Newibe Help with small fullrange drivers and boxes please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I am in the market to buy some small fullrange drivers to make for my daugther and her room. I saw this at a audio show years ago. It was a front load horn box using the Fostex FE 83En drivers here's a link?
DSC_0249 - Audiokarma.org Photo Gallery=

I tryed to google it but, nothing no plans came up for the speaker box? Also I am looking at the Fostex FF 85 WK drivers and the Audio Nirvana super cast frame 3's or the Mark audios CHR70A speakes? Please help me I am lost? The Bear.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those are back loaded horns. Front will have a horn sticking out like a funnel. I think IG made a pretty nice BLH with the FF85wk. For a small full range for a kids room I would go with the FF85wk, the Chr70, or any of the Tang Band W3's. Also, the Vifa tc9fd is very good - my favorite little driver for $12. For a kids' room go with a MLTL or a BIB. I made a stereo BIB for my daughter and she decorated the cabinet by painting it to match her room design.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hello all,

Thank you for your help. I will haveto say the Alpair 6-p's I heard them adn they lack the top end and plus they are way to much money for my 10 year old daughter. I will have to look over a few more things like cabinet building. I have no one to help me and I have very limited tools right now. Well again thank you everyone for your help. The Bear.

I will have to say the Alpair 6-p's I heard them and they lack the top end and plus they are way to much money for my 10 year old daughter.

If you think they lack "top end", you won't like the FF85WK. BTW, there's a used pair of FE103's on usaudiomart.com for about the price of one A6p. They would make a nice little desk-top speaker, approx. 5L vented box.

jeff

I think you would be very pleased with the CHR70-3 drivers in a Pencil or Micro Tower box. Give them time to break in properly, and the sound quality will surprise you.
Since this is going in a kid's room I recommend protecting the speakers with grilles. I remember seeing somebody protecting the drivers with grilles made from boxer fan finger guards.

Decent "retro style" grilles with clamps cost next to nothing.
The CHRs are very "fun" sounding and engaging but be sure that she doesn't overload them.
If you are buying an amp too, make it a small class D. 15 watts should be more than enough for a small room. Otherwise think about how to limit the output of her setup. It's very easy to get carried away when you are a kid and won't have to pay or go through the trouble of changing drivers.
Most lumberyards will cut material to right angles with quite high precision.
All you have to do is cut a hole, glue, clamp, stuff, attach wires and presto a fullrange speaker. ;-)

If you think they lack "top end", you won't like the FF85WK. BTW, there's a used pair of FE103's on usaudiomart.com for about the price of one A6p. They would make a nice little desk-top speaker, approx. 5L vented box.

jeff

Hello there Jeff. I have had 2 pairs of the Fostex FF85wk and they are so good sounding after 70 hours of breakin. I sold both pairs to a couple of people who are looking for quick project ot do. I do have a pair of the fostex Fe103en laying around but, I have them saved for another project in the process. Thanks for your help. The bear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.