Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Wesayo,
I agree with you and so does my wife. I wanted to try out a straight MLTL and proved to myself a 6.5 in driver can hit 30 Hz, but for sound quality and accuracy, the Nautaloss is the best sounding speaker I have built to date. Your towers will be similar but 25x mo' bettah. :) when are you going to fire those puppies up?
Happy New Year!
Regards,
Xrk971

Ok, got it. Do you think liquid nails is softer than hardened hot melt glue? I just haven't bothered to open up a tube because my job is too small and the cartridge will dry up once opened. Need to put it in a resealable squeeze tube.

No clue, my experience with hot melt is mostly [re]gluing various cardboard construction boxes where there's just a thin film due to clamping, so no discernible flex. Guess two test cabs would have to be measured, auditioned.

FWIW, I just tested my several year old open tube and it's still free flowing after warming it up in the house, so try taping off the snout and sealing the whole tube up with Cling or similar wrap.

GM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, I have built a quad driver push-pull sealed TL sub using a full sheet of foam core: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/247598-nautaloss-ref-monitor-6.html#post3750525

389407d1387802934-nautaloss-ref-monitor-nautaloss-bass-quad-driver-pp-final-photo.png

I have also used the pink XPS (expanded polystyrene) 1 in thick foam to build a MLTL that reaches 30 Hz - earlier in this thread. I suppose that can be used as a sub too if a low pass filter is used.

A tapped horn can certainly be built with the XPS and that may be on my to-do list. :)

I finished the second unit and now have stereo sound. Initial listening tests with the pair sound very nice. Songs with a deep bass line especially sound good. Sound clips to come later...

Here it is being tested with a Lepai amp and 8 watts is pretty loud in my rec room.

X, have you considered trying the baffle with the thicker, stiffer material (the expanded polystyrene sheeting)? It sure seems like that's the critical piece, and if you used something stiffer, that would seem to help.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X, have you considered trying the baffle with the thicker, stiffer material (the expanded polystyrene sheeting)? It sure seems like that's the critical piece, and if you used something stiffer, that would seem to help.

I considered using the thicker baffle but I thought mounting the driver on thinner foam core would be easier and the driver can breathe without having to open up the back cutout. If I build a tapped horn, I will use a thick XPS piece to mount the driver.

I considered using the thicker baffle but I thought mounting the driver on thinner foam core would be easier and the driver can breathe without having to open up the back cutout. If I build a tapped horn, I will use a thick XPS piece to mount the driver.

Sure, I can see that mounting the driver might be a problem. I suppose a supra-baffle of FC glued to the thicker baffle might work. Maybe I'll try that with a TQWT build I'm thinking about for my 3" Fountek FE85 (in addition to the mini-karlson I hope to try for it before too long).

I think I have found a pair of drivers which I can use for some foam core enclosure experiments.
They are KEF Uni-Q SP1498 - 4 1/2inch with a 1/2inch tweet from the KTH2005 or 3005 Home Cinema system, AKA KEF Eggs.
I've looked for T/S parameters but so far drawn a blank.
Picture Time.

Attachments

• 20140104_172912a.jpg
    20140104_172912a.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,580
  • 20140104_172927a.jpg
    20140104_172927a.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 1,404
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is a nice looking coaxial driver - never seen a true dual magnet one that small. If you can get a measurement of the parameters with a woofer tester that would be great. Otherwise a sealed box (or Nautaloss) can always work as well as a Cornu as they are very flexible with the Qts used. Go with 24 to 27 in and 4 to 5 in deep should work in a Cornu.

That is a nice looking coaxial driver - never seen a true dual magnet one that small. If you can get a measurement of the parameters with a woofer tester that would be great. Otherwise a sealed box (or Nautaloss) can always work as well as a Cornu as they are very flexible with the Qts used. Go with 24 to 27 in and 4 to 5 in deep should work in a Cornu.

Neither have I xrk, they are almost jewel like.
I read some where that the 'egg' enclosure is 1.5l. I did hook them up and have a listen, they sound quite nice (enclosure is a bit.... iffy).
I guess I could try asking KEF for the t/s parameters, cant harm to try, am not deep enough into speaker design to have a woofer tester.
My initial thought was your Nautaloss, second was a 'Micro' Tannoy Westminster Royal!
Common sense = Nautaloss.
:)