Decware DNA Horn

RPN calculators

Nice calculator btw. HP 32S II is arguably the best RPN HP ever made from usability and speed standpoint. I still use mine.

I use my HP48G every day... and arguably the 'best' HP calc made. Mine's at least 25 years old..

A quick question. How do these compare to Frugalhorns? (Dave? Chris?).BTW, Salah seems to really love his Frugalhorns...

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… How do these compare to Frugel-horns? (Dave? Chris?).

We may be considered biased but i do not think thry reach the level of finesse and versatility of the frugel-horns

BTW, Salah seems to really love his Frugel-horns...

Always good to hear about a satisfied customer. What amp did he end up with?

dave

Well I'd be lying if I tried to proclaim complete objectivity on the subject, but I think it's fair to say the Frugels are a much simpler build than Deckert's rather convoluted little design. I only had a very brief opportunity to run the latter with same model of driver (A7.3), and would opine that the FH3 "breathe" more effortlessly- but see my opening

I use my HP48G every day... and arguably the 'best' HP calc made. Mine's at least 25 years old..
:D
A quick question. How do these compare to Frugel-horns? (Dave? Chris?).BTW, Salah seems to really love his Frugel-horns...
We talk about the Frugel-Horn Mk3 right?

Anyone built the original Frugel-Horn to basic Level 0? It would be something closer to the DNA design wise. What I love about the DNA is the small form factor. If it delivers anywhere close to a Frugel-Horn Mk3 it then makes up for the convoluted design and tougher build I think...

Not to toot my own, but I've likely built more of every model in the Frugel-Horn Family from the FH1 to the current triad - with a wide array of drivers- and while the A10P can be outfitted in the DNA I'd also strongly recommend the FHXL.

As I've not shied away from builds at least as complicated as the DNA, there could be something read into the fact that I only did one pair. Even absent access to CNC to machine the curved panels and dadoes for internal panels that simplifies kit assembly, a pair of any of the current FHs is a far simpler and quicker build.

You guys got me thinking. When I hear Frugel-Horn I always think about the Mk3 and I imagine something much larger than the DNA. But what about the original Frugel-Horn Mk1 in Level 0 configuration? It's actually quite similar to the DNS, isn't it?

The characteristics of the DNA is a fairly large compression chamber with a back venting horn in a quite compact form factor. The size of the compression chamber is about 13.5 liters and the horn length is about 1.45 meters. The exterior dimensions in cm are ~ H: 72, D: 33, W: 20.

The exterior dimensions in cm of the Frugel-Horn Mk1 Level 0 are; H: 77.5, D: 26.7, W: 17.6. The horn length is about 1.75 meters. The compression chamber comes in three different sizes, the largest is 5.8 liters.

So the Frugel-Horn Mk1 Level 0 is a bit taller, a tad skinnier, got a bit longer horn and a compression chamber half the size compared to the DNA. I wonder how much of a difference it makes? xrk971, you don't happen to have a model of the Frugel-Horn Level 0 that you could sim (plans attached)? My guess is that it doesn't differ that much but the Frugel-Horn Mk1 Level 0 is a much easier build, the build plans are freely available and well documented. It is also quite flexibel if you want to run it with different drivers. The Frugel-Horn Mk1 Level 0 might not be as good as the Frugel-Horn Mk3 but maybe it's as good as the DNA?

Ps. The recommended deflector also makes me wonder about the result of a side venting horn? Just flip it 90 degrees and put the driver on the side. It would also make for a wider baffle...

Attachments

• Frugel-Horn-v1-maps-130307.compressed.pdf
    689.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
EmuMannen,
The FH Mk1 has already been designed with a computer model by its designer - you might ask for their assistance in runnng a simulation with W5-2143. It's a lot of work to take plans and convert to a model and probably best if modeled with its original code.
Regards,
X
True, I will try to get both DNA and FH Mk1 into HornResp (I'm still got some work todo in order to wrap my head around AkAbak). I find it hard sometimes to translate HornResp results to real life figures but running them side by side should at least indicate any minor or major differences, I guess ;)

A lot of segments, and everyone appears to have a unique set of angles.:eek:

jeff

None of which were on Steve's original drawings, as I can recall - hence my several hours in redrawing in my own CAD program, which also included a couple of assumptions. I also reconfigured of some of the joinery details - i.e. when using only 1/2" material, I've found that the taking the time to set up scarf joints gives more glue surface area, which I consider to never be a bad thing. :D

I'm not sure that Bob Ziegler or any other DIYer ever actually built with the amp installed in the final fold segment as briefly seen in earlier versions on his website :)

Made a rough model of the DNA and FH Mk1 L0 and ran them in HornResp with the parameters measured by X for the W5-2143, se attached files. More of a difference than I expected. It seems like the DNA is really digging deeper and is overall more controlled. The file DNA-vs-FS.png holds the comparison of masked response for the DNA vs FH Mk1 L0 (DNA in grey, previous driver).

Ps. Not easy to get but the order of the images are; DNA parameters, DNA unmasked output, DNA horn profile, DNA masked output, FH parameters, FH unmasked output, FH horn profile, FH masked output and finally DNA vs FH masked output.

Attachments

• FH-4.png
    FH-4.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 66
  • FH-3.png
    FH-3.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 67
  • FH-2.png
    FH-2.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 68
  • FH-1.png
    FH-1.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 262
  • DNA-4.png
    DNA-4.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 262
  • DNA-3.png
    DNA-3.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 293
  • DNA-2.png
    DNA-2.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 288
  • DNA-1.png
    DNA-1.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 286
  • DNA-vs-FH.png
    DNA-vs-FH.png
    16 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
so, out of curiosity, how does the FH3 with A7.3 model? - I know how both sound
I will try to make a comparison when I get the time but I am right now following Daves advice and forgetting the FH Mk1 L0. ;)

Ps. You might have noticed that I didn't corner load the speakers in my HornResp sim, but I can say that the sim of the DNA looks better corner loaded while the FH Mk1 L0 looks pretty much the same.

Last edited: