best 2 inch 'full range'?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
edit; the visaton is 90% as good as the TB. a slight touch of that paper cone tweeter sizzle, but its quite benign. The Q is more useful at 0.7 ish, power handling and efficiency is slightly lower than the TB. But, the visaton is a mere 6 euros! I wouldnt use these fullrange using a single driver, neither tolerate bass well, maybe in a small array they could cope at reasonable levels.

well the frs5x and w2 800sl have similar fs of 160 to 200hz (mine were around 190) and similar db/W, IIRC 87db and 89db. For desktop use thats loud enough. However i would HP them to save excursion, where exactly is up to you. Fullrange in a testbox they run out of xmax about 1 watt roughly. For the price the frs5x are great value, the TB are better by a fair bit, BUT at 4 times the price they arent the same value, even if they are cleaner. That hiwave is an unknown to me, but it could be worth a look for sure. Im planning something similar for the 2s i have. HP'd at 500hz boxsim gives about 95db, which should be ok for desktops. Id recommend the visaton if a 2 hole rear mountable option is acceptable, cosmetically the TB are better and have 4 hole mounting. Thats my biggest bug bear with the visaton, the flange is ugly. Hopefully my experiences have made an easier choice for you Bill.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bill,

Do you refer to a 2" cone (ie a 3") or a nominal 2" (cone ~35mm)?

Zaph did a big compare of 2" & 3" drivers and concluded that the 3" were univerally better than the 2" drivers -- even at the top.

With any of the 2" your XO will need to be >200 Hz, so not really a sub but a woofer required.

I'd recommend the Fostex FF85wk, or for less (money & performance and more bass capability), Aura NS3 or Fountek FR88.

dave

I'm currently finding uses for the old "Whisper" AuraSound 2in driver personally. That Hiwave is an interesting little unit?!

The Aurasound whisper driver of Pluto fame is actually amazing in its bass output abilitities. Just mounted at the end of a long pipe and run fullrange, it sounds balanced and also omnidirectional !! It sure can do the same in a slim ported box :p

Bill,

Zaph did a big compare of 2" & 3" drivers and concluded that the 3" were univerally better than the 2" drivers -- even at the top.

With any of the 2" your XO will need to be >200 Hz, so not really a sub but a woofer required.

I'd recommend the Fostex FF85wk, or for less (money & performance and more bass capability), Aura NS3 or Fountek FR88.

dave

With no bass support only the Aura NS3 sounds the most balanced and is the bass champion. The other two prefer some woofer help

Last edited:
Bill,

dave

Hi,

Platon Measurements

Compares a Peerless 2" to the Aura chosen by SL for the Pluto.

3"ers are a better idea for lower crossover points generally.

rgds, sreten.
I agree, 3 inchers are more capable the twos are limited in ultimate SPL, and i thought the peerless a bit dodgy when i looked at the site, although Zaph measures otherwise judging by the data. At the time the 2 inchers i mentioned were the best available to me. As a tweet the W2s are comparable to the W3 1285SG, but the 3s are far more capable and in ways better than the alpair6 i have. The little visaton are good for the cash, and good tweeters. I only offered opinions on what i own, so i dunno bout the fostex. Sreten, im surprised you didnt mention those Logitech. Actually, I dont know why I havent bought some...

Last edited:
i have no idea. I used to work in a warehouse distributing those harman pc speakers, and a few damages got tested at home. Run without their purpose built amp, they werent the same. Id get a fair bit of active EQ is used in their package. The frs5x represent unbeatable performance value ratio, theyre not perfect but they are very nicely balanced indeed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.