A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces

Sorry Freddi for not communicating clearly. For this .205 volume K you will be looking for a full range driver with an optimum vented bass reflex volume of 22 litres. internal volumes are the deciding factor. since you already have the box maybe you can scout for a good driver. good luck and good hunting

I'm looking for the best small K which can play 120+ dB peaks as to compete with larger front loaded horns. I don't think an 8 will do it. I would like a dedcated midrange K with good sensitivity which could handle power and not have obnoxious resonances/dips/peaks

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Kurvy K with 3FE22

This is a K15 scaled down for a 3.5in Faital Pro 3FE22 (16ohm) driver. The curved front does a nice job of eliminating the front chamber hollowness. I am listening to it now (powered by Pass M2 Class A and my own SE Class A CFP preamp) on some jazz vocals with a stand up bass and have to say that I am surprised how good it sounds. I haven't measured it, and don't plan to, as these are just fun speakers. The 91dB sensitive 3FE22 has a particularly strong Nd magnet motor, so I think that works well with this alignment. The imaging is very nice and tight with a single fullrange.

Base measures 5.5in x 5.5in and whole thing is 9in high - a very compact little K. I know Freddi will love this :D

617309d1495344367-speaker-kicks-butt-large-spaces-kurvy-k-0.33x.jpg

Attachments

• Kurvy-K-0.33x.jpg
    Kurvy-K-0.33x.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 918
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You mean give details on internal dimensions etc? There is not much to say other than it's a direct scale-down per driver nominal size and I simply reduced the front chamber volume by curving the aperture all the way to where the top board with the vent meets the top panel.

I think it will work well with a larger driver like a 12in coax.

well - you might post it separately with a brief discussion - regarding 12cx version - do you think the 1956K12 style most appropriate ?

would it be kinda like so ? - the way I crudely did this, there isn't a lot of front chamber volume reducitno. I don't know what's "optimum" for some 12CX

DlCRBln.jpg

Last edited: