Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

From my perspective, I've not seen a whole lotta artwork being circular...

That would indicate that your perspective is primarily focused on portraiture/paintings. My tastes lean more toward sculpture and contemporary art, particularly wood art, so my perspective tends to incorporate more curves.

Regardless of final shape, I too would like to see the Cornu modeled a la your sketch but with appropriately expanding channels.

What happens to old abused Cornu's ? They get passed along to someone else for more enjoyment and abuse. I built these 30 " models several years ago for my son's college apartment. They have survived mostly unscathed do to the fact they hung on the wall and folks couldn't stack beers on them. They've been through four sets of drivers : 1 - TB-657S, old obsolete driver, sounded really good in them, little soft up top, 2- WB-1320, sounded OK, liked the 657S better, 3- Pluvia 7, nice driver, sounded the best, nice detail and top end, 4-Dayton RS-100-4, really nice base, fun driver, dull on top. So these ended up back in my garage after college graduation, now they are being donated to another lucky owner for continued enjoyment and I'm sure more driver replacements.

Attachments

• Old Cornu horns.jpg
    Old Cornu horns.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 495
What happens to old abused Cornu's ? They get passed along to someone else for more enjoyment and abuse. I built these 30 " models several years ago for my son's college apartment. They have survived mostly unscathed do to the fact they hung on the wall and folks couldn't stack beers on them. They've been through four sets of drivers : 1 - TB-657S, old obsolete driver, sounded really good in them, little soft up top, 2- WB-1320, sounded OK, liked the 657S better, 3- Pluvia 7, nice driver, sounded the best, nice detail and top end, 4-Dayton RS-100-4, really nice base, fun driver, dull on top. So these ended up back in my garage after college graduation, now they are being donated to another lucky owner for continued enjoyment and I'm sure more driver replacements.

Nice vintage 1970s Marantz Model 1060 integrated amp to go with the Cornus. I hope you’re keeping that.

“What happens to old abused Cornu's ? They get passed along to someone else for more enjoyment and abuse. I built these 30 " models several years ago for my son's college apartment. They have survived mostly unscathed do to the fact they hung on the wall and folks couldn't stack beers on them. They've been through four sets of drivers : 1 - TB-657S, old obsolete driver, sounded really good in them, little soft up top, 2- WB-1320, sounded OK, liked the 657S better, 3- Pluvia 7, nice driver, sounded the best, nice detail and top end, 4-Dayton RS-100-4, really nice base, fun driver, dull on top. So these ended up back in my garage after college graduation, now they are being donated to another lucky owner for continued enjoyment and I'm sure more driver replacements.”

Did the Pluvia 7s get blown? Terrible thing to happen to those nice speakers.

I'm guessing trying to run them at heroic party sound levels burned up the voice coils of all of the drivers. I stopped replacing the drivers after he burned up the Pluvia's, when my son had to spend his own money to replace the drivers he cheaper out and got the Dayton's, and they still survive.

... the FF85WK can work well in a 22 in x 2.5 in deep Cornu. It will get bass extension down to 80 Hz (90+dB) in this size Cornu.
X

I'm pretty much set on building a Cornu with this driver. Do you still recommend a ~55 cm sides and ~6cm deep? The old cornu_orig plans scaled up or are there anything better?

What you recokon an attachable Tractrix horn on the front as a WAF-mode switch, high --> low, could accomplish? Plenty trebly to begin with so no point, or will it increase immediacy possibly at the loss of staging? Gotta say the front horn ones earlier in the thread look sexy as hell...

Hi there,
I've got a pair of ACR FE103S couple month ago in bad condition (de-glued/disconnected fabric surround from paper cone) but I fixed it. The plan is to build Cornu Spiral but....
I am confused about the thickness of the box (74 cm variant), is it 14cm, 10 cm or what? Please, clear this to me....

I haven't even finished up with my last build, and I'm already planning my next. Since my previous attempts at easy build versions of cornus had issues, the first with very short horn lengths, and the next being a TL and not a horn, I decided to take some time and make a proper template that was more true to the dimensions of the original. Here's the (p10 inspired) design. This is a 75cm version; I needed the extra centimeter to account for the thickness of the foam board (5mm) and make the straight lines work.

Attachments

• EZSpiralHorn.png
    EZSpiralHorn.png
    298.8 KB · Views: 678
Seduced and wildly

While I raise the money to make the Dallas II, I will try to build a cornu.

As I said in my presentation I am a carpenter and I want to do them with the minimum possible cost. For this I will take advantage of a board of 244x122 cm (4x8 ft) 8mm thick, the spirals will be made with 4mm plywood flex.

I want to make them following the pattern of the cornu_orj pdf, the dimensions mark 74x74 cm which I suppose is the max measurement that fits a standard piece of plastic cardboard. To fit them in the measure of board would have to scale it up to 61 x 61 cm, (2 'x 2') the question is what would be the internal height of the speaker? If originally they are 4" their scale would be 3.3" is that correct ?.

You will ask me for the type of speaker I want to use. That is another question.

I have 4 "speakers that a friend gave me where there is no more inscription than the one shown in the attached photo, of which I cannot find more information.

In any case it is an experiment, I am not asking the Z dimension of the baffle for this transducer that we do not know but for a transducer that you can recommend me to buy in the future.

Thanks for your reading.

Un saludo

Roberto

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_102832_817.jpg
    IMG_20200101_102832_817.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 359
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The Cornu is very flexible with the driver type. If you want ideal, pick one with a moderate to lower Qts (0.30 to 0.45) to have a stronger motor. Pick a 4in nominal for the 28in square size. Those are 5.5in deep.

A 3.5in driver can go with 20in to 24in x 3.5in deep.

I have used moderately high Qts TC9FD and it works well there too. A Faital 3FE22 (24in) or 4FE32 )
(28in) would be perfect. Get the neodymium motors.

Smooth response and high sensitivity with powerful motor.

making constructive drawings to understand how to manufacture them ....

One question, do you make the symmetrical speakers, right and left turn (mirror) or are they both the same way? make them symmetrical or not can they influence the sound in the room?

This would be the planned position, I don't have many more options

Attachments

• cornu constructivo.jpg
    cornu constructivo.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 319
  • cornu en sala.jpg
    cornu en sala.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 313