The Hilding horn

I was thinking it may shorten length, or reduce bandpass ripple, and yes it would look fine in real wood!

Plenty of scope to mess about and experiment a little.

I will have to have a go at building a rough and ready version in 18mm MDF (since thats all I have except 24mm) for my 3" drivers.

Thanks for sharing your compact design (compact enough that I can fit it into my listening room, and keep the lil' lady happy)

Tapped horn bass and Hilding horn anyone? :D

That´s what You have old Swedes for, pestering them, they are to weak and stupid to strike back.

No, not used the 5FE20 at all, probably good, the Faital drivers tend to be that, but never used that one.

Thanks!

It looks like a good wide-band little midbass that could do decent bass in a not too big package. Its sensitivity is a bit on the low side to allow this though. Two of them in a ~15L box tuned low (EBS) looks like fun, could be made into an MTM with a small waveguide in the middle. They are affordable enough to make something with four drivers per speaker in the style of the 4FE30 TQWT of yours. I'm already thinking ahead for a springtime build...

IG

Some nice input from friend Anders Martinsson:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A smaller version, to be used together with THAM12 or THAM10 as a nice domestic system or as a potent and very portable small stage system.

Redrawn a bit for easier build.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cleaned out Hildings apartment today, 92 years of memories took 1 hour to load in a truck and drive to the local disposal station.

His children, my wife and 7 more, had already taken care of what they wanted to keep, but there was this strange plastic bag left, my name written on the outside, it contained this contraption which Hilding wanted me to have.

brplock.jpg

You use this for harvesting lingonberry which i´ve never done, will never do, its as good as giving the pope a pack of condoms, Hilding had a good head.

It has been awarded a honorary place on top of the music machinery, standing on the tuner, between a Sekonic Elmatic8, an Olympus OM1 and Ludvig van Beethoven (he´s wearing Stax SR Lambdas but i thought he was deaf?)

But of course they know Niklas, at least these guys from up in BC, You stab the innocent lingonberrys to death whit the sharp points of the deadly steel rods
in the harvester, then bring them home and eat, would never do that, i eat meat.

Ah, forgot they grow in Canada as well :)
Lingonberries are delicious, in a jam or "rårörda" with vanilla icecream.

Interesting cabinets. Do the multiple drivers share a common area or do you build the cabinet with individual chambers for each driver.

What drivers are recommended on this side of the big pond? Preferebly something from parts-express.com in the tang-band flavor. I'm still a newb or I'd try to figure it out. Just not real sure what specs are real important.

Thanks.

No own experience with Tang-band but they seem suitable, a lot of versions and many types.
You want a god motor, BL above 4N/A, also fs should not be to far below 90Hz as the horn doesn´t load further down so there could be a problem with excessive excursion.
Not a problem if they will be x-overed ~95Hz or more.

Also avoid drivers with very large baskets in relation to cone as You loose some of the linesource effect.

I have a pair of Tabaq's with the faitalpro 3fe22 in them and am quite pleased with them in a small livingroom, but when listening to complex music or bass heavy tracks they just can't deliver.
Would like to try the 3FE22 in the Hilding horns (the version using one driver). Do they reach low enough to hand over to a single subwoofer (tham12, tham10 or tham6 maybe)?
/Pepe

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Ingvar and thank you for sharing the plans for the Hilding's.
I will go ahead and build the Hilding horns and probably a tham10 or tham12. Will use an Hypex as2.100d for amplification.
I use one of theese hypex units as an stereo amp, very flexible, gives you dsp, active xo, delay for matching sub - satelites, etc...

Listening to some Entombed throu my 3FE22 TABAQ's right now, who would have thought that a 3"fr driver and heavymetal would work at enjoyable listeninglevels!?