an enclosure for the fe126en

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
a friend of mine offered me these drivers at a price I could not resist, so now I need to find them an enclosure. Any suggestion?
I need a not so big enlosure, so Kongo is the firsrt one that I'd take out from the list. The second one is the frugal horn since I don't have a corn to place them.
So, to me it looks like the only possibility is to build a bk12...am I right? Please tell me I'm not, I'd really love something that goes down to 55hz or so..

NAT Distribution
The cardersound Nina offers 40hz..does anyone have a plan like that?

Thanks,
Ervin

Nina had output to 40Hz, but it wasn't flat to 40. I know that for the excellent reason that I designed it. Nice for what it was though. It's a shame for Jeff Carder that he had the chronic bad-luck to launch his company right when the economic environment went pear-shaped in 2008.

I tuned the BK-12m somewhat higher to provide more gain. Pick two of three: small size, 'high' gain, low bass. If you want ~flat to 40Hz from a 126 in a back-horn, you need a bigger box.

Last edited:
I've heard the FE126E /n in at least half a dozen DIY and commercial designs;
since many of them occupy close to the same area of floor space, I'd ask if height, depth behind the enclosures or availability of corners pose any constraints.

My own personal take on performance would be the descending following order:

rear mouth designs:
Woden Valiant - (double mouth) - by a large measure my favorite for scale/dynamics
Ron Clark A126 - (single) perhaps a bit more refined in the bottom octave than the Valiant- but it's been so long since I've heard them...
FrugalHorn 3 - (single) - kits and DIY plans widely available - except for the curved side panels not really that hard a build
Buschhorn MkI (single) - some folks know

front mouth:

Nina (single) but as Scott hints, the proprietary design won't likely be floating around
Madisound BK12 (single)

one thing for sure, any of the above, even build from a thick cardboard packing box and duct tape would outperform the Fostex hybrid horn/BR :flame: (or is that too much? )

Dimensions can be maximum cm 120h*30w*45/50d. I had finally decited to build the dallas II with the fe206en when he offered me the fe126en. I think I'll go for the bk12 since I need a horn with a front mouth. Or maybe wait a bit and build the dallas anyway, giving the the little drivers away..

Scott, if I can ask you, do you think you will offer any enclusure like Nina soon?

Thanks Chrisb and liamstrain (and Scott too, since he did the bk12 :D)!

Ervin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.