Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newibe Help with small fullrange drivers and boxes please?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Boo 92 is offline Boo 92  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Newibe Help with small fullrange drivers and boxes please?

Hello all,

I am in the market to buy some small fullrange drivers to make for my daugther and her room. I saw this at a audio show years ago. It was a front load horn box using the Fostex FE 83En drivers here's a link?
DSC_0249 - Audiokarma.org Photo Gallery=

I tryed to google it but, nothing no plans came up for the speaker box? Also I am looking at the Fostex FF 85 WK drivers and the Audio Nirvana super cast frame 3's or the Mark audios CHR70A speakes? Please help me I am lost? The Bear.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:16 AM   #2
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Have a look thru the Planet_10 box library: Frugal-phile | Box Library

Personally, it would be a toss-up between the FF85WK & the Mark Audio A6p drivers. The Fostex can go into a tiny (2.0-2.5L) box, where as the A6p needs a slightly larger enclosure, but has more bass output, if that's important.

jeff
Old 7th July 2013, 03:18 AM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The picture shown is ostensibly a back-loaded horn, but in reality will be a TL variant.

The FF85wk us a killer little driver, the CHR requires a bigger box but will get lower bass.

dave
Old 7th July 2013, 03:20 AM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Those are back loaded horns. Front will have a horn sticking out like a funnel. I think IG made a pretty nice BLH with the FF85wk. For a small full range for a kids room I would go with the FF85wk, the Chr70, or any of the Tang Band W3's. Also, the Vifa tc9fd is very good - my favorite little driver for $12. For a kids' room go with a MLTL or a BIB. I made a stereo BIB for my daughter and she decorated the cabinet by painting it to match her room design.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Mark Audio A6p drivers. The Fostex can go into a tiny (2.0-2.5L) box, where as the A6p needs a slightly larger enclosure
A6p is pushing the price upwards but is VERY good. It can fit into a 2.5 litre box.

A comparo of FF85, and both flavours of A6.2
3" driver audition Fostex/Mark Audio

dave
Old 7th July 2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Boo 92 is offline Boo 92  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

Thank you for your help. I will haveto say the Alpair 6-p's I heard them adn they lack the top end and plus they are way to much money for my 10 year old daughter. I will have to look over a few more things like cabinet building. I have no one to help me and I have very limited tools right now. Well again thank you everyone for your help. The Bear.
Old 7th July 2013, 05:55 PM   #7
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I have no power tools other than drill and jigsaw which is why I make foam core speakers. Just need xacto and hot glue. Perfect for kids room speakers.
Old 7th July 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo 92 View Post
I will have to say the Alpair 6-p's I heard them and they lack the top end and plus they are way to much money for my 10 year old daughter.
If you think they lack "top end", you won't like the FF85WK. BTW, there's a used pair of FE103's on usaudiomart.com for about the price of one A6p. They would make a nice little desk-top speaker, approx. 5L vented box.

jeff
Old 7th July 2013, 08:56 PM   #9
EdKennedy is offline EdKennedy  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you would be very pleased with the CHR70-3 drivers in a Pencil or Micro Tower box. Give them time to break in properly, and the sound quality will surprise you.
Since this is going in a kid's room I recommend protecting the speakers with grilles. I remember seeing somebody protecting the drivers with grilles made from boxer fan finger guards.
Old 7th July 2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Decent "retro style" grilles with clamps cost next to nothing.
The CHRs are very "fun" sounding and engaging but be sure that she doesn't overload them.
If you are buying an amp too, make it a small class D. 15 watts should be more than enough for a small room. Otherwise think about how to limit the output of her setup. It's very easy to get carried away when you are a kid and won't have to pay or go through the trouble of changing drivers.
Most lumberyards will cut material to right angles with quite high precision.
All you have to do is cut a hole, glue, clamp, stuff, attach wires and presto a fullrange speaker. ;-)

Newibe Help with small fullrange drivers and boxes please?Hide this!Advertise here!