Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2018, 11:47 AM   #3001
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
It doesn't have to sound at all, no matter of which material or construction method
Well, sound of the native material is important. It has been proven on 3 builds that the mini Karlsonator sounds better when made of foam core or XPS foam and not plywood or MDF. Everyone who made it from plywood complained of a boxy sound. Switching to foam core made it an excellent sounding speaker, unlinstenable as plywood.
Old 15th May 2018, 03:12 PM   #3002
hoyungh is offline hoyungh
diyAudio Member

X i am not sure if this makes sense but when the foamcore is braced well the surface is taut like a drum and does feel like one so on playing drums the whole speaker sounds like a drum. on real drums the size determines the resonant frequency but on this speakers all drums sound natural. when not braced well it still sounds ok at low volume but as the volume goes up the sound is off(like loose or flabby?)
Old 15th May 2018, 04:32 PM   #3003
Jennifer G is offline Jennifer G  United States
diyAudio Member

I really like the idea of the pink foam.. because I like art deco and well I can put a few progressively smaller layers of the thinner foam on the sides I can cut to any shape I like

Q: The tweeter is supposed to sit just under the tip of the woofer.. is that necessary or can I have a small gap between them? Recessing placing under the woofer is more difficult.
Old 15th May 2018, 05:18 PM   #3004
tsmith1315 is offline tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
In the back of the pic, with the help of some cutting boards, a food processor and a vacuum sealer are assisting with the last of the glueing.
Cutting boards? Check.
Vacuum sealer? Check.

Food processor, hmm...

food processor...

A food processor?

Is that for the margaritas?
Old 15th May 2018, 06:15 PM   #3005
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyungh View Post
X i am not sure if this makes sense but when the foamcore is braced well the surface is taut like a drum and does feel like one so on playing drums the whole speaker sounds like a drum. on real drums the size determines the resonant frequency but on this speakers all drums sound natural. when not braced well it still sounds ok at low volume but as the volume goes up the sound is off(like loose or flabby?)
I am more concerned about rattle, or excessive movement which leads to distortion as it is in phase with sound from driver.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:43 PM   #3006
hoyungh is offline hoyungh
diyAudio Member

for karlson clones below upper tuning its fine because the front and rear are the same(in phase)? but above tuning speakers act like dipole? but when i walk around speakers there is still huge sweet spot in front and there doesnt appear to be a place where the sound dips or changes character or volume as i move to the back. maybe its because my ears are failing
Old 15th May 2018, 09:53 PM   #3007
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

There are two types of foam....EPS=Expanded Polystyrene (usually white color) and XPS=Extruded Polystyrene (usually either pink or blue color).

Also there are different degrees of densities/grades for each type of Polystyrene, which range from very hard/stiff to very soft/flexible as this will effect the sound of the enclosure.
Old 26th July 2018, 11:40 PM   #3008
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I recently had a flooding in my basement and the speakerlab - so the downside of foamcore speakers is that they cannot tolerate getting wet. I lost about 6 Karlson type speakers (8in XKi, KaZba, 0.53x Karlsonator, etc) as they were all on the floor. The ones above the floor survived as I brought them upstairs. The PVA glue joints failed and or the paper just came off the whole foam face. Only along where parts got soaked though.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:51 AM   #3009
scott68 is offline scott68  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What a shame

Being a contractor, I'm sure losing the speakers was the least of your worries. Water damage is a pain to fix. A lot of times, insurance doesn't cover it - Are you alright in that area?
Old 27th July 2018, 01:28 AM   #3010
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I also hate water related problems... and I seem to attract them!

My mini-Ks have a thin coat of pva glue all around, and it seems to protect them from a little rain at the beach. No soaking though.

Hope you get your basement fixed without too much hassle, X.

We get flooding all the time when typhoons hit. But houses here are made of cement and floors of tiles. Most of the time, it's just a matter of pushing the water out.

Good luck!

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?Hide this!Advertise here!