Jordan jx92s fullrange drivers vs other fullrange drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had a set of J92S in sealed boxes for years. They still hold up nicely
in day to day listening. Not flashy, not the ultimate in sound, not very
efficient, don't play very loud, but very satisfying over the long haul.

:cool:

Thanks for the info. I am just debaiting if I sould buy the old jx92s or the new HD 100 same jx92 but, new cones and design:confused:. Do they have that metal ring some metal drivers have? Also is thier speaker cone thin like the mark audios I hate to bring them in the post? Also when I called the american E.J. Jordan seller theytold me if you put the jordans next to anything out there they will sink them? I know how sales people can go over the top with things that why I wrote this post. This might be my last pair of drivers this year? Christmas is coming up. :eek: Thanks jeff

I have a pair of JX92S which really rock out. There are small, medium and large cabinet options which is great. Mine ended up in a BiB which had gobs of bass (I used them as 2-channel home theater).

When I got re-interested in jazz and (small-scale) classical, I went back to small paper-coned drivers. For me, metal cones are great at clarity and bass, but don't quite do (e.g.,) the attack on a cello, or violin, or strings generally (for my particular ears). So you have to own a pair of each (metal and paper).

In terms of new vs. old, personally, I think it's fun to have the new stuff. But if you get a great bargain on the old ones, you have a lot of proven designs to consider. We are spoiled with some excellent choices right now. Chances are you'll end up buying them all eventually :)

I have a pair of JX92S which really rock out. There are small, medium and large cabinet options which is great. Mine ended up in a BiB which had gobs of bass (I used them as 2-channel home theater).

When I got re-interested in jazz and (small-scale) classical, I went back to small paper-coned drivers. For me, metal cones are great at clarity and bass, but don't quite do (e.g.,) the attack on a cello, or violin, or strings generally (for my particular ears). So you have to own a pair of each (metal and paper).

In terms of new vs. old, personally, I think it's fun to have the new stuff. But if you get a great bargain on the old ones, you have a lot of proven designs to consider. We are spoiled with some excellent choices right now. Chances are you'll end up buying them all eventually :)

That's interesting! Most of the guys using the JX92 say they excel with jazz and classical. :)

Hi Dufus,

I have a modified Klipschorn for classical so that is my "standard" by which to judge, e.g., huge orchestral swells, dynamics, Stravinsky etc. But even that didn't do the small-scale classical as well as a small paper cone or for that matter, a bigger paper cone :)

As far as jazz goes, I'm a newbie so I wouldn't put much stock in my opinion. Metal cones are just different, not better or worse, but different, to me. And paper has its problems obviously. I want to own 'em all.

So enlighten me. What paper drivers do you use right now if your not using the Jordans? Also thanks for info and the encouragement:D. Jm

Hi Natural Sound, I am still loving the Jordan BiB for some things.

Lately, I've been using small drivers. I avoidi any drivers with a peaky response -- it's just not worth the time to tame something when there are many other things to worry about. I'd rather wrestle bass out of a driver than have to smooth out the treble. Worst case is when you struggle with both, so no more peaky drivers for me.

Enclosure-wise, I'm trying to use the simplest thing that will work, and then use the saved time to refine that to the max. So often just a vented enclosure, conservatively tuned, then there's extra time to spend on dimensions, bracing, diffraction, etc.

And finally, if all that gets you 90% of the way, the icing on the cake can be a gentle contour filter. Or even better, using two drivers in a 1.5 arrangement (one driver rolled off). That's what I'm finding, anyway. Lots of good drivers out there.

Good to know thanks. Jm

Note that this applies to the Jordan design.

Don't have any experience with the current EAD version.

Just now looked at Jordan's new, preliminary JX92S, which if this turns out to be the production version, has a flat enough response to only need the ~standard 'FR' toe in, i.e. aiming them to cross in front of the 'sweet spot', which usually works out to aiming the left speaker at the far right seat and vice versa.

GM

For someone like me that has broadband tinnitus, any sibilance is something I would have to deal with, but most folks seem to find it enhances perceived attack/decay ['fast'/'tight'], so being above our acute hearing BW and a narrow spike at that, I have to wonder if anyone with normal hearing would even notice it with normal toe in.

GM

Editorial Comment

Thanks for the info. I am just debaiting if I sould buy the old jx92s or the new HD 100 same jx92 but, new cones and design:confused:. Do they have that metal ring some metal drivers have? Also is thier speaker cone thin like the mark audios I hate to bring them in the post? Also when I called the american E.J. Jordan seller theytold me if you put the jordans next to anything out there they will sink them? I know how sales people can go over the top with things that why I wrote this post. This might be my last pair of drivers this year? Christmas is coming up. :eek: Thanks jeff

As the person being quoted here I would just like to point out that; clearly that is neither something that I have said, nor ever would... I have too much respect for people's individual choices, and I am clearly not a "sales" person.

Last edited:
As the person being quoted here I would just like to point out that; clearly that is neither something that I have said, nor ever would... I have too much respect for people's individual choices, and I am clearly not a "sales" person.

I agree I am not a sales person either but, everyones ears are different. Thats why I got into diy I got tired of the flavor of the month speakers from hi-end or hi-fi magazines. I had one dealer that I was close to tell me he couldn't keep up with the speaker of the month in his stores and he was getting out of the hi-fi bussiness. I have not seen him for 9 plus years and I really miss talking to him not only as I friend but, a true hi-fi nut. He never did a sales pitch just treated you as family. I could walk in t he store and start helping people with anything hook ups,demoing, explaining products. Thoses were the days. I say this let your ears be the judge because you have to live with them in the end. Sorry for such along post. Jm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.