Hi-Fi Full Range speakers playing complex music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Huh? Tolerable quality is more apt.

dave

Depends on the station. BBC and some European stations now stream their classical output at 320 kps AAC format. When the Beeb began it as an experiment two years ago, their technical blog quoted one of their sound engineers as saying it was indistinguishable from the headphone feed on the mixing desk.

IME, it's better quality than their FM broadcasts.

So it depends on the station. Don't be put off; there's very good quality out there if you look for it.

Back to the thread ...

I just do not get it, the whole point of listening to music is pleasure so if Sid likes the sound he gets out of a 57 way speaker system then that should be the end of it. Now I have come to love the sound from a small pair of single driver speakers they allow me to listen to music how I want to. That is the important thing what the listener wants to listen to, what sounds right to them and what fits in to their environment etc. Nearly all of my listening is done near field on a pair of speakers on my desk, its where I work. Until someone creates the absolute perfect speaker compromises have to be made and at the end of the day its all about the musicians art.

You are enjoying background music, it's not the same, anyway, this is a forum not a show and tell.

WTF? - tell that to all the folks who've posted drawings and photos of their projects (SHOW), ruminations on their goals and design process, or the excellent measurements & technical explanations ( TELL) - all of which have benefited open minded readers and builders.

its really simple to understand, but this is, in no way, a argument to put the fullrange ahead of a good multi-way.
what about the sinewave that a fullrange CANNOT reproduce? the sub bass for example. Or the break up it need to do in order to make the highs. I'm sure that the sinewave is heavily affected by the break up modes. Also, what about the supposedly perfect sinewave reprodue with a fullrange when the cone excursion is ridiculous because the fullrange needs to reproduce all the bandwith.

it's actually a very good one, and not just one argument, it is just one of many. Look at the Jordan Eikona for instance - no discernable break up nodes at all, even on the waterfall. What about volume envelope (in anything but lowest bass)? The 'faster' cone wins. So a multi-way can necessarily produce a sinewave that a full-range cannot? Another fallicy. If ones idea of quality music is the most impacting subsonic bass then one has obviously alot to learn about the subtleties of great music. If you are frightened of cone excursion then load the cone in such a way that the amplifier does the work or redesign the cone! Actually you can get just about any bass extenson you want if you sacrifice a bit of sensitivity.

At the end of the day its personal musical preferences and separating the myths from the science.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.