Alpair 12P cabinet options

I have completely removed the poly and listened to the speakers.

I was expecting a really boomy effect... but no, it was a stronger bottom comparing to 85g (front) + 85g (rear "V" section) but it wasn't as noticeable difference as I expected.

I prepared 40g of poly (as I found in description of FH mk3) but it's not enough to properly fill in the "V" section without having empty areas.

I think I will end up with 60g in "V" and only 30g in the front. Hope I won't regret that after gluing in the last element.

Completed!

Thank you guys for your help.

20210922_105503.jpg
20210922_105519.jpg
20210922_105547.jpg
20210922_110347.jpg
20210922_110548.jpg
20210922_105558.jpg
20210922_105818.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, guys :)

Wow, that looks great Ripson. Did you veneer the sides and top or is that all mitered?

It's not mitered, unfortunately. I asked a carpenter to veneer the sides and bottom (before gluing) using a press.

When the cabinets were ready I leveled the surfaces with an eccentric disc sander, I glued the veneer myself on the front, bottom, and top using two layers of wood glue (dried) and iron. Not as good as using press but still OK :)

Bit more importantly: Sonic impressions?
Dave, I need more time to experiment with speaker positions, different amps, more recordings with well-defined bass. My main DAC is not working so for now, I hooked CD player Cambridge Audio CD3 (4xTDA1541A), passive "preamp" 10k + FirstWatt F2J, and this sound annoys me. I think CD is producing some strange distortions, also I think F2 requires low output impedance source, and also it might not be the best mate for Joan.

I will keep you posted.

yes, you are right 9 years, not 11... the first one 12p.. but out of balance totally. every few years i build one box for it, big , smell, medium, no luck all the time i heard this shrill sound.. RLC filters in front didnt helped too much.. after i get measurement system i see where is the problem.. after eq'-ing with the blanket became somehow listenable :)
but i have many other speakers at home, they no need any side effort to sound good from the first time. i was fooled here with 100.000h of break in time stated in the manual :eek: no any change after years

Hi all

Just got pair of Lii Audio Fast-8 8″ drivers.
Could Joan enclosure be suitable for this drivers?

Main issue is that Fast-8 has Qts of 0.62 so probably larger enclosure is required. I was also thinking about Dallas II not sure if there is an example of this combination built.
I would be interested in any idea for suitable enclosure for Lii Audio Fast-8!

Thanks

Hi all

Just got pair of Lii Audio Fast-8 8″ drivers.
Could Joan enclosure be suitable for this drivers?

Main issue is that Fast-8 has Qts of 0.62 so probably larger enclosure is required. I was also thinking about Dallas II not sure if there is an example of this combination built.
I would be interested in any idea for suitable enclosure for Lii Audio Fast-8!

Thanks

There is a link on the Lii site Design of Fast-8 - Lii Audio, unique speaker, amplfier, quality and cost-saving parts for HiFi DIY. I can't speak to this cabinet design, but might be worth following up with manufacturer for more info.

Since we're on the 12P, here are a couple from my Moon series, which I've probably posted elsewhere, but might as well lurk here also, since it's one of my favourite MA units. Probably my personal favourite to be honest -not quite a jack-of-all-trades, but I like the cone area and the fact that it takes off like a stabbed rat (in relative terms).

Traditional alignments which a couple here will probably recognise ;) but may not be familiar to everybody. To forestall the inevitable queries:

-Yes, it is deliberate, and yes, they work quite well
-Yes, you can use them with a higher output impedance amplifier
-No, it's not necessary to use them with a higher output impedance amplifier if they are boundary-loaded in smaller spaces
-Yes, if you want a box created using pure T/S derivation, there are alternatives. Name your poison, ladies and gentlemen. :D Christopher Lee sings "Name Your Poison" - YouTube

Attachments

• Juliet Alpair 12P classic DCR.png
    Juliet Alpair 12P classic DCR.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 423
  • Puck Alpair 12P traditional vented box standmount.PNG
    Puck Alpair 12P traditional vented box standmount.PNG
    112.6 KB · Views: 430
Last edited: