Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Alpair 7 enclosure suggestions
Alpair 7 enclosure suggestions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Robertburchell is offline Robertburchell  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 7 enclosure suggestions

Well I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Alpair 7.3s from Bob at Creative Sound. Im looking for a little guidance on cabinets that would best suit my application.

I listen to a pretty broad spectrum of music including but not limited to classical, acoustic, country, soft rock, modern rock, hip-hop, jazz, etc. I currently run a vented Trio12 subwoofer powered by a 300 watt Bash amp. My receiver is a Panasonic SA-XR55.

Im comfortable with making cabinets and am not turned-off by complex designs (although the Mar-kens maybe be pushing it). I would prefer to keep them small if possible but am open to larger designs if they will integrate with my system better.

I was thinking a small sealed or vented bookshelf enclosure but have been reading a lot about the pensil's and frugal horns. My only concern with these designs is the larger size and material costs. My room is about 18x20 feet and opens (via a 8 foot wide opening) into a kitchen of equal size.

I'm most concerned with midrange and top-end clarity and control. I would be crossing to the subwoofer at 100-150hz and enjoy an authoritative mid-bass.

Would anyone have any advice on cabinets that might suit my needs?

Last edited by Robertburchell; 4th May 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 4th May 2013, 05:16 PM   #2
grakka is offline grakka  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have the Alpair 7.3 grey in a Slim bass reflex design and i really enjoy them. My room is 3x4 meter and I don't really need a sub (even tho I'm building a SDX10 with basamp, just for the low end). Small design and easy to build. Images in my build thread here. I would highly recommend this speaker and design to anyone looking for a excellent small speaker. I'm listening to most kind of music and I have not found anything these speakers cant handle well using my Gainclone from chipamp.
Old 4th May 2013, 07:00 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you're not thinking small enclosures for shelf or desk top mounting, keep in mind that any of the "monitor" sized boxes will need a set of stands as well.

You could of course build those, but the net footprint / space consumed generally runs the same or even more than a simple floorstander.

I've heard the 7.3 in a fair range of enclosure types, and for the combination of simplicity of build and extended LF performance, I'd pick the Pensil or the FH3. The latter does take more floor space, and they're a simple build from the flat pack kit - after assembling a dozen or so pairs, I can put them together in a Saturday afternoon - it takes longer to veneer them than to assemble.

Another option would be the center channel enclosure that's part of the dMar-Ken paid plan set.
Old 4th May 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I was just browsing through the box plan library at planet10 and saw the slim golden ratio mar-ken cabinets for the alpair. These look simple enough, definatly on my short list.

My father (a furniture maker) is going to help with the build and has several pieces of some very, very nice woods he's willing to donate. The size of the boards will limit the size of the cabinet. That being said, in the interest of achieving a high WAF Id like to use the exotic woods available in smaller, bookshelf sized cabinets. The plan would be to use solid wood for the sides and veneered MDF (cut from the same panels as the sides) for the front, back, top and bottom.

I guess my dilemma is simply that Im unsure if I need the extension of the FH and Pensil cabinets. Given that I will be using a fairly high quality subwoofer, Im not sure If I need much bass below 100-80hz.

Above 100hz or so, do the FH or pensil cabinets offer anything in the way of midrange that is missing from the vented, sealed or Onken bookshelves?

Thanks again for all the help folks!
Old 4th May 2013, 08:19 PM   #5
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertburchell View Post
I'm comfortable with making cabinets and am not turned-off by complex designs (although the Mar-kens maybe be pushing it). I would prefer to keep them small if possible but am open to larger designs if they will integrate with my system better.
I have older A7's in bamboo P10 Mar-Ken boxes that Chrisb build. These are the non trapezoid design, which may be within your comfort zone, build wise. The box design would need to be slightly adjusted for the newer A7.3 drivers thou. They are excellent sounding speakers, and work well with a powered sub. The boxes are roughly 9" x 9" x 14" tall.

jeff
Old 5th May 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Jeff, I think im leaning towards those exact boxes. They seem simple to build as well as being small and attractive.
Old 6th May 2013, 01:31 PM   #7
fastbike1 is offline fastbike1  United States
diyAudio Member

Bob Brines (Brines Acoustics) has a nice MLTL design. Inexpensive plans, not complex.
Old 6th May 2013, 06:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I was looking at Mr. Brines cabinet actually. looks nice and is certanly a good price. Sadly my budget is stretched about as far as possible now so Ill have to look at some freebies.
Old 6th May 2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Jim Griffin is offline Jim Griffin  United States
diyAudio Member

Bob's fee for plans is $25. That would save you hours of time and trouble in trying to build some ill-defined internet plan.
Old 7th May 2013, 01:27 AM   #10
Bob Brines is offline Bob Brines  United States
diyAudio Member

Bob

Alpair 7 enclosure suggestionsHide this!Advertise here!