Decware DNA Horn

It's Bob's interpretation of X's interpolation of a picture :D

Anyway, still waiting, so I did some physical readings of the actual build. It will be interesting to make a linear graph of the dimensions. Don't think this first one will be pretty.:eek:

Attachments

• Reads.JPG
    Reads.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 576
Got delivery - but, need to decide how to mount. I didn't notice the front paper sealing ring that allows internal mounting. The back of the frame is smooth enough to use a thin gasket if mounted on the face.

Any recommendations ???

Attachments

• DSC00961.JPG
    DSC00961.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 548
  • 20130508_162053.jpg
    20130508_162053.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 531
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Got delivery - but, need to decide how to mount. I didn't notice the front paper sealing ring that allows internal mounting. The back of the frame is smooth enough to use a thin gasket if mounted on the face.

Any recommendations ???

Depending on how tight of a fit you have between the driver and cutout, it doesn't hurt to put a thin ring gasket of plumbers' putty. A tight seal may be essential for the best bass extension. Don't want a pinhole leak to ruin your bass. A foam rubber gasket can also be cut but the lip seems very narrow.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's Bob's interpretation of X's interpolation of a picture :D

Anyway, still waiting, so I did some physical readings of the actual build. It will be interesting to make a linear graph of the dimensions. Don't think this first one will be pretty.:eek:

Looks good Bob. Go with it and let's get first sound now that your drivers are there! :)

Ready to close it up.

I used electricians putty - old habits are hard to break. Have hot glue seal at cable passes.

Anyone want to make a guess on stuffing?

Attachments

• 20130508_172739.jpg
    20130508_172739.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 564
  • 20130508_175920.jpg
    20130508_175920.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 579
  • 20130508_175930.jpg
    20130508_175930.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 572
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Start with light stuffing, say half density of what a pillow uses. Can always add more via cutout. The question is should a little be added in any of the channels? I would also add a light amount in the thin channel right after the throat - make sure it is teased out of one single wad of stuffing. This way, you can always remove with a wire hook through the throat hole. But you can never put it back. This location may be needed because it is the few places with two parallel walls that can support a standing resonance and it may help to absorb back end reflections in a quarter wave pipe.

AND THE VERDICT IS......

"Well worth the effort !

Sorry I couldn't say super fantastic, but I'll be honest. It has a very clean firm low end. I did have one leak at the cable entry and the internal pressure showed it immediately. The air path is working fine.

At three feet from the speaker there is enough SPL to flutter/vibrate the legs on my pants. Vibrations carry across the room clearly though not with the heft of a large speaker and a properly designed wood cabinet.

It is difficult to really judge as too much high end is reaching the driver itself. I think it will sound completely different with a crossover. Haven't had time to check how much top end is coming from the mouth but I can say it's not a lot

Here is the big payoff -I plugged in a Cornu without touching anything but the pause button and wow! This thing has equivalent bottom - maybe a bit more - but the cornu sounds like a mush ball in comparison to the DNA horn. :cool:

I have no hesitation about completing it's twin and anticipate hearing the full stereo effect will be something special. I may have to eat my words later, but this driver is outperforming the Vifa from the mids down.

Can't wait to hear reports on the wood version. I'll remind us all that half the value of FC is prototyping and sometimes we get something that in itself is useful and complete. I bet this thing will be gorgeous in wood and a little help on the top end. As is, many builders will be satisfied with the performance as a final solution

I tested with a Walkman -> BrianGT -> DNA. I have a copy of TreuRTA and will calibrate and post what I find.

I'm happy - well worth the effort and highly promising.:D

Attachments

• 20130508_200545.jpg
    20130508_200545.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 558