70's Cable radio Speaker to Bluetooth Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All!
I am ANtonio, an italian guy, and I discovered your forum! Fabuolous! I think this is the place for sharing my new passion for repurposing speakers.

diffy03_%25281024_x_768%2529.jpg

My first project is turning this old 70's cable radio speaker into a good quality speaker for portable mp3s, ipod and so on, with both jack and bluetooth connectivity. I was thinking for a T-amp as amplifier, like Dayton Audio DTA-2 or something TA2024 based.

My question about driver:I want to replace the 3"x5" with a really good full range speaker...but with which? I don't find other 3"x5"..maybe it is better to use a normal 3" like HiVi B3N or Tang Band W3-881SJF?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What are dimensions of speaker box? Is it sealed or ported? Is it stereo or mono? Since you are suggesting 3 in driver I would go with a 3.5 in if room allows. Use a Vifa TC9FD driver great sound and great value. You might want to check out rectangular or square shaped flat drivers (Balanced Mode Radiators). You might have room for two and do stereo. I would go with a TPA3122 amp rather than TA202x. TI's sound better in my opinion.
Hope that helps v

Thank you very much Pano, xrk971. The box is 4.75" x 3.5" x 4.5", sealed (but I could open a port if you seggest me where :)).
You see in attachment the front back. The "drilled" area is 2"x4", maximum allowance is 3"x5". Maybe 3.5" is too much...what can I look at? Good idea having a stereo" maybe 2 pieces of maximum 2.5". What do you think?

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 122
My first thought is that it's a pity mangling such a beautiful radio.
I can't pin down the designer but it looks something like the Brionvega stuff from the 60's and 70's. Are you sure you want to do this if it is working alright or if it can possibly be repaired?
Regardless of what you think personally, it could be worth a lot (as opposed to nothing if you go ahead with your plan) in resale.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.