Alpair 7 Gold or A10 Gold for an accuphase e-202 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello i'm thinking about building my own speakers.
The amp i have now is an accuphase e-202

What driver would be the best I have heard the hiq speaker (A7, must have been the A7) with an accuphase e-305 and that sounded amazing.

Here are the speakers, those costed 18.000 swedish kr, about $2 500
Händel family

And what would you suggest for a plan, The Frugal horn with A7 or maybe Pensil 10.3 for Alpair 10.3

I'm not sure enough folks have heard the 10.3 yet, and certainly even fewer have directly compared to the 7.3 in the range of enclosures you mention, so it will be a bit speculative at first.

With 100 WPC, the Accuphase amp should have no problem with either driver - in fact you'll want to exercise caution, so the question of a couple of dB difference in sensitivity between drivers is moot.

What's probably more appropriate to consider is the question of room placement, etc. The FH3/A7.3 combination is a great sounding speaker, but it definitely has a deeper footprint, and due to its rear mouth, placement considerations that won't constrain most MLTLs such as the Pensil. And of course, the 10s have always delivered substantially more bass output than 7s in comparable enclosures. With Mark's extensive refinements to the latest revisions on the 10.3, the advantage that many of us considered the 7 to have in upper mids and top end may be substantially reduced - in the next few weeks we'll probably read a lot more anecdotal reports on the subject.

would you like maple syrup with that waffle? ;)

Yes true. But how do the enclosures sound without comparing.
Could i have a A10 in a FH3 if i make it larger, i have heard that it should be to much bass . Sorry if the questions sound stupid i'm new to the whole building...
I need to do some more reading...
Well not sure if it's big room but 40 sqm

That's a fair sized space ( approx 430 ft^2) - the next questions would be:

- any constraints on enclosure size and /or placement / WAF ?
- types of music /listening levels?
- possible to add separate sub woofers for bass support if FH3/7.3 doesn't quite float your boat?

-and no, the A10.3 (metal) won't work in an FH3, but there is a much larger enclosure by the same designer;

Woden Design | Silbury

Silbury-3D.gif

There is an FH3 sibling enclosure design soon to be prototyped for the A10P - currently looks to be approx 960mm H x 540mm D x 240mm W, with the same 5dg tilted front baffle and swoopy curved side panel.

Yup, in any competently designed and well executed enclosure the 10.3 will develop more bass.

Last edited:
Well i wouldn't want to large enclosures, i have seen the silbury and i think it's a bit to large. I don't want extra sub woofers.
I play all kinds of music. Blues, classic rock, jazz.
Santana, Tom waits, ACDC, Bruce springsteen...
Maybe the pencil plan could work, would that be a good suggestion for the A10.2 gold
i ment to write A10.2 before The pensil plan is called 10.3, my wrong.
I have a Dali 104 speaker at home now.

Scott could well be right about that - as delightful as good wideband drivers may be, and the Alpairs are certainly in that class - they're not for everybody. In my own case, each of 2 systems ( running Alpair 7s at the moment) , include separately powered subs.

One is a 5.1 rig, in which, as has been discussed previously, widebanders can work quite well within certain limitations of room size and SPL levels.

The other system is "the wife's daily driver" - upstairs dining / living room / kitchen, and used almost entirely at moderate to low levels with "polite background / ambient" program material - no full blown romantic symphonies or club/trance electronica. It's been years since any system in this space has found its or the room's limits.

I speakers i listened to in a shop was Händel with A7 must have been the A7
Now when i look at the price i get confused. They costed 18.000 swedish kr and on the site that equals the A12 speakers, but they where not that big. I have to ask someone at the store or visit them again. But they sounded very good, so i figured i could try and build a pair
Händel Horn
They had an accuphase e-305, more wattage then my amp.
Well i just don't listen to heavy rock... but you have a point there Scottmoose

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sim of Handel Compact with A7.3

Using the dimensions provided and assuming 12 mm thick material, I reverse engineered the Handel Compact. The dimensions are 5.75 in wide x 3.7 in deep x 34.4 in long (internal). The length is folded once so height of cabinet is 17.2 in. Assuming a 0.5 in deep x 5.75 in wide up firing vent with length set at 8 in to get extension down to mid 40 Hz.

The design provides a nice flat bass shelf but may suffer from some cancellation depending on height of speaker placement. Whether it is on a shelf or desk or floor will impact this greatly. The sims assume placement on floor and are at 1 m away and 3 m away with 1 watt input.

Looks like a nice speaker to build though. Not too many designs will have a nice flat bass shelf like this.

Final plot is similar speaker design but made as a tall flat wall mount MLTL with down firing port. The dips are not as bad here, but depending on mounting height, YMMV.

Attachments

• Handel-A7-Freq-1m.png
    Handel-A7-Freq-1m.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Handel-A7-Freq-3m.png
    Handel-A7-Freq-3m.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Handel-A7-Impedance.png
    Handel-A7-Impedance.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Handel-A7-Displ.png
    Handel-A7-Displ.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 232
  • Flat-Wall-MLTL-A7-Freq-1m.png
    Flat-Wall-MLTL-A7-Freq-1m.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 56
Using the dimensions provided and assuming 12 mm thick material, I reverse engineered the Handel Compact. The dimensions are 5.75 in wide x 3.7 in deep x 34.4 in long (internal). The length is folded once so height of cabinet is 17.2 in. Assuming a 0.5 in deep x 5.75 in wide up firing vent with length set at 8 in to get extension down to mid 40 Hz.

The design provides a nice flat bass shelf but may suffer from some cancellation depending on height of speaker placement. Whether it is on a shelf or desk or floor will impact this greatly. The sims assume placement on floor and are at 1 m away and 3 m away with 1 watt input.

Looks like a nice speaker to build though. Not too many designs will have a nice flat bass shelf like this.

Final plot is similar speaker design but made as a tall flat wall mount MLTL with down firing port. The dips are not as bad here, but depending on mounting height, YMMV.

Thanks a lot for the info it was infact the Händel horn A7 i was listening to. They are working on a A10 and A12 is already out. The A10 and A12 is built differently

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think i'm after something similar to this well either the A7 or A10
I have no idea about the sound difference between the 2 enclosures. The Händel horn A7 is about the same size as my Dali 104 the A10 is larger. On my Dali i have 2, 6 1/2" bass and 1, 1" tweeter

I confess I do know a bit about the aforementioned enclosures, since the owner of the company is a friend of mine (strictly his designs before anyone asks, though in a couple of cases, I might have given a few indirect suggestions) -however, it's not something I can share for obvious reasons. I can however, confirm that they are of a very high quality.

Last edited:
I think i'm after something similar to this well either the A7 or A10
I have no idea about the sound difference between the 2 enclosures.

Wow, those boxes are very pretty, especially with the A10p drivers.:drool:

I think for you it's going to be less about the "sound difference" between the A7.3 & A10.3 in that style box, and more about the speakers ability to fill your listening space to adequate volume when required. I think A7.3's are really going to struggle when the going gets tough.

jeff

Last edited:
The bamboo construction looks really nice. Does anyone have a source for laminated bamboo panels? I was thinking bamboo flooring planks may be a low cost alternative. You will have to butt join them for anything wider than 5 in though.

That might be the type of material that Kurt is using, but I'd suggest care when considering any of the engineered flooring materials - many have only a cursory "veneer" of the species wood by which they're described, the rest being composed of veneer or stranded cross plies, or even MDF. That's fine for flooring, but makes fabrication of an enclosure with any structural integrity tedious at best.

True solid hardwood flooring materials can be costly and unless you're very confident working with solid wood, not the easiest material from which to build a speaker enclosure that can endure variations in environment conditions.

I've built more than a few enclosures from laminated bamboo plywood, it requires very sharp tooling , and a bit more patience and skill than working with plywood / MDF etc. Can certainly make for stunning enclosures

There are numerous regional distributors to consumers, such as Teragren, Cali, etc. -google is your friend - and of course anyone involved in the commercial woodworking trade will already have access to this material through their wholesale suppliers

Be prepared to spend upwards of $200 for a 3/4" 4x8 ft sheet - AFAIC this is definitely one of those areas were you get what you pay for - "thrifty short cuts" being false economy to my thinking.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 173
Wow, those boxes are very pretty, especially with the A10p drivers.:drool:

I think for you it's going to be less about the "sound difference" between the A7.3 & A10.3 in that style box, and more about the speakers ability to fill your listening space to adequate volume when required. I think A7.3's are really going to struggle when the going gets tough.

jeff

now, the A12P in the "right sized box" has very problem filling a room, on far less than 100watts

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When i last chatted with Kurt he was using 20mm solid bamboo flooring material for his cabinets.

We have used a number of grades of 18mm bamboo plywood (a vertical, horizontal, or stranded layer on either side of square blocks of bamboo. The stranded is definitly the superior material (and the priciest -- IIRC close to $300 for a 4x6 panel). Carefully done a natural finish on the raw bamboo is stunning and if you pay attention you can make it look like you spent a whole lot of time doing tedious marquetry.

bambooPAWO-collage.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.