CHR70 ShoeBox-70.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys.

First Post here.

I have been looking at getting some monitors for my computer, and stumble apon this sight among things.

I think I might have a go at making a nice 2.1 set up as opposed to buying some KRK Rokits or the like.

After having a nice stereo in the car for years why no get rid of these Logitec Z4's lol.

So on to my question after days of looking around the site, I figured a good first build would be the CHR70 in the ShoeBox-70.3 box from the Mark Audio website (Hence throwing it in the forum)

I couldn't find many builds on this set up or box, What works well in the design. aka the quarts sand? some deadening or Dacron or the like.

On to my Music taste, Yeh its pretty much metal, So don't shoot me for that, Im more into prog and Cant get enough Dream Theater ( I suggest you all listen to the Track Octavarium if you have a spare 30 minutes, The Live version is even better)

So I like my sound deep, Low mid bass needs to be well defined and hard hitting. In my car my Mids are crossed over around 80Hz digitally and fed from an amp capable of 120wrms per side.

I plan to eventually mate the monitors to the Exodus Anarchy Folded horn box which will fit perfect behind my desk. To obviously enforce low end due to my fear of small single driver systems, I have always had the saying you cant substitute anything for cone area.

I also dare say I would HPF the monitors around 80-100hz as well as to not destroy them.

Thanks fro your time guys and girls

Spec!

Spec,

Maybe better to go for paper cones if you're into metal. The CSS EL70 (a driver also made by Mark Fenlon) is a good choice among the Mark Audio Drivers. Add some woofers (not necessarily subs) to the FR monitors in bi-amped config - you should have a real cool system.

So on to my question after days of looking around the site, I figured a good first build would be the CHR70 in the ShoeBox-70.3 box from the Mark Audio website (Hence throwing it in the forum)

I couldn't find many builds on this set up or box. ...
As this plan is only 1,5 month old, I think it exist only one Box ;)
I have no experiences with other FR drivers and so I could not give any recommendations.

If you plan a 2.1 for desktop with cross over >100 Hz I may try a smaller closed Box!?

something like this silly cheap little amp (labelled for some reason as "Car Amplifier", but who are we really kidding about that? )

Lepai 2.1 2x40W Amplifier + 1x68W Sub Output 310-308

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and a pair of CHR or EL70s in small sealed box, Woofer6 / EL166 and you'd have a little 2.1 for less that $200 plus wood that should easily shame many of the prepackaged computer speaker rigs

Hi Spec,
How's life in Wollongong Auss? I was in Syd the other month.

I took a little time to do what you suggested, I listening to Octavarium, my kind of music! Reminds me a bit of ELO (Electric Light Orchestra). Showing my age but have a listen too:

The Whale: Electric Light Orchestra - The Whale - YouTube
Mr. Blue Sky: Electric Light Orchestra - Mr Blue Sky - YouTube
Steppin' Out: Steppin' Out - YouTube
Waterfall: Electric Light Orchestra - Waterfall - YouTube
Big Wheels: ELO Big Wheels - YouTube

Art of Noise also comes to mind:
Robinson Crusoe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09BYP0a-6oI&feature=fvst
Cassandra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CROR518uw&feature=related
Promenade 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdmWL8jVFPM&feature=relmfu
Dan Dare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb2Tn0v9P1k&feature=relmfu

Much as the guys like my EL-70, trust me on this, go get yourself a pair of CHR-70 Gen. 3's and do the base with a Woof No.6 (EL 166).

Cheers,
Mark.
Markaudio

Last edited:
One Issue with a 2 way sort of system is I dont have desk space for such a large box, Desk is a little over a meter wide and once I get a new iMac there wont be much room left.

Already have an amp in mind, Ill grab the link once I am back home.

Looks like I might be one of the early people to try this enclosure.

One Issue with a 2 way sort of system is I dont have desk space for such a large box, Desk is a little over a meter wide and once I get a new iMac there wont be much room left.

Already have an amp in mind, Ill grab the link once I am back home.

Looks like I might be one of the early people to try this enclosure.

If Mark tells you what to do...you make a bigger desk. Nuff said.

Last edited:
Indeed it does, I somehow managed to stumble on it via a link on this site somewhere.

Only need the one unit for what I want to do, The stacked pics if just something they did when taking them.

They are hard to find being a Chinese product, And im unsure of the quality, But here is a link and the price seems fair damn cheap at $270us for what your getting.

Wholesale - SINEWAVE GENIUS33D DSPTAS5630SMPS 2.1 OR THREE WAY HI-FI AMP, $217.35-240.35/Piece, 1 piece/Lot | DHgate.com

Also he is a member here and here is a thread on said amp

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/172050-another-project-all-digital-ddx-amplifier.html

It takes a little more time to search but I have some information :D

Last edited:
This is what imthinking of powering the speakers with

Sinewave Genius 33D

Sinewave Electronics Co.,Limited Sinewave electronics co.,limited

DSP DAC and 3 channel amp all in one, WOuld be a perfect little unit for me.

Downside is I found it hard to find on this website as well haha
Well, I have no experiences with Amplifiers with integrated DSP etc. (except AV-receiver) but I think with this part you can obmit the simple Filter and do it in the Amp!?

Don't know if you found this thread as there is not the word shoebox in ;)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/207240-chr-70-bass-reflex.html

I hope I can do it all in amp, Im used to playing around with all this sort of digital stuff in my car stereo.

Also found the member web store from one of his posts.

Buy DSP CLASS D, DSP+CLASS D AMP+SMPS 2.1 HI-FI AMP WITH ANALOG/SPDIF/USB SOURCE SELECTOR,130w+35w+35w TAS5613+TP6120+PCM1793 at Aliexpress.com

Buy DSP CLASS D, DSP+CLASS D AMP+SMPS 2.1 OR THREE WAY HI-FI AMP WITH ANALOG/SPDIF/USB SOURCE SELECTOR at Aliexpress.com

I might go the optical one so I can use that on my mac and set it up all via use with my windows net book

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.