OB with vintage Seas and Behringer Inuke DSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am almost done collecting vintage Seas drivers and ready to build my open baffle speakers.
The heart of the system will be Seas 21TV-G; a 8" wide ranger.
For HF, I am considering Seas 9TV-LG or Neo 3.
Now the difficult bit is the bass:
I plan to use four 8" woofers per side.
First choice is Seas 21TV-EW which I have. One problem is they are 15 ohm each. Wired parallel it will make about a 4 ohm load, right.
So maybe it is best to run them active.
I can cross MF and HF passive and drive them with my Tact digital amp.
My new idea is to probably use Behringer Inuke DSP to cross and drive the LF.
I think I can use my Mac Mini for volume control in this set up.
I like class D for bass control.
Anybody used these Behringer units?
Opinions?
Thank you.

> Anybody used these Behringer units?

I haven't. I had a brief look and like many items in the Behringer catalogue, they seem like really fun and powerful "toys for the boys". Unfortunately in general the brand doesn't have a great reputation for reliability and sound quality. In this case, the A/D convertors will definitely not be high end (if I understand well it only accept analog input). But perhaps ok for their intended live music use or for subwoofer use. Also, does your TACT have XLR output? With a RCA to XLR cable you'll lose loudness and likely A/D conversion resolution as well.

An example about Behringer quality. I have one Behringer device, their affordable AD/DA convertor SRC2496. In my study room I connect it optically to my Apple Airport express, and the analog audio out via XLR to my active studio monitors. This setup instead of the analog audio out of the airport because I couldn't get rid of earth loop hums with unbalanced audio, no matter what I tried. It works satisfactorily even if my more expensive but still reasonably priced Cambridge DAC in the living room is noticeably more refined.
Coming back to the quality: out of the box the SRC2496 simply didn't work. Eventually after googling I found a way to hard-reset the device (not in the manual) and then it worked, but clearly this is sloppy for a brand new device. My example is just one of many.

Even so, I must say that yeah that iNuke could be a cool solution. As a (perhaps better sounding and more reliable and certainly more expensive) alternative, have a look at a Hypex module with DSP.

Last edited:
yes, let me be more clear:
my idea was to use the inuke dsp for the LF of a three way system.
i use apple mac mini as my primary source.
then there is a usb audio interface which provides spdif digital into my Tact digital integrated amplifier.
i can switch to a pro firewire interface with analog xlr out.
i wonder in that set up whether i can have some basic volume control from the computer.
hypex units look nice. but they only have plate amps with dsp. which means i will need to buy two units, and then it becomes a bit expensive.
thank you very much for your response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.