Go Back   Home > Forums > >

A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2013, 07:22 PM   #31
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Keep meaning to try these. I'll most likely test my current-drive chip-amp on the FF225WK in SK8, as it's my second lowest Qms driver around. This faster aperture might be friendlier to it and should avoid excessive peaking at ~220Hz.

IG
Old 21st June 2013, 09:03 PM   #32
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
yeah - that's the TSG with the yellow spider/dustcap - -in the tall SK8, I think 1772 was pretty good. That coupler may be a bit too tall or not the best front chamber shape. Lapaire seemed to like GB's scheme better than the Karlsonette/SK8 version. 1772 seemed happy in the little SK8. The coaxials can "beat" the fullrange in some ways.

hey XRK971 - K12 can work well with some 8 inch speakers as noted all the way back to 1955 by Julian Hirsch. Once you're into the 0.8 mode, can you easily reduce just the back chamber?
Freddi,
When you say reduce back chamber volume, do you want me to do it to driver chamber only below the shelf or overall below and above shelf? Still keep the shelf gap constant though right?
Old 21st June 2013, 11:22 PM   #33
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

below and above = "overall" - maybe one-third to a half cubic foot reduction total on the 12" version run with 8 inch driver. you might not have to increase the rear shelf gap. A K12's rear chamber sometimes seems a bit large for some 8 inch drivers. I have a "K10" size coupler loaded with Delta 10B which seems pretty punchy (there's no front shelf nor would it likely help in a "K10" package) I picked the Delta 10s up on sale and think they can do the job

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Last edited by freddi; 21st June 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:45 PM   #34
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Ooh....... nice stain!

GM
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:15 AM   #35
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Freddi,
How many Karlson boxes do you have? I see new and different ones all the time. Nice...
Old 22nd June 2013, 05:22 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

little shed has one klam 18 - one 8 cubic foot coupler cut for 18 - one Karlsonette copy a single diy K15. Indoors = two Weiss klam8, two klam8 copies in plywood, two beat factory X15, two almost right X15 copies in plywood, two factory K12 with 4 - slot vent from the middle 1960's, 1-K8 from the mid 60s, two blonde K15 from the 1950's - two beat factory K15's , a pair of K15's from Martin Needleman (say G'nite Gracie - LOL) - one klam 15 try, two klam 10, one k8 in bad shape from the 1950's, one factory Karlsonette from ~1955, two factory K12 with 6-slit vent, two nice K12 copies, two more K12 copies with 6-slit vent, one tall and rather slender K18 , K-tubes. two tall SK8, one SK8, Art's dad's 8 inch couplers,

then there's a few horns and other junk. I need more Ks for sure (no kidding .. )

Last edited by freddi; 22nd June 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:33 AM   #37
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

What is difference between X15 and K15?
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:38 AM   #38
kenpeter is offline kenpeter  United States
diyAudio Member

From one of Freddi's old posts...
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Smaller than K15, three angle upper chamber, extra holes, no front shelf...
I gather there is some kind of stubby KTube hidden inside the bigger one.

Last edited by kenpeter; 23rd June 2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:08 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

that would have been a pretty accurate copy but my kutter accidentally put the driver center 7/8" higher than spec. My factory X15 are IIRC, 19.25" wide, ~14" deep and about 28" tall. Acoustic Control's little 115BK with the large vent is 27" tall, 20.5" wide and 15" deep - but it's wings are inset about 1.5" so a 115BK copy without wings inset would be 13.5" deep. This family has about the same LF cutoff as factory K12 but I think cone excursion is less due to a lot more cone area.

Kenpeter is correct on that particular K-tube. Another set of X15 owned by Johny Holiday has tubes smaller in diameter and likely no internal gizmo.

here's Carl's clone of the 1.875" x 7.25" (overall length) K-tube from my set of X15 showing the internal scattering piece.

Last edited by freddi; 23rd June 2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:20 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Carl, without access to the original X15 internal details made an X15 interpretation using the advertised dimensions of 15"D x 20"W x 28" high and also made a 9 inch long tube based on the tube that was used in my beat-up set of factory X15. For tuning and research, Carl's coupler had adjustable vent s and adjustable rear lowpass shelf-gap. In more recent builds he says a fully curved reflector improved the sound quality. Here's his early X15 build - the K-tube is mounted on the upper reflector board and tilted 30 degrees downwards.

A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large SpacesHide this!Advertise here!