Help on choosing cabinets for corners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hoping to get suggestions on enclosures for an unusual placement.

You can see the current speakers at the end of the room - against the walls, in the corners.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The room is 2.8m x 9.6m (9 x 22').

I think the less than ideal speaker placement is a major factor in choosing new enclosures.

Are some enclosures less dependent on location?

particulars are:

Would like to use 6.5 - 8" Fostex drivers.

Max foot print is:
380mm (15") x 360mm (14")mm.

They will be powered by one of 3 amps:
KT88 based 50W mono blocks.
8W per channel 300B SET amp.
50W transistor amp.

Music played is:
Female Jazz
Acoustic Blues
80’s prog rock
Folk and Classical.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks, Mack

Its quite a small room for a 6.5 plus driver. If footprint is an issue, a BiB wedged into the corner like that will give a lot of low end for a small footprint but with a lot of height. For a room like this, I'd have thought this would be ideal for the frugal horn project?

A BIB would fit nicely but I think BIBs work best a few feet away from boundaries. 'Don't know how they'll sound pushed into the corners.

A BIB would fit nicely but I think BIBs work best a few feet away from boundaries. 'Don't know how they'll sound pushed into the corners.

In my experience BiBs work best few inches from the boundaries, few feet not required. :) Too much proximity is likely to boost the LF - maybe stuffing can tame some of that, but YMMV.

Also for 80s prog rock, Fostex drivers might not be the best choice. I've heard the FE166en (in BIBs) which is 6.5" driver and rock music was in no way its strong point. For acoustic and jazz - much more at home.

In my experience BiBs work best few inches from the boundaries, few feet not required. :) Too much proximity is likely to boost the LF - maybe stuffing can tame some of that, but YMMV.

Also for 80s prog rock, Fostex drivers might not be the best choice. I've heard the FE166en (in BIBs) which is 6.5" driver and rock music was in no way its strong point. For acoustic and jazz - much more at home.

I've always suspected that my FE166 BIBs kinda slur through complex parts.

Is there a full ranger driver that handles rock and acoustic? or is a compromise in order.

My BIBs are in what I thought was the correct place, a meter or so from the wall. But now that you mention it, I always end up with the 50hz and 100hz sliders pulled down on the laptop. I've thought about adding stuffing but I'll push the BIBs into the corners tonight. -Thanks!

I assumed that the room in the pic above would need at least 6.5' drivers to fill the room.

Thank You, Mack

Mack, for all the types of music you listed except for the classical and 80s prog rock, yes, probably the current Fostex FF165WK in something simple like an MLTL would suffice.

However, for the heavy duty cycle material, you might want to consider a "compromise" such as adding an 8" or so woofer per channel into the mix, and XO between 200-300. If you can afford the shelf space, use the 50W SS amp to power the woofers (at least for now) and the 300B on the FRs. That could even allow use of smaller driver for the mid/top end ( FF125WK or even the wonderful Alpair 7.3)

You didn't mention how tight into the corner you need to go, and whether rear mouth horn such as the DNA or FH3 would have placement issues.

In my experience BiBs work best few inches from the boundaries, few feet not required. :) Too much proximity is likely to boost the LF

Thanks zman. I moved my BIBs as far into the corners as possible. I was able to cut off the equalizer and blast bass heavy down-tempo tracks were intolerable before. I even had the 1 watt led flickering on the NAD 3020.

So BIBs are a contender for the room in question.

Some good suggestions; my only concern is that, if I'm looking at that picture correctly, there's some substantial pieces of furniture between you and said speakers (dining table, chairs et al). If that's the case, then as far as most types of direct radiator / nominal point source designs are concerned, quality sound reproduction is going to go out of the window, since you will have chronic problems with early reflections etc.

If that is indeed the case, & quality is paramount, then depending on budget, size constraints & so on, I would suggest you'll need to look either into something with tightly controlled directivity to reduce some of the potential issues -the logical extreme there is probably a focussed array. Or, alternatively, take the opposite approach & aim for an omnidirectional / semi-Omni design to dramatically increase the ratio of reflected to direct radiation, so you don't just get hit by one or two (some call them 'flooders' for obvious reasons). Very different types of sound of course, so YMMV.

Mack, for all the types of music you listed except ---You didn't mention how tight into the corner you need to go, and whether rear mouth horn such as the DNA or FH3 would have placement issues.

Speakers deeper than about 15" encroach on walkways.

Chris, you reckon FF165WKs in MLTLs would be the go. Seems kinda early in the thread. I'm used to much gnashing of teeth and anguish before deciding on a build.

Speakers deeper than about 15" encroach on walkways.

Chris, you reckon FF165WKs in MLTLs would be the go. Seems kinda early in the thread. I'm used to much gnashing of teeth and anguish before deciding on a build.

well don't let me get in the way of your analysis paralysis - actually I could suggest at least 3 or 4 different combination of drivers and configurations - including upper corner mounted FF125WK, with separate woofers, etc etc. :D

Thanks Chris and GM for the offer of more suggestions.

One can't forget the psychological aspects of this exercise. I know the MLTL is an excellent, proven design but, but, that hole for the bass is so small :). Plus it hasn't provided the required struggle, suffering and as my wife just said, "pathos". I think she's having a go at me.

If you're thinking tight to the wall/corner anyway maybe consider going up into ceiling corners? Nothing blocking the speakers up there.

Yup, soffitt mounting can be a practical solution, it sure doesn't chew up any floorspace or interfere with traffic patterns, and controlled directivity designs can reduce reflections from furniture (dining tables can be particularly nasty for that).

If there's no other options for placement but that end wall, it'd certainly be on my list of considerations.

Yup, soffitt mounting can be a practical solution,---

Very appealing idea. I can see how soffitt mounted speakers could be tuned to suit the room perfectly. If it were my house I'd investigate further but the room in question is not mine.

Going tall is an option and a good way to get volume (volume makes it easier doesn't it?)

Speakers need to be free standing... and have good plans.

I'll google Alpair 10.x BIBs.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.