A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces

here's an odd looking case - IF i did it right -- Eminence Omega 18 a 1.2:1 scale Belle with vented back chamber vs 1.2:1 Scale 115BK. The vented Belle is about twice the size of the K-box yet looks really no more potent in the bass - punch range

maybe this would be a good reason to try a 1.2 scale 115bk (?) - with a strong/low mass 18, the scaled 115Bk ought
to function ok as a "kick bin"

if the sims are ballpark, then admit the horn has some power handling advantage in the 80-100Hz area.

MMJ has an interesting Super Planar kickbin posted for 2X 12"

lossy L model was used for Omega18

hKLvFSu.jpg

Last edited:
Is "this" that horn ?

at 29" wide by 26.375 deep by 34 inches high, its ~ 15 cubic foot external bulk - di d it run EV12L ?

I wonder how much it would suffer if cut right down the middle for 1-12 ?

2x12%2BHorn.jpg

That's the design. He has a single 12 design on line a little different but essentially half of this one. I believe he used an EV12L.

Hey freddi, a bit OT here, but since were talking horns, I saw over on AA hi-eff forum that you got a couple of (relatively) big horns built by thejessman. Do you have finished pics of them, measurements, subjective impressions? What drivers did you run in there?

I'd like to try and design/build an upright (mid)bass horn for a 10" or 12" driver someday, but I know it won't be small.

Here's a little something I came up with a while back for the Celestion TF1020. Essentially a somewhat compromised 100Hz front midbass horn. Vb is quite manageable IMO.

ft1020_midbass_horn_hr_sim.jpg

Power shown for 2.83V, but can take 8V before reaching Xmax at ~50Hz where unloaded, with output at 75Hz being 110dB, not too shabby. Note the sim is for 2*Pi space as well.

Last edited:
that is nice ~19" x 19" mouth area - have you tried to fold it?

An actual build would indeed be folded and help with low-passing midrange content.

With 150L (5.3cu.ft) internal, I'm sure it could be managed under 9cu.ft external.

It would be for home use where conditions migth be somewhat more closer to 1*Pi and the SPL plenty IMO. I know from experience that the TF1020 I used to have overloaded gracefully enough when driven hard, so it could presumably take higher than 8V input.

I don't have need or space for this speaker, but I stashed the sim and data in a folder in case I change my mind. :)

Are Karlson useful for "Kickbin" duty ?

guess it depends upon the sub, user's requirements. If carry say 80 or 100Hz up then the "X15" size (about 4.5 cubic foot external volume) could be pretty good.

mini kickbin Kappa 12A in K12 Size K-box vs 50% larger mini HD15 ("HD12" - lol)
- the little K is overhemed
7DNkbSd.png

K12 vs LB76 withi good 15 plus M151 in HD15 vs LB76
Xt6M4dV.jpg

adding another 20L with a full sized 115BK, that cabinet with a 15 looks reasonably competitive with a n HD15. HD15 has an excursion advantage in the 100Hz area
b0VwU1k.jpg

It would be good to have a hornresp model of CUBO's "KICK" cabinets
as assume those are really tweaked for that duty

Last edited:
I fleshed out the TF1020 horn a bit more. I reduced length to 152cm instead of 172cm, but the rest is unchanged. Note the below simulation is for 1*Pi space.

Bold: 152cm
Light: 172cm
power_152cm_vs_172cm.PNG

External bulk is 6.25 cubit feet. The exponential flare is accurate enough IMO. I could probably figure it out for a rectangular box, but I like this style of upright bass horn. Not drawn are mouth and internal bracing.

ft1020_midbass_horn.png

Last edited:
Yeah, there just is no convenient flat top on which to set a midrange unit. The almost 40" height makes it a bit high for a horn on top as well. It would be easy to integrate an angled-down K-tube on the inside of the slanted top, but this can only really play down to 1.5kHz, so needs something for 300Hz and up to there.

ew: TPC = dunno - there's an Eminence SWR 10 at Ebay which might give a bit more top than TF1020, plus rated 3mm Xmax

btw - I think a Klipschorn's midhorn center is in the ballpark of that height -

maybe your horn would be of interest at the Klipsch Technical/modifications forum

I could see it as a three way cornerhorn with mid and tweeter on top with
some sort of separately powered compact subwoofer

sometime - if you don't mind - put some dims on that drawing above - is it fully scaled?

h1VLzDV.jpg

Last edited: