Alpair 7 used for Keele CBT Array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Markaudio coaxials used for Don Keele CBT Array ?

I'm curious what opinions are for using the Alpair 7, 6 metal or paper models with a Keele CBT array?

I was considering the PE kit but these drivers have me interested in DIY plans.

The paper models would be very economical for this purpose.

Opinions?

If you haven't heard of this type of line array please checkout the following links.

Don Keele's CBT (Constant Beamwidth Transducer) Page

Audio Artistry / CBT Products

Don's keynote for PE kit.

Parts Express Part 1 - Don Keele's Keynote Speech on CBT Line Array Speakers - YouTube

These drivers seems like a NATURAL to me considering they are one of a HANDFUL of affordable coaxial fullrange drivers that produce decent SQ. Especially the paper models.

Here is the CBT MOTHER LOAD

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/Don's CBT Goodies Zip Download.html

Don has a CD just full of design ideas and technical info!

Isn't the 6P or CHP a natural for this at $50 or under a driver!

Last edited:

I didn't look at the Vas for the drivers... LOL

Yeah it would have to be one huge box!

I'm just a kit builder so I'm rather clueless on box design and even most speaker parameters. I guess the suspension is "loose" on those drivers ehh?

I'm also curious why I've never seen a ML-TL With multiple drivers...

Again I'm clueless on speaker design other than following premade designs and building them.

Is a CBT possible with a ML-TL using the main drivers?

I guess low Qts (Qms?) and low Vas would be important?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For line arrays, you want as close of a center-to-center (CTC) spacing as possible to reduce the effects of driver-to-driver comb interference into the longer wavelengths or lower frequencies. Typically smaller drivers like 2in to 3in full rangers are used. The A7.3 is a nominal 4in class driver but has the largest bezel or frame width of any 4in driver I know of, it approaches a 6in driver in some cases (huge). Additionally, it has a rather non-uniform frequency response and quite a bit of ringing in the 10k to 12k range as a result of resonance peaks that are used to extend the HF response. If you like the sound of aluminum drivers and you want to hit a true 20kHz look at smaller drivers. Lastly, the price of an A7.3 is quite high in general and as a line array where you need a lot of them, it can be prohibitive for some.

Take a look at the Fountek FR58EX ($18). It has a smoother response than the A7.3, has a very small frame that is rectangular which allows tight CTC spacing, excellent xmax, and it sounds very nice to my ears. It won't have the same bass capability as the A7.3. For that you could use the FR88EX ($38) which is less than half the price of the A7.3 and has a very durable cast aluminum frame vs the rather fragile plastic frame of the A7.3. I can't imagine having to run two dozen A7's for over 200hrs to break them in as recommended.

Other alternatives for line arrays include the Peerless P830986 ($22) which also has a square frame and is quite compact - great frequency extension up high. Smaller is the P830983 ($25) at 2in and there is the very nice cast frame NE65W ($33). All three have a flatter frequency response than the A7.3 and would probably make a better starting point for an array.

If I were building an array and I had to have aluminum drivers, I would go with the FR58EX - tight CTC, great sound with crisp highs, great price. If I did not have to have aluminum, I would go with Vifa TG9FD10-8 or TC9FD18-8. Also square frame for tight CTC spacing and a response that is smoother than ANY driver available, except maybe the ScanSpeak 10F.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.