7.1 Mark Audio home theatre build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good point. I really like the info on Rythmik's site. If it is not all hype it should be a great sub. I guess I can always add more subs later to round out the room.

The alpairs go down to 40 hertz so I was expecting a crossover of 40-60 hertz

I really like the idea of sound coming through the projection screen so I am tempted to do a sub there as well.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
For the subs how much better would the 4 CSS SDX10 in to boxes be? Cost would be close to 950.

I've not seen the Rythmik so no comment on that.

I can say that with 4 SDX7 (currently priced at $560 for 4), gives the advantage of either 4 separate small cubes or (as i have used them) 2 larger push-push woofers (mine are ~15" column 30" tall). I fell push-push gives a BIG advantage due to active reactive force cancelation, so much less energy loaded into the box, and subsequent increase in DDR. I've built the initial box with 15mm plywood as an experiment to see how much less real-world box load.

dave

GM, If I put one behind the screen where would you reccomend the other two?
Can the subs be different sizes?

I don't want too large a sub behind the screen as to make it defelect at all.

Planet10 I quoted about 900 for the SDX7's trying to cover price of an amp and box.

I am hoping to keep the sub/amp budget under a grand. At least initally. I guess I can add more later. If the plan is to add more later I want to have the room wired for it.

Last edited:
GM are you saying a wall mounted subwoofer? How does one calculate how high up the wall?

I'm sure there's some math or maybe even a computer program to sim it, but I've had good luck just making the assumption that it's no different than any other 'optimum' location in a rectangular room, so if you only had one sub, where would you put it percentage wise along the wall or where in room you would place it?

GM

~ $50 on Toole's book would really be a good inverstment. It is chock-a-lock with real world results and a really good grounding on HT.

dave

I may have to get it then.
I was just hoping I could find all the answers online. 6 months ago I did not realize how complex a sound system could be. When I was starting to look into it I was thinking of going with a three way speaker. I thought I could only afford 5.1, but I wanted to have more speakers. Then I stumbled on to this site and realized the money spent on a tweeter and crossover could be better spent on a full range speaker. I have been surprised with all I have learned so far. I never knew before that the room and room design/treatments were as important as the system. I guess it is no different than anything else. The automotive world is just as complex. (that is my trade)

I am by no means looking to be an audio expert, (I'll see how bad the bug bites me by the time I am done) I am fine being a beginner/intermediate with a system influenced by the experts.

Last edited:
I don't remember the source but there was a write up on multiple Hsu subs that had the placement of one sub in front and one behind the listening position with very positive results. Whatever you choose to build I would think at least trying one of them under the pool table is a great idea. Also the very low crossover of 50Hz would probably eliminate being able to locate the sub. Of course on those Rythmik's you have lots of amp settings to play with and after all this is a playroom right.

I think I am going to go this route. I have been reading threads where people mismatch subs with good success. The 15 inch center room could handle the low frequencies. I am thinking maybe a 8 or 10 inch behind the screen. I can use the Anthem software to set up the one behind the screen. The Rythmik amp has plenty of adjustments to be done separately.

I have changed the design a bit here: Floorplanner - home theatre

I was reading that 2 feet is a better distance for the false wall.

I also found a thread that said the center room sub works great if it is similar distance from the seating area as the front sub.

I have been toying with the idea of making the front 3 speakers alpair 10.2 and the surrounds the 7.3's. If they are equalized right will they be large enough?

I have changed the design a bit here: Floorplanner - home theatre

I was reading that 2 feet is a better distance for the false wall.

I also found a thread that said the center room sub works great if it is similar distance from the seating area as the front sub.

I have been toying with the idea of making the front 3 speakers alpair 10.2 and the surrounds the 7.3's. If they are equalized right will they be large enough?

1) cool planning software
2) to answer the question as to sufficiency of the 10.2 & 7.3s - until someone were to duplicate what you're planning it'd be conjecture to guarantee anything, but I'm always happy to gamble with someone else's money :D - it'd certainly be good enough for me - but I don't listen particularly loud
3) in a room this size/shape more than 2 subs might be required for completely even distribution - it doesn't sound like you've had time to acquire and fully digest the Toole text that's been recommended - that's something I'd address before finalizing room design or spending any money on woofers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.