some wax can do for the finish. Transforms it - I never knew it was possible to make wood deep and shiny without lacquer or varnish. Just BLO and wax and elbow grease.

Attachments

• BD29E7DE-1C9E-432F-A837-D9D233943DEA.jpg
    BD29E7DE-1C9E-432F-A837-D9D233943DEA.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 445
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok, more shiny photos to come - but looks similar to earlier photos. Just shinier. The feel of Surface to the touch is very nice too.

Sound wise, I still really enjoy listening to this for vocals, classic rock, pop, country, jazz. It’s on almost all day playing in the kitchen. The imaging and soundstage are very. Very good with this speaker.

I finally got to apply some wax on the cabinets. It’s amazing what some wax can do for the finish. Transforms it - I never knew it was possible to make wood deep and shiny without lacquer or varnish. Just BLO and wax and elbow grease.
Beautiful X. Never knew BB ply can look so good. Linseed Oil and wax I can get, but I cannot seem to find Elbow Grease on Amazon or Ebay. :confused:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Honestly, there was very little Elbow Grease required - just some 330 grit paper rubbed while BLO was wet on surface of wood - maybe 15min x 2 applications. Waiting 4 days in between coats was the time consuming part. The wax was fast and easy. Trivial almost.

For my other work though, Midnight Oil is a key component as there are only so many hours in a day.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, and it was very expertly built for me by member Jhofland. Thank you Jhofland! I know that there were issues with the build previously when made of wood due to a boxiness. I think I have figured out how to completely cure that issue by lining the areas behind the driver with the melamine reticulated foam cleaning pads, and lining the side walls of the front chamber with the foam plus a layer of paper-faced foam core on the inside of the K aperture. It sounds absolutely wonderful.

713421d1541340276-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-65a80b9f-cf1d-491c-8ba8-eef16960f398-jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I got the idea for the cleaning pads from BASF professional sound abatement foam. Same thing, colored grey. The foam is completely porous and takes very little volume, pore size is small. Ideal as a sound absorber. You can breathe through it without difficulty.

I have not see a FEM sim of the K aperture dispersion but have made polar measurements and it is uniform and wide. Really expands the sweet spot.

Given the incredibly good high frequency capabilities of die dual 3FE25-16 Mini Karlsonator (almost too good for my liking and ears), I was wondering if a bigger driver, maybe 4FE32/35-16 can be paired with a 3FE25-16 in parallel configuration. Is that even possible or advisable? If paralleling different drivers is frowned upon by those in the know, then two 8-Ohm drivers with XO can be used. It won't be a full range anymore, but might sound great, assuming the two drivers compliment one another sonically.

If the 0.53X enclosure is too small for the pair, how about 0.60X or thereabouts?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Skylar,
The sims actually are more perfectly suited for the dual 4FE35's. The 3FE25's are a bit undersized technically, yet manage to work very well. You may find that the dual 4FE35's are even better. For those looking for a high sensitivity speaker and have an amp that can handle 4ohm loads, dual 8ohm 4FE35-8's will give 96 to 97dB at 2.83v (but 2 watts).

Regarding different sized drivers, that can work as well. You will want to put the smaller one at the bottom position to give more highs, and the larger one on top. It should probably be run in parallel and maybe a simple air core coil could be used on the larger one to low pass it a bit.

I have seen cases of two disparate drivers (8in woofer and 3in full range) in one sealed chamber work well in sims - it is possible.

Correction: A search of this thread shows that the ideal 4FE35 Karlsonator is actually 0.60x scale in height and depth and 0.47x in width. I must have been thinking of the dual TC9FD18-8's which really are 0.53x all around.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Also, sims show that 16ohm 4FE35 cannot work as Qts is too large. So it would have to be a 4ohm nominal speaker with dual 4FE35-8's.

Last edited: