Go Back   Home > Forums > >

A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2017, 04:47 PM   #991
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

FANTASTIC ! Many Thanks - that Karlsonator alignment has great bass extension- -Look at that same driver in the 0.7X Classic - If the rear chamber were only 6 liters as
in the sim below, predicted xmax would only hit 4.2mm at 28.3v below the passband and about 3mm at 100Hz.

15mm BB can be flexy but this thing is pretty well braced

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 18th May 2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 18th May 2017, 06:13 PM   #992
hoyungh is offline hoyungh
diyAudio Member

slightly off topic. Freddi did you mention you already have a 0.62K 15 and if you do would you also have foamcore and a hot glue gun for experimenting? i am sorry if you find my questions too forward/rude
Old 18th May 2017, 08:14 PM   #993
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Freddi has something much better than hot glue and foamcore: money to make speakers, and a talented and reasonably priced cabinet maker who uses real BB plywood to make his mental creations!

Member, Thejessman is the talented builder I speaker of. He makes great speaker cabinets.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:40 PM   #994
diyAudio Member

I don't have "money" - rather - re-appropriate clothes money, etc. on K's

TheJessMan can saw pretty good - the corners on my 0.62 scale K15 "K10" have flawless lock-miter joints. Unfortunately, the cutouts are only large enough for Eminence's stamped frame woofers, so leaves out my Eminence B102, Beyma 10G200, and P-Audio cast basket 10s

I don't have mobility to get formcore - I can see where it might be better than plywood for small builds as its lossy and doesn't seem to trap the mids so much which could cause high Q resonances (does that make sense ???)

5/8" Baltic birch is pretty good as long as there is a lot of bracing. The back panel and wings of this
little K could stand some bracing. An 8 cubic bulk horn was made mostly of 5/8" BB and is pretty rigid.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 18th May 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:43 PM   #995
diyAudio Member

WOW. thats a beauty. if you don't want to mar the finish on that by using foamcore and a hot glue gun i totally get you. must be nice to have enough money to get all those speaker drives. but not all you mentioned in earlier post model as well as the guitar 10 data you gave so i thought you might like to tweak it a bit to see how it goes. i am really glad X introduced his models and showed how he does foamcore. there is a joy to experimenting as well. thank you X
Old 19th May 2017, 12:27 AM   #996
diyAudio Member

what kind of tweaks?
Old 19th May 2017, 06:49 AM   #997
diyAudio Member

There are 3 chambers in the 0.62 K. Rear chamber 48.2 lit top chamber 24.6lit and front chamber 39.5lit. reduce top chamber from 24.6 to 15.6 lit. for the ports between rear and top chamber use 2 pieces of 2inch pvc pipe 3cm long. for the port between top chamber and front chamber use a 2inch pvc pipe 3 cm long. Good luck and good hunting
Old 19th May 2017, 08:21 AM   #998
diyAudio Member

That K10's external dimensions are 14"W x20.5"H x 11.4" deep for a total external bulk of ~1.85 cubic feet or ~52.3 liters.. I think K15's external bulk is about 7.3 cubic feet X 0.62^3 ~1.74 cubic feet - so reasonably close to "0.62" scale.

Figure out what re-tuning, etc to try with this volume and I might be able to do
something. There's really not much back volume total for a 10 inch speaker so I think it would run best with low Q PA type.

K15 by Carl's estimation

vf = 2.3 cu ft ~18.2 liter front chamber for this K10
vb = 4.0 cu ft ~28.3 liter total rear chamber for this K10 (before driver displacement)
sb = 32 sq. inches (1956 spec - original port was 40sq.in.)
sf = 222 sq inches ( aperture area - is that about right for K15?)

I could black part of this 0.62X cabinet's port with Beta 10cx and there little change on a graph - but
subjectively it sounded "neutered"

Last edited by freddi; 19th May 2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 19th May 2017, 09:29 AM   #999
diyAudio Member

- guess Vb rear total (bottom plus top chamber) going by scale is more like 27 liters before driver displacement. I my try to mount my Nirvana Super 10 stamped frame and Celestion TF1020. It did fairly well with FE206EN Someone with a good - flexible test-K might be able to optimized things pretty fast. It could have variable rear chamber volume, a hinged speaker baffle to experiment with tilt, pieces to experiment with chamber shape and reflector type, removable port panel for experiments, adjustable rear shelf/lowpass gap.
Old 19th May 2017, 10:41 AM   #1000
diyAudio Member

wow Freddi. huge communication gap. your actual dimensions 0.6*0.6*0.57=0.205 volume. can you please get me or give me link for actual bass 10in driver because now actual volume of driver cone and magnet is significant portion of rear chamber. also not many drivers model well in X's models. This particular driver models a bit like TC9FD with drooping high freq output. most of others you listed had no high freq out in X's model. Thank you for your trouble/effort

A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large SpacesHide this!Advertise here!