Fostex FE83En the right small box?

Hello all again,

I have a very easy and simple question? What is the right small box for the fostex Fe83en drivers? I was told that the boxes Fostex has is not the best for most of ther drivers? They are for my daughters room and she wants a small box. I also want to do this right money is a little tight so if anyone can help me out that would be super. They will be for Just playing everyday music nothing to loud with a t-amp. Thanks jm

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nat Sound,
Kind of off-topic as it is at odds with thread title, but a higher Qts driver of same size will go lower. It is for your daughter's room and doesn't sound like a critical speaker. I think you might be very happy with a low cost Vifa TC9FD in a bass reflex. If you have some size to play with, even a small folded MLTL will work very well with this driver and that lets you get the box small with 3 folds. I have made a couple and they go down to 55 to 60 Hz and have a very flat mid and high range that sounds very good to my ears. I can get you details on plan if you are interested.

Nat Sound,
Kind of off-topic as it is at odds with thread title, but a higher Qts driver of same size will go lower. It is for your daughter's room and doesn't sound like a critical speaker. I think you might be very happy with a low cost Vifa TC9FD in a bass reflex. If you have some size to play with, even a small folded MLTL will work very well with this driver and that lets you get the box small with 3 folds. I have made a couple and they go down to 55 to 60 Hz and have a very flat mid and high range that sounds very good to my ears. I can get you details on plan if you are interested.

No its not off the topic. Yes I am very interested if you could get me the plans? You could Just e-mail me. I already bought the wood and I am set to build. I have not bought the drivers yet but, was going to make my move in the next couple of weeks. My wife and daughter are re-painting her room this weekend. So I will wait in-till you send the plans and then I will buy the Vifa's Thanks N.S.

Hello all again,

I have a very easy and simple question? What is the right small box for the fostex Fe83en drivers? I was told that the boxes Fostex has is not the best for most of ther drivers? They are for my daughters room and she wants a small box. I also want to do this right money is a little tight so if anyone can help me out that would be super. They will be for Just playing everyday music nothing to loud with a t-amp. Thanks jm

The 3" FF85WK will fit in the uFonkenWK box which is very small. You could also go larger with the 4" FF105WK or the 4.75" FF125WK. I believe both of these larger drivers will fit and work in the standard mFonken box which is still pretty small. Basic plans for these are available in the free Planet10 area.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No its not off the topic. Yes I am very interested if you could get me the plans? You could Just e-mail me. I already bought the wood and I am set to build. I have not bought the drivers yet but, was going to make my move in the next couple of weeks. My wife and daughter are re-painting her room this weekend. So I will wait in-till you send the plans and then I will buy the Vifa's Thanks N.S.

Nat Sound,
here is the design for a compact folded MLTL using the Vifa. You can mount the driver so that the vent faces forward or backwards depending on your preference. Back vent if placed near wall can augment bass even more.
Regards,
X

Attachments

• IMG_20130325_233846381506091.jpg
    IMG_20130325_233846381506091.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 5,141
The 3" FF85WK will fit in the uFonkenWK box which is very small. You could also go larger with the 4" FF105WK or the 4.75" FF125WK. I believe both of these larger drivers will fit and work in the standard mFonken box which is still pretty small. Basic plans for these are available in the free Planet10 area.

Yes the UfonkenWk box is really nice. Limited Help and Limited time and tools. I will keep this in mind for my next box thanks N.S.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Looks great. Thanks I will build these first. They should be perfect for my daughters room. Thanks again. N.S.

Just a note that the driver can also be mounted on the large 10 in x 13 in wall at the same locations if you wanted a rather flat cabinet to save on desk/shelf space.

For your info, this design if it were a bass reflex, the tuning will only get to 70 Hz, but because it is a MLTL, it reaches 55 Hz.

A convenient source of low cost 1.75 in dia tubing is the core of a paper towel roll.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
FE83 does not go very low -- on the order of 150-200 Hz. FF85 will go lower in a smaller box.

dave

Dave, I've got to politely counter that assesment of yours as i feel it could be a bit misleading.
... Maybe in an open baffle they only hit 150-200hz. But in my experience (commerical and DIY for 7+ years with this driver alone), they can hit a solid 75hz -3db in a 5.4 liter BR enclosure with no stuffing, and they sound smoother (softer) up top than the ff85k's to boot.

My advice to Natural Sound is to build the Fostex recommended BR, put the port in the back, and call it a day. They will sound quite nice indeed.

Best,

Clark

Hello all again,

I was told that the boxes Fostex has is not the best for most of ther drivers?

Indeed, many of the Fostex recommended enclosures are not much to write home about/are not that fancy, but do not get caught up in the myth that prevails that they -all- sound bad... many are actually quite decent and I've built dozens of them for various Fostex Drivers, amongst other enclosures for those same drivers.

In the case of the FE83, they got the recommended enclosure very close to right. 6 Liters is in the ballpark for what sounds nice. In my experience, when you pull the stuffing out of an enclosure, you have some leeway to make the enclosure a tad smaller. Hence the 5.4 Liter box size I saw a surprising 75hz come from - whilst the body to the lower mids was still very full and tactile.

Cheers,

Clark

Nat Sound,
here is the design for a compact folded MLTL using the Vifa. You can mount the driver so that the vent faces forward or backwards depending on your preference. Back vent if placed near wall can augment bass even more.
Regards,
X

These look good. Have a couple of TC9FD's going spare and looking at a making some speakers for the bottom of the bed. Maybe do these unfolded - that way can be free standing.This design appears to be driver at one end, port at the other and stuffed to just over half way? Volume as for bass reflex.

Nat Sound,
Regards,
X

To make a floorstander out of this would it be as simple as using a 30" line length? What would the driver position be? Looking for designs for a friend! Thanks!

I built these recently as a bedroom set and am very happy with them. Measured them in room and saw a bass extension down to 65hz, not very low but impressive for the size of the driver. The bass is very tight.

It was very surprising that the distortion above 5khz was lower for these cheap drivers than that of my expensive Scan-Speak illuminator tweeters in my main set. It is now paired with a TPA3116 bluetooth board costing 6 GBP, making it a very cheap bedroom set.

Last edited:
I hope I did it right......

Finished up the MLTL today - waiting on some drivers.....

ACtC-3e-641e0ptoKmtrZdLh0kQfoOKmEadJQs90qMLYgR9kPoCjdjPr1ClXmLClhVFs5ThoRvyZilFQqBNCNLWmHAOpAynIdXBDMdlkAughdATujbCgfAJZeyn0AZw7ggv_ZMGSmM_BHWlhQatgl2PDCTn_og=w879-h1171-no

This is a great new pandemic hobby - working form home allows you to play over lunch!

Just a note that the driver can also be mounted on the large 10 in x 13 in wall at the same locations if you wanted a rather flat cabinet to save on desk/shelf space.

For your info, this design if it were a bass reflex, the tuning will only get to 70 Hz, but because it is a MLTL, it reaches 55 Hz.

A convenient source of low cost 1.75 in dia tubing is the core of a paper towel roll.

Good luck!