Pensils for Alpair 10.3 & Alpair 10p

Nolperi - while it’s certainly within the DIY / Frugalphile philosophy to recycle old cabinets, it’s a bit of a crapshoot to hope for the best performance out of the
Alpairs - I think they deserve more.
There are numerous well proven designs by Scott, Dave and others for every driver produced by Mark Audio since the original EL70 - including some specifically for center channel.
I’m currently running Pensils and one of Dave’s centres as front row in a mid sized 7.1 rig, and while not “Reference” grade, I’m quite happy with the results.

Respectively

-No, but it's recommended, and

-As stated in the plans, default damping is a uniform density of hollow-fibre polyfill, 1.56lbs (0.707Kg) total per enclosure. It is intended that the user will adjust this to suit their requirements from that default / baseline, which is the reason for the removable back panel, as it makes adjusting damping quantities &c. much easier.

If you look at planet10s cabinet plans figuring the dimensions is just a case of figuring the inside dimensions of the box. You need to make a cutout to fit the speaker against but that’s probably best done by cutting to rough size and then adjusting once you’ve got the. Cabs built and speakers fitted. You can make the cutout over large and add gasket sealing tape as needed to touch the magnet.

There is no such thing as a high frequency gain when a driver is mounted in an enclosure. Its HF performance is what it is, notwithstanding any diffraction &c. effects. You get LF losses caused by the transition from 2pi to 4p radiation space when wavelengths exceed the baffle dimensions. Whether they are an issue depends on the innate frequency response of the drive unit and the enclosure load. MA drivers have a rising response toward lower frequencies; with an appropriate enclosure alignment & accounting for typical room gain, these balance out LF losses without requiring an HF shelving filter.

Reactions: 1 user
My room is 11'x9'....I have a pair of Markaudio Alpair 10p drivers. I was reading a lot and thought i will build a Pensil cabinet for them. But now after reading and knowing things about FHXL, I feel pretty intrigued. I want to know if FHXL will be alright for the size of my room and a practical comparison of sound signature between Pensil cabinet and FHXL. I will be using no suwoofer..so a little discussion about bass response of the two cabinets will be helpful.
Thanks in advance....

My room is 11'x9'....I have a pair of Markaudio Alpair 10p drivers. I was reading a lot and thought i will build a Pensil cabinet for them. But now after reading and knowing things about FHXL, I feel pretty intrigued. I want to know if FHXL will be alright for the size of my room and a practical comparison of sound signature between Pensil cabinet and FHXL. I will be using no suwoofer..so a little discussion about bass response of the two cabinets will be helpful.
Thanks in advance....

ujju3doc,

I have not heard the Alpair 10P in Pensils, but have heard them in an MLTL and the FHXL. From memory, probably the FHXL went a little lower in bass, but the MLTL low frequency output was also good. IIRC, the FHXL cabinet is close to 18 inches deep, so the Pensil will be easier to place in you 11' x 9' room. The Pensil is also an easier build.