Decware DNA Horn

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
OOps - I thought you were suggesting 1/2 material. Do you think the standard thickness is stable enough?

I am sure they will sound better (less body resonance and vibration) with the half inch material. Plus, that stuff is a direct replacement for the half inch plywood so it will sit right on top of the plan as drawn. If you go with the 3/16 in thick stuff, it will be flimsier, but with adequate bracing strips, and perhaps 1/4 in ply or masonite on the front or side panels or both in addition to the foam, it may be just fine. I have lots of the 3/16 in sheets already so I will make it with that. I am curious to see how the HD or Lowes half in thick extruded foam insulation sheathing material works out though. One of those 4x8 sheets costs about $12 as I recall so you can build a few of these.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Is anyone going to build them out of conventional materials (ply / mdf)? I am blessed to own a pair of the recommended TB drivers, but am currently cursed with a bad shoulder so until it heals, I'm in armchair DIY mode.

An injured shoulder is a good reason to try out making stuff with foam core as all you need to hold is a razor blade and ruler! That 5 in TB W5-1880 is a heavy driver though so you will need to double-up or triple-ply the foam core on the baffle if you do. The bass performance due to the horn will be just as good as making out of wood/ply/mdf - no sawdust and no power tool needed.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bob,
That's it - note it is actually 0.75 in thick even though called half inch. Go figure. You will have to adjust plan as needed to compensate for extra thickness. The stuff feels like egg carton foam with nice closed cells. You will have a pink cabinet. Girls will like it :) Nothing a roller of wall paint or wall paper can't fix.

Bob,
That's it - note it is actually 0.75 in thick even though called half inch. Go figure. You will have to adjust plan as needed to compensate for extra thickness. The stuff feels like egg carton foam with nice closed cells. You will have a pink cabinet. Girls will like it :) Nothing a roller of wall paint or wall paper can't fix.

FWIW, Member kenpeter and I screwed around with styrofoam smithhorns a few years back. See http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/153831-styrofoam-smith-horn.html#post1958688

I have the plans for this speaker and there aren't any suggestions of lining/stuffing the horn path. I suspect like other horns, the chamber behind the driver can get some stuffing and the inside of the folds can be lined with felt. I would like to hear from someone who built this so I think I'll check out Steve's site and look at the support forum.

I wasn't aware that Steve or Bob Z offer / authorize release of the plans for this design - if not, I'd be very wary of anything second guesses / reverse engineered from a a website sketch up drawing.

edit: OOPs, I see they do

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that Steve or Bob Z offer / authorize release of the plans for this design - if not, I'd be very wary of anything second guesses / reverse engineered from a a website sketch up drawing.

edit: OOPs, I see they do

The plans (of which I own a copy) are available for purchase. I have no idea what the built product sounds like (yet). Looks like a BVR - horn hybrid.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That's prolly a misprint. I've never heard of 0.5", only 0.75" and up, from your local building supply stores.

I don't think it is a misprint, I bet the nominal dimension is the thickness of the extrusion die. Once the wet foam is extruded it continues to expand before hardening at whatever thickness it happens to be based on local ambient conditions like temp, barometric pressure, humidity, etc. The only number they can quote is the extrusion die they use. As the 0.594 in thickness is neither here nor there - varies lot to lot probably... ???

I don't think it is a misprint, I bet the nominal dimension is the thickness of the extrusion die. Once the wet foam is extruded it continues to expand before hardening at whatever thickness it happens to be based on local ambient conditions like temp, barometric pressure, humidity, etc. The only number they can quote is the extrusion die they use. As the 0.594 in thickness is neither here nor there - varies lot to lot probably... ???

Dunno,

I only deal with the thick stuff and it is dimensionally correct. (it has to be for design purposes) and I didn't think it came less than 3/4", that's all. :)

I think you'll find plywoods vary much more over their nominal dimensions than say, sanded MDF, or insulation panels

This is a DIY for personal use with dimensions estimated from publicly available drawings provided by the designer - there is no limitation on whether or not you can do this. Cut away...

As I corrected in my earlier post, all I had to do was look at the Decware website to find that measured plans are available @ $20 - a reasonable figure

The design certainly looks less complex and practical than his corner horn design of over a decade ago. Those I acquired a set of, but never got around to building - as much due to the absence of a suitable room that could be dedicated to their use as their complexity. Well, OK, they're not the simplest design either, but the little DNA looks fairly straight forward.