Alpair 12P cabinet options

I finally got a template cut for the sides which was a fun challenge. Holding it up next to my SuperPensils, the Joan really isn't all that much bigger. Base, sure, but it is considerably slimmer up top.

Looking forward to picking up a couple sheets of ply and putting these together. Planning to rough cut sides and then flush up to the template on my router table.

wp-1604159038031.jpg

Little bit of progress. I have ripped all the baffle/top/internal/etc pieces and finally found time to trim the first side on the router table via a template. Worked great. Three more to go and then I'll cut the other pieces to fit the sides.

I fit everything on about 1 and a quarter sheets of 4x8 plywood. Vehicle limitations meant I had the full sheet cut into two 4x4 halves for transport. Worked out fine by nesting the sides before I rough cut them with a jig saw.

Life with little kids moves slowly...

But got my sides all cut and the panels to rough size (planning to trim internal and back to length when gluing up).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nicked the template on the second to last side but I'm planning to patch with filler and add edge banding anyways. Should be pretty well hidden.

I'm ready to cut out for drivers (Alpair 12p) and realized there's no height specified in the plans. Am I just shooting for ear height seated?

Some progress pics!

Here's the repair on the side I nicked. Decent color match and I'm planning to edge band anyways.

wp-1612142448068.jpg

Some pics clamping up the first enclosure:

wp-1612142448095.jpg

wp-1612142448122.jpg

wp-1612142424989.jpg

You'll see I added some 1/4" material behind the driver. This is so I could remove enough to mount the driver flush to the front. Requires close to 1/2", and I didn't like the idea of so little to screw into.

Otherwise, very happy with how they are coming together. I have some denim insulation and poly fill that I'll stuff with before adding a driver and clamping down the remaining side. I'm very curious to compare these to the Super Pensil (part of the reason I'm building one at a time).

Sodacose,

Good progress there!

That's a smart move you made by adding some extra material behind the part of the baffle where the driver will go in. I've done that and it works like a charm. I also use the same type of positioning squares to get a good 90 degree angle on the joints. :)

Hope you can fire 'em up soon!

wp-1612571183589.jpg

Stuffed and driver mounted. I wonder if I'm heavy on the stuffing here? Not too scientific about how much I'm adding. About 4 big handfuls in the taper, 4 more behind the driver. And about equal below.

wp-1612571183570.jpg

Couldn't help but give it a quick listen with a Superpensil in the other channel. Second enclosure is gluing up...

Reactions: 1 user