Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Ya, Audacity will do the job, great application I use it almost daily.
So anyway, my wife has a bone to pick with you guys... I just got started on the foam core building... Oh boy, this is fun. Shocked how good they sounded.

Edit: Looks like you figured it out. Wow they sound great!

Edit: Details, it is a mini-labyrinth Scottmoose posted in a thread about the TB W3881SI. They are stuffed loosely with some polyfill. I am no the neatest builder and foamcore with hot glue is a foreign medium for me as of yet, but I am having fun and will get better!
Interior:
IMG_0187_zpsb13101ed.jpg

Front:
IMG_0189_zpsda0557dc.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ya, Audacity will do the job, great application I use it almost daily.
So anyway, my wife has a bone to pick with you guys... I just got started on the foam core building... Oh boy, this is fun. Shocked how good they sounded.

Edit: Looks like you figured it out. Wow they sound great!

Edit: Details, it is a mini-labyrinth Scottmoose posted in a thread about the TB W3881SI. They are stuffed loosely with some polyfill. I am no the neatest builder and foamcore with hot glue is a foreign medium for me as of yet, but I am having fun and will get better!
Interior:

That's not a bad job for your first FC build. I can see the addiction setting in... :) You will constantly have to go to Dollartree to see your foam junkie to get the next fix!

They sound good don't they? Whowouldathunk that some flimsy paper and foam can compete with wood for a speaker.

Glad you are having fun. I can see that it is indeed a 'kitchen table' project - which is how all this got started for me.

Regards,
X

They sound good don't they?
This statement here and the one below aren't the same to me.
Whowouldathunk that some flimsy paper and foam can compete with wood for a speaker.
I don't think they do. I have more than a hunch that any of the 3 foam cores I have built would be considerably better in wood. I just wish I could build them. Perhaps it's better that I can't, if you know what I mean. :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You have a point Cal, as I don't think anyone has done a direct A/B test of same speaker in wood and foam core. Do you think the cornu sounds better in wood? I know you have built both but they weren't the same speaker as sizes and drivers were different. But then the spiral channels were foam in both, if yo ahd to make it out of all wood, you may have not made it at all. You will have more 'passive' radiation from the foam core walls but that is not necessarily bad. It is different. I have built about 7 different speakers out of foam core now maybe I need to try an identical one in wood? The MLTL would be an easy one to do.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The World's First Full Foam Core Audio System

I finished my foam core amplifier and ran it with my foam core micro-Cornu's. I guess this makes it the world's first foam core audio "system"? :)

Anyhow, the TI TPA3118D2 sounds great! A lot of fun to do and I learned a new skill: microsurgery! Soldering those tiny leads (0.6 mm pitch) to 0503 SMD components was quite the challenge!

You can read more about it here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/219730-tpa3118d2-6.html#post3413886

336454d1363460094-tpa3118d2-foam-core-amp-final3.jpg

336455d1363460094-tpa3118d2-foam-core-amp4.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks BWRX! :)
I am kind of crazy but really glad I did it because this amp rocks! It sounds so good you would not believe your ears. To see this little fleck of an IC without a heat sink pumping the kind of bass and volume into the speakers with sound that fills the room is just amazing. I am sold on Texas Instruments class-D TPA's now. They are great sounding amplifiers.