Zen Acousta

Ok, so I am looking for an 8 incher with low Qts. What happens if I have a higher Qts driver? I know a dual paper cone 8 inch that is budget priced but has Qts of 0.40. Is that low enough? I was thinking of the replica "Pioneer Bofu" GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW 292-430

My Lowther Qts only 0.2~ it's better Hi frequency and detail for listen classic music, Qts 0.4 may well balance and better for jazz or vocal, just try and let me know.

Last edited:
what I saw the different form your choice of drivers are 'the surround', GRS is Foam surround mean deeper mid-low ,sound tone will be soft and warm, Vistaon is pleat surround like vintage JBL have tight and fast mid-low.
For me, I using tube amp, stick with higher efficiency driver.

Greetings KoHo, The zen acousta is beautiful and intriguing.... I keep coming back to these posts. Can you tell me a bit more on how you calculated the, or lack thereof, compression chamber? I can't seem to satisfactorily back-calculate the posted horn dimensions to match your exotic Lowther, and so am unable to, intuitively or otherwise, determine whether this design could be downsized to fit my pair of FE166en. Even if I were enticed to swing a pair of FE206en, I'm feeling a bit blind on how it might work. Cheers,

Hi
Zen Acousta is inspiration by Lowther 116 Acousta and Hedlund, just following the original 116 acousta horn dimension, without re-calculate.
I did so many testing to build the Hedlund horn and 116, around 6 pair.
I think the key not only the dimension, but also the"Plywood".
Wood as the soundboard like piano, develop the sound tone and low frequency.

FE166 or FE206 may a good choice for replace Lowther.

some of my Youtube video as refer

Field Coil Lowther Horn Speaker - YouTube

Thank
KoHo

Wow !! you build some awesome looking equipment. I would use my heart to build them and my ears to listen , if i could find some info on how they work and what does each part of the amps and speakers cover.. I have an understanding of each one , but not a exact understanding of the effect of the parts in relationship to one another. Is there a book that you might know about that can teach me and get me started on building amps and speakers? thanks , would love to hear the items you built...

Hong Kong speaker carpenter Mr Yeung made Zen Acousta.

Attachments

• IMG_6422.jpg
    IMG_6422.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_6414.jpg
    IMG_6414.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 753
Degree of cuts

Wow! Great looking speaker! Question at what degrees do you cut the inner curved slats at? Would it be 45* or 22.5* degrees and or is there a formula for it? Oh yeah another question, I have a pair of old school Utah 8 " inch full range speakers, you think I can use these as the pair to go into the speaker build, instead of using the Fostex. Thanks KoHo. :D

what you think?

Thanks again Koho, another gentleman on this site so the photos of the speakers and recommended i build a mp3 player out of them , let me know what you think?:eek::confused:...link.....[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]http://www.ebay.com/itm/221175549891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649[/FONT]

Thanks again Koho, another gentleman on this site so the photos of the speakers and recommended i build a mp3 player out of them , let me know what you think?:eek::confused:...link.....[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]http://www.ebay.com/itm/221175549891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649[/FONT]

It look like coaxial drive, single point design, twin paper cone away musical and detail, don't know how big for the magnet, capacitor may need upgrade for better high Frequency, under $140, best buy!