visaton B 80 3.3 fullrange drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well this little driver is alot of money over at e-speakers.com. They are $111.80 each :confused:. I wonder why they are so much money? I know the company is a great company but, for that price.I wonder if anyone has heard or used these drivers? It seems the smaller fullrange drivers are getting to be more money now a days then some of the bigger fullrange drivers :confused:. Go figure? jdm

At least one of the two German speaker DIY magazines tested it and the results were quite impressive, esp the waterfall diagram without obvious resonances.
Being a European brand (even while it is made in China), I can imagine that it willb e rather expensive in the USA.
I haven't heard it.

The posted response graph actually looks fantastic, +/- just a bit over 1 db from the mean over the majority of the range. A slight rise starting around 5kHz but that will help with off axis response. Also that frame looks cast, which will help with resonances. Excursions not bad either

And I bet the off axis response is pretty good with that phase plug, small size, and as I said slightly rising response

I bet they sound pretty good. But whether or not they could beat some equally priced offerings like markaudio or fostex is debatable.

Seems that Visaton drivers are quite expensive in the US (or e-speakers.com).
The B80 is not cheap in europe but at €65 it should be around $85.
Haven't listen to a B80 and can't say if it worth the money.
Here in europe (the first batch?) seems to sell quite good. It was sold out for some time.

So, has anyone played with them? The look on paper to be the wide range mid I am looking for. 700 to 5K first order networks, 6 inch three way is the idea. Get the crossover out of the vocals. They have a metal dome mid too, but as that is purely a midrange, and the B80 is a limited full range, I won't ask about that. It does seem pricey, like double what it looks like it should, no eddy current shunt for example. It seems small mids are not "in". Towers with several 6 inch "mine are bigger" are common, and most systems just plop the crossover at about 2.5 and do without a mid. Full ranges are supposed to get the mids right, so this is where I am asking.

So, has anyone played with them? The look on paper to be the wide range mid I am looking for. 700 to 5K first order networks, 6 inch three way is the idea. Get the crossover out of the vocals. They have a metal dome mid too, but as that is purely a midrange, and the B80 is a limited full range, I won't ask about that. It does seem pricey, like double what it looks like it should, no eddy current shunt for example. It seems small mids are not "in". Towers with several 6 inch "mine are bigger" are common, and most systems just plop the crossover at about 2.5 and do without a mid. Full ranges are supposed to get the mids right, so this is where I am asking.

Almost - I'm going to insert these Visaton B80 units to Cyburgs-Needle box. I'll get back when ready and burn-in smokes are faded.

But if they preform...
I am about to fall back on the Fountek 88 or 89. The 10F may be getting a tad big to fit on the baffle. (basic 8 x 14 bookshelf) It also looks like it may not be the best choice to make it all the way to 5K. The smallest Fostex is a possibly, but I am afraid 5K is too close to it's breakup problems. Boy are they flat through the mids though. I just can't believe a 2 inch dome can reach down into the upper hundreds. Actually, I worry about the 3's. Maybe it is because my desktop Fountek 85's are not 3 inch, but 2 and a quarter.

Last edited:
lol i love the continental bias at DIYA. 80euro isnt THAT much for the B80, plenty of comparable Fostex, Mark Audio and TB bought in UK around that are similarly priced, and specs are good.

I trust visatons specs, they are bang on the money. My experience with Audax and TB suggest the specs have more deviation. My mark audio pair are both +25% on spec values! Awful lol

Last edited:
What bias? It looks to be a decent unit for what it is; I can't see where anybody has suggested otherwise. In fact, the response here seems rather positive. The B80 however is not at the cheapest end of the 3in wideband drive unit market, especially for our North American cousins where distribution of Visaton products is somewhat more restricted.

Briefly OT, since this thread is about the B80, MA units +25% off advertised? Did you send them back or contact the manufacturer? Out of interest, which units? How were they measured (equipment), out of box / after break in etc.?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.