First DIY Direction/Recommendations / Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day all!

Background: I have a 4 watt SET tube amp. Right now I am using it to power a pair of B&W 601 S3 bookshelf speakers. I am happy except for its low end response. They can reach 60 Hz on a good day and are 89 dB efficient.

Looking to build something that is more efficient, without a x-over to ensure max power is going to the drivers.

Looking for something that I wont feel like I *need* to run a sub with.

• Tang Band W8-1772 in a BLH, not sure which one
  • Mark Audio A12P in Super Pensil or Pensil 12.2
  • Betsy-K in WIBAQ
  • Dayton Audio PS220 in ?

Is 8" the wrong size driver to be looking at?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
FWIW A12P is more like 6.5", not 8". The Super Pencil makes decent bass, and works well with low power. I haven't used my sub in ages. It's definitely not a bookshelf size speaker thou.;)

jeff

Thanks Jeff, I am not opposed to a larger speaker by any means.
I like the price of the A12P speakers, the super pensils seems easier to build than a BLH as well. Good for the first time DIY.

ron

Hello,
look my double horns, specially for Tubes,
no bass resonanz, down 35 Hz, 98 dB 1w 1m

Attachments

• posaune-mit-fostex-206e-006_55470.jpg
    posaune-mit-fostex-206e-006_55470.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 191
  • saxophon nirvana.jpg
    saxophon nirvana.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 179
  • alphorn rueckschalmeikl.dat.jpg
    alphorn rueckschalmeikl.dat.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 181
Do you have an example link/plans/recommendations you can send me?

The SET is fantastic, I wanted to open it up to its full potential by moving to a single crossover-less speaker.

Sorry I have forgotten all the tube stuffs.

Audio is a wide ocean. You must first pick your boat type: high efficiency class-A system or power hungry solid-state.

You may find a lot of joy sailing in the tube ocean. Many frustration in the solid state one :D Just kidding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.