Omni full range line array???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should I build this thing?
It's different.....
It's crazy....
It could be a huge waste of time, but I have nothing else to do right now.
Tell me what you guy's think about it, and be blunt. you won't hurt my feelings, I'm not hell bent on this idea, I just want to run it by you guys before I delve into this huge project.

Ok, so it's a line array of 25 vifa tc9 3" paper cones. Instead of forward firing, I have them turned 90 degrees to the side and firing into reflectors to make an omni like dispersion pattern. I'm thinking this will do 2 things....
1. Of course, no need for BSC (even power response)
2. Solve the problem of comb filtering due to driver CTC spacing (although I don't think this is even a problem at more than 2 meters away)
I'm more concerned with the benefits of #1.

Untitled2.jpg

1) Oftenarray perform BSC itself, with naturaL HF roll off. With set up like your drawing you can end up searching tweeters.
2) I do not think CTC combing will be eliminated by such positioning of the drivers. May be someone who is experienced with arrays will correct me, if I am wrong.

Yes, I understand your first point as far as comb filtering causing roll off, but I don't think it does much for power response.

Can't you make a front firing flat array but then have the deflector installed later but not permanent ? That way, you still have a flat array if you don't like it.

Yeah Jon, I hear you.
But if this wouldn't work out, I'm not all that interested in a normal line array, ya know?
This would just be an experiment because I don't think it's been done before.

You have total 25 or 50 drivers? Takes a dozen to populate a dodecahedron. more

Dodecahedron.gif

Picture+8.png

Make a full size model:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

You've gone completely sideways man!
haha! I like it!
I was thinking of going the other way and making 2 parabolic discs (like satellite dishes)
25 for each.
I'm thinking that these would have a tight radiation pattern, maybe even enough at high frequencies to avoid crosstalk. (I'm really in to ambiophonics)

Hey thanx for the suggestion and examples. I am always racking my mind for an omni design.

take a look at what was done by Beveridge, that parallels some of the reflection idea. Of course Bose 901s also...

I built speakers under the BFL name in about 1971 that used two angled, side by side lines of Maximus speakers either 6 or 8 high, and two in the front that were designed to reflect off the wall... if you have a nice solid real plaster wall, it works very nicely... I wouldn't think it equals today's standards, but it sounded really nice in the day....

_-_-bear

Corner stuff will effect the response across the board, and the distance from any surface will cause sum + difference effects too...

How about a line array flooder on the wall?

Top view:

Hey CLS......
The only concern that I have with flooders is a theoretical one.
And that is.....if a driver is beaming towards a wall and we hear only reflected sound instead of direct at high frequencies, there would be a huge time gap between those reflected frequencies and the direct frequencies of the omni frequencies that are wrapping around the baffle and hitting our ears first.

I guess it would be like having the tweeter 2 meters behind the midrange on a conventional speaker! No?

Theoretically, yes. Or it seems pretty much that way by first intuition.

But interestingly, I don't feel that way in my system (very reflective living room).

I've tried up-firing tweeters on top of TV (about 1.2m high), on equipment shelf (0.5m high), and finally on floor. They all give an open and smooth HF response everywhere in the room.

And of course, compared with direct firing tweeters (aiming listener), perception level of up-firing tweeter is lower. So proper EQ might probably be necessary.

Another way to see this, there's a guy in the forum has had some measurements of his radical system with side-firing mid-high units. I remember the step response is nearly perfect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.