Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2014, 11:41 AM   #1021
HoratioEN is offline HoratioEN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Cut sheet for A1 (can also be used for laser cutting)

Have trawled through the thread and everyone's super useful comments / tips, thanks!!

These are based on BL21DE3 0.4x and build on the one piece internal method from grandcalmar, making the whole wing/case from one piece too

The wing / baffle supports are rotated by 90 deg for materials like cardboard that are strong in only one direction

They're sized for a Visatron FRS8 and P3 material size (slightly smaller than A1) and can be used with Ponoko / Razorlab. If you need the SVG / EPS files PM me.
Old 6th November 2014, 08:09 PM   #1022
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoratioEN View Post
Have trawled through the thread and everyone's super useful comments / tips, thanks!!

These are based on BL21DE3 0.4x and build on the one piece internal method from grandcalmar, making the whole wing/case from one piece too

The wing / baffle supports are rotated by 90 deg for materials like cardboard that are strong in only one direction

They're sized for a Visatron FRS8 and P3 material size (slightly smaller than A1) and can be used with Ponoko / Razorlab. If you need the SVG / EPS files PM me.
How cool is that? Thanks!

Perfect demo/project for a class of students to get them an intro into speaker design. Burning Amp etc...

Old 6th November 2014, 08:20 PM   #1023
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, yeah, supercool.

Can't wait to see what this looks like after laser cutting and assembly. The fold method is in some ways more practical than coming up with ponoko file that uses dovetails and tabs.
Old 10th November 2014, 01:28 PM   #1024
HoratioEN is offline HoratioEN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's been a really great learning experience so far!

I've submitted the file to razorlab and waiting on them to process and print, will give an update soon

Am hoping the fold and flaps approach will..
  1. replace the need for bracing
  2. result in an airtight enclosure with less effort
  3. compensate for possible tolerance errors in the laser cut

Even with the 0.4x you hit the maximum printing size, but with a slightly bigger material size you'd be able to make the whole case from a single piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Wow, yeah, supercool.

Can't wait to see what this looks like after laser cutting and assembly. The fold method is in some ways more practical than coming up with ponoko file that uses dovetails and tabs.
Old 10th November 2014, 02:35 PM   #1025
oiraM is offline oiraM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

As I mentioned in another topic, I have a quit lot of loudspeaker units in my basement waiting for a destination. For example four 6.5" units without specifications. Would it be worth a try to put them in a Karlson enclosure or is the risk of a disappointment too high ?
Old 10th November 2014, 03:37 PM   #1026
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiraM View Post
As I mentioned in another topic, I have a quit lot of loudspeaker units in my basement waiting for a destination. For example four 6.5" units without specifications. Would it be worth a try to put them in a Karlson enclosure or is the risk of a disappointment too high ?
The Karlsonator is much more forgiving than a true Karlson (K15 and variants). You need some idea of whether or not it is a full range or mid bass driver. Whether or not it is high or moderate or low Qts (big or small magnet and is suspension soft or stiff?). Small magnet and soft suspension is probably high Qts, and big magnet and stiff is moderate or lower Qts. You want moderate Qts for Karlaonator. Low Qts for Karlson scaled K15.

6.5in can fit in a 0.53x - a foam core one is easy to try and won't set you back too much other than time (4hrs) if it doesn't work. You can always put a couple of tc9fd's if it doesn't work.

Don't bother making it based in a hunch out of wood though. Not worth it.
Old 10th November 2014, 06:34 PM   #1027
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

hi X - did you get around to comparing a K15 bulk Karlsonator to K15 when each use a typical 15" reflex parameter woofer? - my P-Audio 15 coax:

fs = 41.0, Re= 5.3, Le = 0.36mH, Qms = 5.030, Qes = 0.371, Qts = 0.346, Vas = 214.54 liters, BL = 16.4, Mms = 73.3 gm, Sd = 0.0850 m2, Xmax = 3.3mm, eta zero = 3.82%, Hag = 12.0mm, Hvc = 18.5mm

Last edited by freddi; 10th November 2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10th November 2014, 06:49 PM   #1028
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Hi Freddi,
No, not yet. Let me get your question to be clear. You want a Karlaonator scaled to the same volume as a K15 and the compare?
Old 10th November 2014, 07:18 PM   #1029
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

yes - the same external bulk -same 15 (woofer, coax, Nirvana ferrite 15) - it won't look much bigger than a Karlsonator12 in size - assuming same proportions that would be ~1.1 scale

Last edited by freddi; 10th November 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10th November 2014, 07:42 PM   #1030
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

That is what I was looking for - run a 1.1x scale sim with Karlsonator vs 1.0x scale K15 for same driver listed above.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!