Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2014, 04:49 PM   #2151
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I considered using the thicker baffle but I thought mounting the driver on thinner foam core would be easier and the driver can breathe without having to open up the back cutout. If I build a tapped horn, I will use a thick XPS piece to mount the driver.
Sure, I can see that mounting the driver might be a problem. I suppose a supra-baffle of FC glued to the thicker baffle might work. Maybe I'll try that with a TQWT build I'm thinking about for my 3" Fountek FE85 (in addition to the mini-karlson I hope to try for it before too long).
Old 4th January 2014, 05:22 PM   #2152
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think I have found a pair of drivers which I can use for some foam core enclosure experiments.
They are KEF Uni-Q SP1498 - 4 1/2inch with a 1/2inch tweet from the KTH2005 or 3005 Home Cinema system, AKA KEF Eggs.
I've looked for T/S parameters but so far drawn a blank.
Picture Time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140104_172912a.jpg (311.1 KB, 888 views)
File Type: jpg 20140104_172927a.jpg (325.6 KB, 873 views)
Old 4th January 2014, 11:57 PM   #2153
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

That is a nice looking coaxial driver - never seen a true dual magnet one that small. If you can get a measurement of the parameters with a woofer tester that would be great. Otherwise a sealed box (or Nautaloss) can always work as well as a Cornu as they are very flexible with the Qts used. Go with 24 to 27 in and 4 to 5 in deep should work in a Cornu.
Old 5th January 2014, 12:22 AM   #2154
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a PDF on a new 4" from MISCO. Uses ABACA fiber cone. Claim 90 to 18K response.
Old 5th January 2014, 02:48 AM   #2155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
That is a nice looking coaxial driver - never seen a true dual magnet one that small. If you can get a measurement of the parameters with a woofer tester that would be great. Otherwise a sealed box (or Nautaloss) can always work as well as a Cornu as they are very flexible with the Qts used. Go with 24 to 27 in and 4 to 5 in deep should work in a Cornu.
Neither have I xrk, they are almost jewel like.
I read some where that the 'egg' enclosure is 1.5l. I did hook them up and have a listen, they sound quite nice (enclosure is a bit.... iffy).
I guess I could try asking KEF for the t/s parameters, cant harm to try, am not deep enough into speaker design to have a woofer tester.
My initial thought was your Nautaloss, second was a 'Micro' Tannoy Westminster Royal!
Common sense = Nautaloss.
Old 5th January 2014, 03:03 AM   #2156
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The KEF egg enclosures appear to be bass reflex and if only 1.5 liters indicates a smallish Qts in the 0.3 to 0.4 range. You could make a very compact Nautaloss with them. I think they would work well in a BLH like the Cornu.
Old 5th January 2014, 03:12 AM   #2157
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

That is a snazzy looking driver there sippy.
Old 5th January 2014, 03:17 AM   #2158
diyAudio Member

Indeed they are BR enclosures, pic of 'what goes on inside'.
Am not overly struck by the Cormu...... will see though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140104_172838a.jpg (334.1 KB, 984 views)
Old 5th January 2014, 03:23 AM   #2159
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

You might try reverse engineering the approx TS based on the port dims and chamber volume. If you have a sub, which I assume you do since the KEF's came from a HT system, the Nautaloss might be just the ticket for you. Use the supplied XO and you should be golden. The basket looks like Visaton made these under contract for KEF.
Old 5th January 2014, 03:24 AM   #2160
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

That port looks like it tapers down in size from throat to mouth. Is that correct?

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?Hide this!Advertise here!