Full Range Voice Range single speaker and enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a mid range driver which would be the best for listening to voice?

It could be just me but voice streams over the internet which is how I get my news-- voice streams from actual radio stations broadcasting on air and archived-- have a very fatiguing bassy sound.

I like to refer to the experiment which tells the listener to stand in front of another and have them talk. That is how the voice and acoustics sound.

Simply put, getting rid of the bassy enhancements so fond of by board operators for Professional Radio is what I'd like to get rid of-- the Top Forty Guy sound is tiring and best done away with.

This should be a single driver solution. I know that programs like Goldwave can tune a WAV file to within an inch of its life. But the goal here is to be able to turn on the computer for a radio archive news report without hearing Joe Basso Profundo and his Magic Microphone.

There is a worst case example I can link to but I'd rather get some thoughts on the concept first.

Last edited:
Are you asking about contemporary drivers? or any and all, including vintage?

In the vintage corner I find a 5 in to 8 in mid-range cone driver would be what the doctor ordered for this type of specific application.

The Bozak B400 8" Mid comes to mind as well as Wharfedale Super 8. JMTCW

Is there a mid range driver which would be the best for listening to voice?

It could be just me but voice streams over the internet which is how I get my news-- voice streams from actual radio stations broadcasting on air and archived-- have a very fatiguing bassy sound.

I like to refer to the experiment which tells the listener to stand in front of another and have them talk. That is how the voice and acoustics sound.

Simply put, getting rid of the bassy enhancements so fond of by board operators for Professional Radio is what I'd like to get rid of-- the Top Forty Guy sound is tiring and best done away with.

This should be a single driver solution. I know that programs like Goldwave can tune a WAV file to within an inch of its life. But the goal here is to be able to turn on the computer for a radio archive news report without hearing Joe Basso Profundo and his Magic Microphone.

There is a worst case example I can link to but I'd rather get some thoughts on the concept first.

What do you listen through/to now?

I'm not sure what you mean by moderate pricing, but I'll shoot anyway...

Lowther C series, PM6 model. Guaranteed bass will be stripped off :D

Or even better, model C45. If you want only 80-3500Hz you can order one without whizer cone.

Or Supravox 165 LB

If all that is too expensive - AUDAX PR170NO, 6.5" driver, midrange, up to 8 kHz, fs 117 Hz, 100$.

The Madisound Speaker Store

Since you only want to listen the voice maybe you can consider mono? that way you can go for better driver.

Erm... I've poked around in the $40 range of drivers for a long time. The current setups I have to do this listening involve a number of single experimental builds with full range. Stereo is only a moderate consideration for a regular classical music station whose web stream I get in Ogg Vorbis through a Parts Express tripath amp-- the little DTA-1 with no mods.

No Bose labyrinth desktop radios needed but the Tivoli design always looked cute to me.

The Full range I have to play with in that size is a Mark Audio chp70 gen2 natural paper

Elsewhere I have Fostex FE127e (no mod) in a BIB, Fostex 167 small BR box and a couple of Roland full range I got on deal, one mounted in sealed box, the other ENABled and not currently in use. The Roland electric piano speaks perform well even if $8.00 each.

To tune this audio problem I've used the EQ from various players but that is not giving the right effect. I suppose if I cannot describe the problem, the solution will escape us.

this little Crunch 8" goes to ~9KHz on-axis - it comes in 4 & 8 ohm versions so if you get one be careful of the description

4 ohm
Amazon.com: Crunch CRSS8.4 Full Range Screamers: Car Electronics

8 ohm
http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-CRSS8-...d=1370997807&sr=1-3&keywords=crunch+screamers

I like the ~$27 (US$ at Partsexpress) Visaton BG20 8" fullrange but not sure how it would fare for your application

a simple little open baffle would remove bass and probably some tubbiness

P10's speaker choice has treble extension which could help depending upon signal quality

there's some serious proximity effect / compression and eq with some announcers - ha

Last edited:
+4 on the FF85WK - in a good little box ( ie approx 2 liters), can be a surprising performer for more than just voice - I'm using them for near field ( less than 1 meter) computer speakers at both work and home, driven by the delightful and affordable Topping TP30 ( 1/3 the cost of my first class T-amp)

yes, they'd need woofers to achieve any respectable amount of bass in larger spaces

of course with the forward midrange presence for which Fostex are renown, they'll do little to mitigate excessive EQ/compression that seems to be bred into the DNA of radio and TV sound mixers. The first time you meet one of your local radio personalities in the flesh you wonder what the hell happened to their voice?

Aura NS3

If you want a better bass extension in a smaller box, the Aura NS3 can do better than the FF85WK. The NS3 has higher Qts and sounds great even sealed in a mini 0.8 liter box.

OTOH, the FF85 has to be ported and hence will need larger box, but has smaller X-max. However it will sound more bright and "less compressed" at lesser power.

The $60 Emimence BETA-8A gets good reviews as an 95db efficient midrange.

WIKI:
Vocal_range is the measure of the breadth of pitches that a human voice can phonate. The most common application of the term "vocal range" is within the context of singing, where it is used as one of the major defining characteristics for classifying singing voices into groups known as voice types.

The following are the general vocal ranges associated with each voice type using scientific pitch notation where middle C=C4. Some singers within these voice types may be able to sing somewhat higher or lower:

Soprano: C4 – C6
Mezzo-soprano: A3 – A5
Contralto: F3 – F5
Tenor: C3 – C5
Baritone: F2 – F4
Bass: E2 – E4

In terms of frequency, human voices are roughly in the range of 80 Hz to 1100 Hz (that is, E2 to C6) for normal male and female voices together.

Fundamental Speech frequency
The voiced speech of a typical adult male will have a fundamental frequency from 85 to 180 Hz, and that of a typical adult female from 165 to 255 Hz.

Telephony and equal power:
Telephone transmission is optimized for 300-3000 Hz since the small telephone receiver speaker can cover this range while isolating 60Hz/120Hz/180Hz power noise, and the brain can rebuild a voice fundamental from the upper harmonics. Speakers with 300-3,000Hz crossovers avoid midrange intermodulation (doppler) distortion and unequal power dissipation problems, but they put a xover in the vocal range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.