Joined 2012
Paid Member
Some nice foam speakers being built by Perceval:
737401d1550554056-wfw-fast-sba-racetrack-woofers-sb65-sba777-ob-jpg

738058d1550814002-wfw-fast-sba-racetrack-woofers-sb65-sba-ob-wg-front-jpg

738059d1550814002-wfw-fast-sba-racetrack-woofers-sb65-sba-ob-wg-jpg

Thread here:
WFW FAST with SBA racetrack woofers and SB65

I would just like to thank xrk971 for showing this easy way of building enclosures with foam core board.

I have bought this Anker mini BT speaker for music on construction site of my new house and I was quite disappointed on lack of base...

But then I have found this topic and made a simple folded horn enclosure with speaker from computer speakers (Trust Remo 2.0).

Original speaker was 1,5" 4 Ohm 3W and Trust Remo has 2,5" 4 Ohm 3W drivers.

End resut is really ugly contraption but the sound is now much better with plenty of base. :cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• trust.jpg
    trust.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 431
  • anker.jpg
    anker.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 437
  • zvocnik.jpg
    zvocnik.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 474
  • fh.PNG
    fh.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Futuristic,
Thanks for sharing your build. Nice work! Not unattractive st all. :)

Your impetus was same as mine when I first got into DIYA and explored foam core. I was looking for a better sounding inexpensive BT/portable audio speaker.

Are you using both the Anker BT and the PC desktop speaker in a FC backmlosded horn/TL? Or simply showing the Anker for scale comparison? Or using the BT speaker output to drive the PC speaker?

I took apart Anker BT and removed the small speaker.
That was not necessary but once it was out I could not fit it back again into that small area. :D

Then I drilled big hole trough the bottom of Anker BT and connected Trust speaker to speaker connector inside anker with CAT6 twisted pair wires.

And then hotglued Anker BT on top of folder horn box. :D

Now I have a nice sounding speaker with 12h of play time, BT, SD card and FM radio.
It's all I need. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• scheme.PNG
    scheme.PNG
    420.2 KB · Views: 421
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok, I get it - an integrated BT/radio/amplifier.

You can also get a very nice sounding BT module with SD card, push buttons, and remote control for about $10. Look for Sanwu BT module with remote. Then connect that to any small Class D amp board and this will let you drive higher power speakers. They also make one with integrated Class D TPA3116 amp for about same price, but it lacks remote and SD card reader.

I have tested this and it sounds almost as good as a hard wire RCA cable. Very quiet with a cellpone 5v wall USB charger as power source.

https://www.ebay.com/i/264065004073

Here is an amp and BT 4.0 module all in one:
US TDA7492P 50W+50W Wireless Bluetooth4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

Ok, I get it - an integrated BT/radio/amplifier.

You can also get a very nice sounding BT module with SD card, push buttons, and remote control for about $10. Look for Sanwu BT module with remote. Then connect that to any small Class D amp board and this will let you drive higher power speakers. They also make one with integrated Class D TPA3116 amp for about same price, but it lacks remote and SD card reader.

I have tested this and it sounds almost as good as a hard wire RCA cable. Very quiet with a cellpone 5v wall USB charger as power source.

https://www.ebay.com/i/264065004073

Here is an amp and BT 4.0 module all in one:
US TDA7492P 50W+50W Wireless Bluetooth4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

Here's one with TF and USB:

https://www.amazon.com/WINGONEER-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Recording-Headphones/dp/B06WV9T2C4/ref=pd_sim_421_2/145-4204089-9926137?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06WV9T2C4&pd_rd_r=c8bd37d1-49b6-11e9-8d0f-a536c26c038d&pd_rd_w=5Vfzg&pd_rd_wg=oTKLk&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=N4TBM91147Z7CT7X4DVT&psc=1&refRID=N4TBM91147Z7CT7X4DVT

Also available on Bangood for less than £7 shipped!

There is a unique Foam Based Material that can be used in Audio,
it is a product not discussed in any great measure to date by the HiFi world,
it has great potential for a vast range of projects, I am sure it will appeal to
the creativity of some.
It is available under two Brand Names, ' Phonotherm' and 'Purenit'.
The Link is to a Data Sheet for the material.
I have two boards in a suitable size to build a Passive OB Speaker.
This will be my next project.

Downloads

I have used 10mm foam board from an art supplies store. I am really pleased with the result, but found cutting it did not give really sharp edges. This meant rather a lot of glue for the small voids in the foam along the edges.

As I said I was using the 10mm board, and cutting with what in the uk we call a Stanley knife. Does anyone have any useful tips?