Decware DNA Horn

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
A more compact cabinet with a decent response can be had using a dual chamber reflex (DCR). Here is a 31 liter design for the FE167E that is 8.5 in wide x 14.0 in deep x 18 in tall (internal dims not including exterior walls or middle divider). The divider separates the volumes in a 2:1 ratio with the larger one on top where the driver is located and the lower one on the bottom. Each chamber uses a 50 mm dia x 114 mm long vent that is rear facing, the inter-chamber vent is a 50 mm dia hole cut through the 12 mm thick divider panel.

That is indeed more attractive - simpler to build with straight cuts.

I had some thoughts towards a DBR (two chambers and two ports, chamber with driver only a port to the second chamber and second chamber twice volume of the driver chamber). Had in the past seen a DCR but never gave it more thought. No port in the divider, only a hole? Likely cannot get 12 mm only ~ 12.6 mm.

Made a high aspect Karlson for the FE166En some years ago - it moved to my daughters place after my wife took a dislike to the sound. When we bought the Monitor Audio Studio 12 (sealed cabinet) back in 1996 we also auditioned the Studio 20 (reference for one of the magazines at the time and a BR) and my wife did not like those either. I did take also the Studio 2 but that went when I needed some cash.

I might want to go less deep and slightly taller, about 20" - 21". Yeah, like that idea, thanks.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is indeed more attractive - simpler to build with straight cuts.

I had some thoughts towards a DBR (two chambers and two ports, chamber with driver only a port to the second chamber and second chamber twice volume of the driver chamber). Had in the past seen a DCR but never gave it more thought. No port in the divider, only a hole? Likely cannot get 12 mm only ~ 12.6 mm.

Made a high aspect Karlson for the FE166En some years ago - it moved to my daughters place after my wife took a dislike to the sound. When we bought the Monitor Audio Studio 12 (sealed cabinet) back in 1996 we also auditioned the Studio 20 (reference for one of the magazines at the time and a BR) and my wife did not like those either. I did take also the Studio 2 but that went when I needed some cash.

I might want to go less deep and slightly taller, about 20" - 21". Yeah, like that idea, thanks.

Yes, only a hole between 2 chambers. Making it same length as exterior vents will cause a dip in response. If you make it taller, adjust depth or width accordingly. I picked width to get 1 in on either side of bezel.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Perhaps we may look at this one narrowed to 20 cm and leaving out the first (brown) section?

Thanks

Attachments

• FP-163 Horn.png
    FP-163 Horn.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 595
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sim of FP163 - modified

Perhaps we may look at this one narrowed to 20 cm and leaving out the first (brown) section?

Thanks

Amadeus Mozart,
Here is a sim of the FP163 based on the geometry you provided me (sans first expansion and 20 cm wide). It actually looks pretty decent if you use a 8ohm & 1mH BSC to even out the HF's. You will see that the sim predicts a significant amount of mids & highs leaking through the horn and potentially causing a 230Hz to 450Hz and peaks at 700Hz, 1kHz, and 1,4kHz. To combat this, you will probably need to line the driver chamber with felt, and also the walls of the horn leading out to the mouth should be lined at least 2 walls with felt to reduce this leakage which will color the frequency response. It seems to have a pretty good 60Hz bass extension that is flat. The sim assumes corner placement with the baffle located 20in from the left and right walls. The height affects a floor bounce cancellation and two cases with the speaker sitting on a 24 in high stand and also just directly on the floor. You will need some sort of high pass to protect the cone if your music has much content below 50Hz.

Freq response in corner with 24 in high speaker stand:

attachment.php

Freq response in corner sitting on floor:

attachment.php

Cone displacement:

attachment.php

Good luck building it! Seems like a fine performer.
Cheers,
X

Geometry used (did not include effect of corners and folds):
Code:
Estimated volume chamber is 18.8 liters (20 cm wide)
section 1 - start: 4.6 x 20 cm, end: 27 x 20cm, long:59 cm, 
section 2 - start: 27 x 20 cm, end: 49.5 x 20, 18 cm long, 
third and last section - start: 49.5 x 20cm, end: 70.6 x 20 cm, 25.5 cm long

Attachments

• FP163-BVR-FE167E-Freq-1m.png
    FP163-BVR-FE167E-Freq-1m.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 685
  • FP163-BVR-FE167E-Freq-1m-floor-height.png
    FP163-BVR-FE167E-Freq-1m-floor-height.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 661
  • FP163-BVR-FE167E-Displ.png
    FP163-BVR-FE167E-Displ.png
    38 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
XRK971, thanks for this, greatly appreciated.

The originators did not disclose the design of their filter which is placed somewhere in the horn mouth that according to them is taking out the higher frequency content.

I have been thinking about placing the driver at the side and then the mouth is not facing the listener similar to the "making chili" , post 14 on this page: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/113525-making-chili-2.html .

PS that plan was lifted from the lautsprecher.de website and is only private use is allowed.

Last edited:
AKA "stuffing"? Or fine mesh cloth.

I may be totally off the mark but I was thinking more like some panel with large holes. I vaguely remember Phillips having a design with a panel at 1/3 in a pipe and either having slots in it or (as suggested) tune it after construction with drilling holes. Perhaps it could be viewed as a forerunner of a double bass reflex like the Fostex design. Some might call it a "choke".

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Breitbänder Sonido SFR-200-8 !? - DIY-HIFI-Forum page 2

Attached the picture of the inside.

Are there plans for this somewhere? The design looks very cool in that I could use the general shape and way it is folded and rounded to make from a single sheet of foam core for the middle. I would redesign it for a smaller driver in the 4in class - maybe a 4FE35.

On that German website I saw this plan which looks like an interesting candidate for a FE167E:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Are there plans for this somewhere?

www.hornlautsprecher.de - solutions in sound under "projekte" and then "horner" you'll find the different designs. On each design the plans are at the bottom - there are plans for different drivers, even small ones.

The picture shown is similar to what you modelled, except it is not using discrete pieces of material.

PS all design information can be found on the Replikon horn thread here on diyaudio.

Last edited:
Has anyone considered the Mark Audio Alpair 10P-A as a replacement for the TB W5-1880 in the original DNA horn? The T-S parameters look to be similar. The MA has Fs = 42.4, Re = 6.2, Vas = 30, BL = 4.74, Qms = 2.43, Qes = 0.38, and Qts = 0.33.

I'm interested because my listening room has a large brick chimney at one end with a 14-inch high hearth that's 22 inches front to back. I figure I could put the speakers on the hearth on either sided of the fireplace. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Has anyone considered the Mark Audio Alpair 10P-A as a replacement for the TB W5-1880 in the original DNA horn? The T-S parameters look to be similar. The MA has Fs = 42.4, Re = 6.2, Vas = 30, BL = 4.74, Qms = 2.43, Qes = 0.38, and Qts = 0.33.

I'm interested because my listening room has a large brick chimney at one end with a 14-inch high hearth that's 22 inches front to back. I figure I could put the speakers on the hearth on either sided of the fireplace. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Good call on this driver for the DNA - it is a good match. The cabinet plan should be set at 10.5 inches wide just like the FE167E, but use a 1mH & 7ohm BSC.

Here is frequency response with speaker 24 in away from rear wall and sitting on 24 in tall stand:

attachment.php

Here is cone displacement:

attachment.php

Here is impedance:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DNA-A10PA-Freq-1m.png
    DNA-A10PA-Freq-1m.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 716
  • DNA-A10PA-Displ.png
    DNA-A10PA-Displ.png
    29 KB · Views: 713