Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2014, 07:34 PM   #1031
oiraM is offline oiraM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@ xrk971,

I suddenly remember I've posted some pictures of that driver on a Dutch forum. Maybe that will tell more than words. http://forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl/downlo...p?id=36937&t=1.
I'm not sure you can view them, but hopefully you can.
Old 11th November 2014, 03:58 AM   #1032
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
yes - the same external bulk -same 15 (woofer, coax, Nirvana ferrite 15) - it won't look much bigger than a Karlsonator12 in size - assuming same proportions that would be ~1.1 scale

Freddi,
Here are the sims for the P-audio driver with a K15 and 1.10x scale Karlsonator.

K15:

Click the image to open in full size.

1.1x Karlsonator:

I think the K15 looks better in terms of bass punch, but the Karlsonator has a smoother roll-off that might sound more hi-fi.
Attached Images
File Type: png K15-v3E-P-audio-15cx-freq-1m.png (31.7 KB, 744 views)
File Type: png KTL7A-P-audio-15cx-freq-1m.png (32.0 KB, 743 views)
Old 11th November 2014, 03:49 PM   #1033
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

hi X - thank you very much for the simulations. I'm somewhat surprised to see the Karlsonator performance fixing its bulk at K15. K15 has a lot of punch, but not seen it solid to 50Hz in half-space. Karlsonator 12 with 10 or 12" is good to 40Hz. I may want a Karlsonator10 for Beta10cx but perhaps that would give up too much low end. (?)

did you keep Z plots for the two simulations? - I assume the 1.1 Karlsonator is tuned around 1/3 octave lower than K15 (?)

mic on ground - cabinet upright
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:04 AM   #1034
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Freddi,
The Karlsonator likes a moderate Qts driver for good bass extension. The low Qts has a slow roll off. In a K15 however, low Qts is king. I can get you predicted impedance plots non problem. The P-audio may also like to have more volume - is your 1.1x scale accurate?

Your measurements show a bass roll off starting at 100Hz. Is that comparable to other drivers you have? I seem to recall a K15 having no problem hitting 60Hz.

Last edited by xrk971; 12th November 2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 15th November 2014, 07:19 PM   #1035
sabaspeed521 is offline sabaspeed521  United States
diyAudio Member

Does the 0.4 x version minikarlsonater have a diagram with all the dimensions? I can only seem to find the .54x scale schematics. Thanks, I'm really tempted to build one of these, also where do you buy the foam core board?
Old 15th November 2014, 09:31 PM   #1036
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabaspeed521 View Post
Does the 0.4 x version minikarlsonater have a diagram with all the dimensions? I can only seem to find the .54x scale schematics. Thanks, I'm really tempted to build one of these, also where do you buy the foam core board?
Ok so I bought some 1/4 inch MDF and have drivers on the way, still looking for the dimensions for the 0.4x version .
Old 15th November 2014, 10:17 PM   #1037
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

stamped frame Super10 in a 70 liter reflex tuned to 41Hz
a friend's reaction summed up how it sounds in a reflex tuned this low (he gestured to toss it out the window)
it can use BSC and probably tuning like David D. recommends to get a better balance.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Karlsonator 6 plan by Greg B. was used for the prototype some years ago http://i.imgur.com/xp0P8go.png

Karlsonator12 fitted with an 8" Visaton BG20 - its ugly with those screws and upper screw spacing but could look decent with a better choice of screws such as chrome washers with black drywall screws or large head furniture assemblyscrews. It sounds really good in my opinion with the original Super10 other than Super10's inherent roughness and that is likely tameable with a bit of felt on the inside of the wings.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 15th November 2014, 10:51 PM   #1038
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabaspeed521 View Post
Ok so I bought some 1/4 inch MDF and have drivers on the way, still looking for the dimensions for the 0.4x version .
The first post has an index of all the plans. It can be found here:

We have Blaides to thank for the nice drawing. Which drivers did you get, the TC9's or the 3FE25's?

Foam Core is at Dollar Tree, or similar dollar stores, for you guessed it, $1 ea. you can also get thicker more durable (but harder to cut) Elmer's foam core which is really nice and about 3x as heavy as dollar store stuff. That is at Michael's and the like.

Good luck!
Old 15th November 2014, 10:52 PM   #1039
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
stamped frame Super10 in a 70 liter reflex tuned to 41Hz
a friend's reaction summed up how it sounds in a reflex tuned this low (he gestured to toss it out the window)
it can use BSC and probably tuning like David D. recommends to get a better balance.

Karlsonator 6 plan by Greg B. was used for the prototype some years ago http://i.imgur.com/xp0P8go.png

Karlsonator12 fitted with an 8" Visaton BG20 - its ugly with those screws and upper screw spacing but could look decent with a better choice of screws such as chrome washers with black drywall screws or large head furniture assemblyscrews. It sounds really good in my opinion with the original Super10 other than Super10's inherent roughness and that is likely tameable with a bit of felt on the inside of the wings.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Very nice. The Jessman comes through again. What do these cost to ship from WA to WV?
Old 16th November 2014, 12:35 AM   #1040
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
The first post has an index of all the plans. It can be found here:

We have Blaides to thank for the nice drawing. Which drivers did you get, the TC9's or the 3FE25's?

Foam Core is at Dollar Tree, or similar dollar stores, for you guessed it, $1 ea. you can also get thicker more durable (but harder to cut) Elmer's foam core which is really nice and about 3x as heavy as dollar store stuff. That is at Michael's and the like.

Good luck!
TC9FD, I had one look at foam core (they didn't have the right size at HD, should have gone to a michael's, next time) and I didn't think it would be sturdy enough to not crumble. After I prototype it I may build future ones out of the foam, to speed the building process if I do it again.

I'm looking forward for parts to come so I can start. Oh and I will hopefully be laser cutting the baffle so we'll see how that goes.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!