Building Speakers in New Zealand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All. First post. I have been lurking for a while.

I have just completed my first set of speakers from some very basic bits and pieces available from Jaycar. eg. Already made crossovers and some cheap 5.5" mid range and a cheap tweeter. It was enormous fun and I learnt a lot. The most challenging part was the cabinets of course!

They sound better (if I can humbly say so ) than a small pair of JBLs I bought about 5 years ago (MR25s), but not as good as my old trusty Mordaunt Shorts that I bought in the UK 25 years ago.

So my next challenge is to improve on the MSs now that I hope I have mastered the basics.

The problem in NZ is the crazy shipping costs from the US or European markets so I am so very pleased that I have found a local company selling Markaudio drivers. MOD-Loudspeakers - Shop

So I like the look of the CHR-70 Gen 3s. I was hoping for some feedback from people who have made the plans on the Markaudio web page :

CHR 70 Metal | Markaudio

What do people suggest or recommend from these plans? Or are there better plans else where? Initially, they will be used as the main pair of speakers in my lounge for listening to music / cinema and the front pair of speakers driven by a Denon AVR-2113 that I have just bought.

I hope in time to replace all the speakers in this 7.1 setup. So what plans and drivers should I put together? eg. center and rears etc..?

I currently use 5.1 with the Mordaunt Shorts and the JBLs with a JBL centre and a Polk active subwoofer. I imagine I can improve on this setup considerably in time? Am i wrong?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Julien

Hi Julien

As a fellow Kiwi I can echo your concerns about shipping costs.

I can't comment on the CR70 Pensil, but I and another local have built the Alpair 7 pensil, and it is a stunner. Not quite as good as the electrostatics I've just built but very good and has a far superior WAF to the ESL. Actually, I find the pensils a little dry at the bottom end and would prefer a two-way to boost the bass a touch - I'm keeping my eye on the FAST thread here.

regards
Rod

Hi Julien

As a fellow Kiwi I can echo your concerns about shipping costs.

I can't comment on the CR70 Pensil, but I and another local have built the Alpair 7 pensil, and it is a stunner. Not quite as good as the electrostatics I've just built but very good and has a far superior WAF to the ESL. Actually, I find the pensils a little dry at the bottom end and would prefer a two-way to boost the bass a touch - I'm keeping my eye on the FAST thread here.

regards
Rod

If you do decide to add bass support to Pensils, I'd recommend a mid hundreds or so HP filter on them, the benefits to overall SPL capabilities and reduction of mid-range distortion are well worth the effort. Active bi-amping works wonders for this

Hi All. First post. I have been lurking for a while.

I have just completed my first set of speakers from some very basic bits and pieces available from Jaycar. eg. Already made crossovers and some cheap 5.5" mid range and a cheap tweeter. It was enormous fun and I learnt a lot. The most challenging part was the cabinets of course!

They sound better (if I can humbly say so ) than a small pair of JBLs I bought about 5 years ago (MR25s), but not as good as my old trusty Mordaunt Shorts that I bought in the UK 25 years ago.

So my next challenge is to improve on the MSs now that I hope I have mastered the basics.

The problem in NZ is the crazy shipping costs from the US or European markets so I am so very pleased that I have found a local company selling Markaudio drivers. MOD-Loudspeakers - Shop

So I like the look of the CHR-70 Gen 3s. I was hoping for some feedback from people who have made the plans on the Markaudio web page :

CHR 70 Metal | Markaudio

What do people suggest or recommend from these plans? Or are there better plans else where? Initially, they will be used as the main pair of speakers in my lounge for listening to music / cinema and the front pair of speakers driven by a Denon AVR-2113 that I have just bought.

I hope in time to replace all the speakers in this 7.1 setup. So what plans and drivers should I put together? eg. center and rears etc..?

I currently use 5.1 with the Mordaunt Shorts and the JBLs with a JBL centre and a Polk active subwoofer. I imagine I can improve on this setup considerably in time? Am i wrong?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Julien

No, I don't think you're wrong ;)

My own HT rig is only 5.1, but is composed of Alpairs for the 5 channels (7.2 for the front row and 6M in rear surrounds) , and a pair of dual 7" corner mounted woofers. Room is 420ft^2, and listening levels are hardly ever above 90dB, so I find the smaller drivers quite sufficient. Receiver is Denon AVR1610 - love that Audyssey EQ and auto calibration!

Which ever make and complement of of drivers you choose if you go the DIY route, there's a lot to be said for sticking with the same models for the front row 3 at least.

For L&R mains the Pensil is a logical choice, and Dave @ Planet10 has a great little vented center enclosure design for the Alp7. Rears were a tiny sealed box for aesthetic reasons.

If your own room size and listening levels are greater, the Alpair10.2 is a great choice for the front row - keep in mind of course that enclosure sizes will increase accordingly - which can sometimes be an issue for the center.

Thanks for the replies. I am officially hooked. So much so I am planning to build a shed in the garden where I can continue my addiction into the evening. At the moment I need to do the building outside since I don't have anywhere that I can safely create all that dust. Luckily its been a hot and dry summer though I didn't realise that speaker making had sun-burn warnings associated with it :)

For practice I thought I would go wandering around the second hand stores and Trademe (ebay) looking for some old / cheap speakers and reboxing them. Anyone had experience with this? Seems like a cheap and easy way to feed the habit.

ChrisB - I think a matching front three sounds like a good idea. What was the driver / box spec for your rear tiny sealed boxes and how did they sound?
I am very interested in the idea of a mid-hundreds HP filter and a woofer. Is that similar to the FAST idea? Woofer recommendation?

The HT room is 24 square meteres - 258 square feet.

Jules - late to see you last inquiry- to which if you've not already found the answer, or arrived at your own solution - the answer is Alpair6M in my case. But honestly, considering the bandwidth and duty load normally found in modest residential surround systems, almost any 3-4" FR could suffice

I haven't found any locally sauced drivers. Sorry
As above - I did buy some drivers from Jaycar - nothing specia.

I can't believe this original post was 7 years ago. Yep - I built a small pair of speakers with the CHR70 drivers. I use them in my shed! They are great..
I have recently purchased 4 Alpair 6s. Not sure what my project will be.

The chr-70s are well priced. How did they fare in a cabinet? Quality of the sound? I need some small speakers for my work studio to go with the audio Sector gain clone amp kit I just purchased

I have made some speaker kits ages ago...from the guys at axent audio in new lynn, auckland. They were excellent 2 way vifa towers..tested in their lab flat to 26hz.... But had to sell due to space at the time

Hi

I just loaded a couple to their cart and the shipping was reasonable and loads of options

Australia Post

Standard - AUD$54.35
Standard (Signature on delivery) - AUD$59.85
Standard (Extra cover, Signature on delivery) - AUD$63.85
Express - AUD$69.35
Express (Extra cover) - AUD$73.35

Cheers

Thanks for the replys

So I'm only posting THIS question here because of you NZ guys @julestnz @golfnut @Dagwood on this thread... this may not have a full-range answer.

I'm looking for either a reasonable priced kit or something someones built (plans) with parts known to be available in NZ. It doesn't have to be full range, I just thought that having one driver and no crossover, a full range would be simple and good value for what I require. Do you guys know what is available ? Probably 8 ohms would suit the amp I'm building. I'll build better speakers at some later stage if all this works out.

Hi Maakbow

I built the pensil 7s and am very happy with them. The cabinets are simple, and being narrow are already very stiff, so nothing special is required in the construction. They are only 20W but quite loud enough for most material, so long as you don't like heavy rock at high volumes.

I think from memory, the low cut off was about 50 Hz, so they are a bit light in bass for some music, but they are stunningly good speakers. If you want more bass, try one of the larger alpair divers, or one of the more exotic cabinets in the links on the website. Another possibility is a 2-way with the A7 on top - but that does require a lot more knowhow to design the crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.