The Hilding horn

I'd like to try something for the 4FE30 sometime.]

You should, it workes magically in this little TQWT:

tdl2.jpg

tdl5.jpg

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
See the previous post. Looks like 16ohms all wired in parallel for a 4ohm load.

nominal 4ohm, and could easily be lower
is that controversal to fullrange setup :confused:
well, I take it 'fullrange' designs usually works best with small simpler amps, or even tube flea amps

on the topic Hilding Horn
might have phase issues between port/mouth and drivers
I have tried a similar design not long ago, with single 12"
since it actually is a lower midrange horn I found that it works best the usual front horn way, with driver in closed back chamber
not to be negative, but I dont think its that 'straight forward'

Wasn´t it hard to fit the 12" to such a tiny baffle cutout?

On a slightly more serious note, there might be lots of issues regarding phase,
a front loaded horn would be 100cm deep, harder to accomodate in several domestic environments.

As i see it all design principles suffers from a multitude of drawbacks, i try my ideas, dont write that much about the failures as that would fill all forums there are, but write about what i like, might still suffer from an unlimited amount of deficiensies, but i like the way they play music.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Wasn´t it hard to fit the 12" to such a tiny baffle cutout?

:D

no, ofcourse nothing is expected to be perfect, but we are also realists
but hey, I still like it, absolutely
and would like to try a version of it, as top for bass guitar ;) :eguitar:

thinking about, there might be another interesting variation

one driver facing out, and the other closed in, loading the horn
opens the option of reversed electrical phase
but may not work at all

Attachments

• hildinghorn variation.jpg
    hildinghorn variation.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,082
nominal 4ohm, and could easily be lower

Since the 16ohm was a nominal in the first place, I assumed that anybody reading would assume the 4ohm to also be a nominal.

is that controversal to fullrange setup :confused:

Not particularly; wideband drivers don't necessarily have to be employed solo. There might be some HF losses associated with the array, but since it's relatively short & the drivers are small, I'd anticipate them being fairly minor.

well, I take it 'fullrange' designs usually works best with small simpler amps, or even tube flea amps

A lot do, some of the drivers are designed / anticipated to be used with high output impedance amps, as I'm sure you know (Fostex FExx6En series, Lowthers etc.) but it's far from being an automatic requirement, especially if some form of Eq is used. I've got a Rotel integrated feeding a pair of widebanders. Not the best amp in the world by a long shot, but it produces sound.

on the topic Hilding Horn
might have phase issues between port/mouth and drivers
since it actually is a lower midrange horn I found that it works best the usual front horn way, with driver in closed back chamber
not to be negative, but I dont think its that 'straight forward'

Can't say I disagree; I don't like (back-loaded) lower-mid horns much myself for exactly that reason. But it's a bit of fun, so why not.

Ingvar, did you ever measure the response for the 4FE30 TQWT mini-array? What is the useful bass extension and how loud can they get while still sounding good?

Yes, measured, somewhere around here, speakers still here, lots of speakers around in this house, can measure again if i don´t find the results, useable to around 75Hz up to 115 dB, at that level they, of course, need to be highpassed from anything below the pipes loading frequency, nothing below 60 should be delivered at high power.

Yes, measured, somewhere around here, speakers still here, lots of speakers around in this house, can measure again if i don´t find the results, useable to around 75Hz up to 115 dB, at that level they, of course, need to be highpassed from anything below the pipes loading frequency, nothing below 60 should be delivered at high power.

That seems more than respectable. One could probably extract a bit more bass if not needing such SPL.

IG

So, the tiny single 3" Hildinghorns has been abused for a few days, run with 4,7 ohms in series to mimic current drive, get larger cone excursions, also some very carefull and minimal damping applied to turning point of horn, then measured again:

Hildinghorn2-1.png

That was with series resitance, this without:

Hildinghorn3.png

Doesnt look all that bad for a single 3".

I really like this design. The only part of the response I dont like is the dip @ ~350Hz, but im guessing this is a room reflection.
Im not clued_up in the slightest about horns (I have Hornresp, but ive never got any farther than simulation)

When I have simulated I also tend to find a front horn sims better, although the throat size limits HF, and the decade rule of thumb has prevented me persuing it further.

This design seems to lend itself very well to using in a 'sub top box' fashion, which is appealing. Would there be any real advantage in curving the exterior 'sides' while leaving the rest straight?

I cant wait to try this with TB W3-1285SG, or Alpair 6 for that matter, although Im unsure if the Qts of ~0.7 would be too high. In fact its tempting to try with some 2" drivers, for a mid-HF horn....

Of the two drivers, which would be preferable?

Last edited: