Looking for a flat pack for desktop that uses 7.3 or 10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We are just finishing up the R&D units for the millSize A7.3 enclosure, mMar-Ken7.3. Barring anything to VETO them (ie they don't work well), we will be doing flat-paks for them.

For A10.2 it is getting a bit big for desktop, any FP for them would be custom, email me if you wish to discuss further.

dave

I'd go so far as to say that due to its flange diameter, even the enclosures that Dave is thinking about for the A7.3 might be a bit on the "hefty" side for many desk tops. As for the 10.2s, in addition to their even larger minimum enclosure dimension requirements, their stellar bass response could well work against them in the very near field.

As I've noted before, having heard most of the current line of Mark's drivers, I'd be more inclined towards the 6P for a desktop system - if my current computer speakers weren't the silly good little uF-somethings drivers, that'd be my choice for sure.

Dave,
Thanks for the reply.

Chris,
Thanks for the reply. If I am ask, out of curiosity what is this system of your's that you describe as silly good?

Never having heard any MA driver, I know I am asking this question in a MA forum, are they a worthy upgrade compared to a Enabled FF85K?

Regards,
Dinesh

Dave,
Thanks for the reply.

Chris,
Thanks for the reply. If I am ask, out of curiosity what is this system of your's that you describe as silly good?

Never having heard any MA driver, I know I am asking this question in a MA forum, are they a worthy upgrade compared to a Enabled FF85K?

Regards,
Dinesh

As this is Mark's forum, and the last question is rather loaded - I'd be more comfortable discussing this particular subject privately.

But I will say publicly that my personal choices, and when asked, recommendations will be based on application and "venue". For me "desk-top/computer" etc has always meant primary listening position in the very near field ( less than 1.5 meters), and these days generally powered by some type of digital (Tripath etc) amp. This is where I consider the smaller 3" or so FR drivers to shine, and I happen to have a preference for paper vs metal and certainly plastic cones for this application - of the MA drivers, I'd definitely choose the 6P for this.

Of course, this is the sound of but one voice - others may have wildly different suggestions.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Six of one, half dozen of the other. A personal audition of three 3" http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/196061-3-driver-audition-fostex-mark-audio.html

If you want to ensure that fleeting thots of a little woofer do not cross your mind, one of the 2 A6.2 are recommended, and like Chris, i prefer the paper, which Mark has specifically voiced for up close and personal (and which does the best bass of all 3). The "vintage" top end also helps ameriolate issues typical Class D amps have at the top end, so one of the little Toppings becomes a very valid choice for amplification.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am looking to replace my desktop setup based on FF85KeN.

If you have these in uFonken, i should point out that i gave Mark a set of uFonken specifically with the challenge to improve the then A6 to surpass it. Which he handily did. Fostex did not sit on their butt thou, only reason they have a challenger -- the 3 have a different mix of strengths, but as a single driver FR the Mark Audio units win out because of their better bass capabilities.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.