Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2013, 04:07 AM   #101
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

CarlP,
Well I have to say I am surprised these beat the BD pipes for clarity, speed, and high end, but you can't compare a 4.5 in driver against an 8 incher in a big TL for bass output. The foam core is lossy so you will not get the full efficiency predicted but mid 90's dB is still very good. I am glad it worked out - will you make it in wood or just stick with foam core?
Regards,
X
Old 28th August 2013, 01:29 PM   #102
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

X, I too was a little surprised, but it's certainly possible I'm mistaking some of those qualities with the louder output. It's hard to hear the BD Pipes with both playing. And yes, these are quite efficient even if not high 90s.

As for making them from wood, good question. If I decide to go with the Karlson as keeper it'll be out of wood (partly for aesthetic reasons, partly for sonic benefits). Right now I'm playing with ideas to see what I might want to build next. I have tried a number of "full range" projects but I also want to explore multi-way, line array, waveguide, etc. Foam core will be my friend in at least some of those tests.

Cheers, and thanks for the technique!
Old 28th August 2013, 03:57 PM   #103
npuas is offline npuas
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Nelson,
Here is the simulation of the mini Karlsonator with the FE126EN. The scaling dimensions that I arrived at are a little different due to the low Qts nature of this driver. It probably is not the ideal cabinet for this driver in any event but here is what I came up with. Length scaling is 0.5X, width and depth scaling is 0.43X, and then scale the vent width by 2X (after the length scaling). The FE126EN has such a hot rising response and there is not enough bass gain with this box (compared to a BLH) that I had to tame the upper freq with a 1.2mH//8 ohm resistor for a BSC.

Simulation plots are as follows:
- Freq response with speaker 6 in from back wall mic at 1 m
- Freq response with speaker 60 in from back wall mic at 1 m
- Impedance
- Driver cone displacement
- Impulse response

Observations: fairly deep bass extension to 50 Hz with quite a small cabinet of about 15 in high x 6.6 in wide (barely big enough to fit the driver flange); if you move it away from walls you will get rid of the room suck-out at 250 Hz but at the expense of bass enhancement from wall; the cone movement is a bit too high for the low xmax of this driver (0.3 mm) - but I have heard folks say movement of 1 mm is not bad sounding or damaging; the impulse response is fairly clean since the secondary peak is < 8 ms for minimal group delay.

It might be worth it to try it out in foam core first and see how you like it.
Regards,
X
Thank's X.

I have a 5w amp and I like mini Karlsonator but the FE126en isn't compatible with it. Can you recommend me a driver?

Regards,
Nelson.
Old 28th August 2013, 04:44 PM   #104
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Default mini Karlsonator 0.6X with dual FR10's

Quote:
Originally Posted by npuas View Post
I have a 5w amp and I like mini Karlsonator but the FE126en isn't compatible with it. Can you recommend me a driver?
Nelson,
The Visaton FR10 can work reasonably well and is priced just right at $10 ea. Use two of them in a 0.6X scale Karlsonator. I am very happy with dual Vifa TC9FD's - you can certainly go that route.

Here are the sims (the 300 Hz dip depends on positioning from wall).

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: png Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Freq-1m.png (20.6 KB, 1324 views)
File Type: png Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Impedance.png (23.5 KB, 1309 views)
File Type: png Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Displ.png (22.9 KB, 1292 views)
File Type: png Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Impulse.png (14.9 KB, 1269 views)
Old 29th August 2013, 12:12 PM   #105
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Nelson,
I forgot to mention that the above sim for the FR10 is actually an additional 0.7X scale by width (the aspect ratio will be taller - the width is really 0.6x0.7 or 0.42X overall while the height is 0.6X overall compared to original), and 0.7X additional scale for top channel vent (final scale is 0.42X on the vent from original). Sorry to be so confusing but it was easier to implement the scaling in the model this way.
X

Last edited by xrk971; 29th August 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 29th August 2013, 05:57 PM   #106
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

semi-related, Carl make's his small (8" and probably 10" ) driver K's as the hak8 below with curved reflector and vent above the reflector. The front chamber shape is something like a bass clef symbol and assume has an adjustable lowpass choke rear shelf. A good 10K would be fun for me.

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/6743/hak8.jpg
Old 31st August 2013, 03:35 PM   #107
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Default Dual NS525 (budget) mini-Karlsonator

The Aurasound budget NS525 driver available from Madisound for $3 ea seems to be an interesting candidate for a budget Karlsonator that has pretty good efficiency (~95 dB)and reaches down to about 50 Hz with a pretty flat response in the bass region. The Karlsonator plan was scaled 0.8x in length and 0.47x in width and depth, with a scaling of 2.5x applied to the vent gap after the other scalings are applied. The performance/price ratio of this speaker is pretty good.

Plots are for speaker placed 18 in from back wall with 2.83v input at 1m.

- Freq response
- Impedance
- Cone excursion
- Impulse function
Old 31st August 2013, 05:34 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I've long considered doing something with that driver. I had line array in mind, but I'll consider the mini karlsonator too. Thanks X.
Old 31st August 2013, 06:26 PM   #109
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Carl,
If you do go for the NS525 Karlsonator, they will need some help with a simple $2 budget tweeter crossed with a simple cap to handle stuff above 10kHz.
Old 1st September 2013, 02:42 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that's quite a drop after 6-7k.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!