fostex fe103en vs audio nirvana super 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all,
i am interested in building an OB using audio nirvana super 3 or fostex fe103en driver. have anybody used this super 3 driver (either OB or closed box)? how does it sound compared to fe103en? fe103en is quite popular in OB speakers. spec wise both are quite comparable.

thanks
Pranam

i have a 6.5" visaton mid-bass driver which can down to 45Hz in 16 ltr cabinet. also i will be getting a pair of another 6.5" drivers from my friend (dont know the details yet) which he has used in his speakers. i am considering only 6.5" driver for bass because already i have a 16 ltr cabinet with me. want to make use of it. will xover at 250hz or 300hz.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
why do u prefer FF85WK over FE103En? do u prefer this over super 3"? i see that super 3" have qts greater than 0.7 so isn't it more suitable of OB?

FF85 sounds better.

If you are going to use a 3" in an OB as a mid-tweeter the cross-over point will be high enuff that the Qt will make little difference.

I haven't heard the AN3.

dave

yes, i just figured out there is no account delete option!
thanks for merging

it makes sense to go for FF85wk as it costs lesser than both fe103en and super 3" drivers. for this driver how much baffle size is suggested? i read baffle size decides how much low freq. a signle full range driver can give. since ff85wk will be used only above 250-300hz, will a smaller baffle size be ok? i am even thinking for just a wooden support for the driver (almost baffle less!) few inches away from the woofer

I'll merge the 2 accounts for you... you can't delete the account.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
it makes sense to go for FF85wk as it costs lesser than both fe103en and super 3" drivers. for this driver how much baffle size is suggested? i read baffle size decides how much low freq. a signle full range driver can give. since ff85wk will be used only above 250-300hz, will a smaller baffle size be ok? i am even thinking for just a wooden support for the driver (almost baffle less!) few inches away from the woofer

On an OB, 250-300 Hz is probably too low. To XO that low you'll need to put them in a box.

I'm currently listening to FF85wKeN is uFonkenSET actively XOed (100 Hz) to 2 x 6.5" Mark Audio woofers. Sounds fantastic. I do intend on pushing the XO up from there. In our other FF85 as mid tweeter the boxed enclosures were XOed in the low 300s, in the FF85/Alpha15 MJK OB the HP is closer to 450.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.