"Warm, full, natural, listen all day" fullrange?...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking at the CSS el-70 as a full range for all day listening with all kinds of music including compressed mp3's. Anyone know how the driver performs with this kind of material?

Are there any other full ranges to consider? I would like a nice smooth sound, I'm not sure that I like metal cones as much having listened to Dayton rs100 and Peerless 830970

+2 on the EL70 - as Fastbike noted, the CHP70.2 has a rolled off top end, that even though I definitely qualify for the "upper middle age" demographic, I find lacking in comparison to the EL, which also has outstanding LF response for such a little driver

OTOH, not all metal cones are created equal -Alpair6M vs Fountek FR88EX for example, and when a bit more budget is available, the Alpair7.3 is an exquisite performer

+3 for EL70. Although for warm and natural, you may want to solve baffle step losses somehow. Either with an LR circuit, active filter, or some dual driver variant. My EL70s sound a tad thin without BSC. Not objectional, but I wouldn't consider them warm because of it.

My stock EL70's have amazing bass; i have had to set my equalization on my Sony mp3 to "flat" response. I wonder if there will be a gen.2 EL70? i am 65 so i grew up with paper cones and have that bias.

If you've not already done so, try listening to the EL70 on higher resolution source than MP3, even dare I say it, a good vinyl rig? .

The question in your second sentence has been discussed rather extensively, and the short answer probably remains "not with that designation, at least" - the EL70 was a special OEM model for Bob at CSS, and was specified by Bob to meet very specific parameters.

Now, I'm sure Mark would be willing to negotiate privately with anyone able to pony up the required financial commitment for a new custom driver - I'm still collecting empties from the staff lunch / party room .

the tangband w5-1611! Larger "conearea" then el70 -> more authetic + authorativ lower end. Non fatiguing mids due to polyprop cone + surprising amount of detail in the high end.
use them myself in bedroom. And there are two very thouroghly developed builds for the w5_1611:
sarah
flat 5
good luck with your choice!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the tangband w5-1611! Larger "conearea" then el70 -> more authetic + authorativ lower end. Non fatiguing mids due to polyprop cone + surprising amount of detail in the high end.

I couldn't live with the plasticy sound they have long term, itherwise they are very nice... i will attempt to remove that when i treat them.

dave

last weekend, i listend to the w8-1808 (similar to the 1772) in a tqwt.
wow, such a smooth and detailed sound, almost never fatiguing!
and great highs, for a full range driver.

but at another price point ;)

am thinking about getting a pair, putting it in a tqwt (nice bass up to 35/40hz) and implementing the hypex as2.100. against the peak around 3khz and the "standing waves" in my room.

speaking of the alpair 7.3: i was very surprised when i saw the messurments in the latest hobby hifi (german diy-speaker building magazin). they differ strongly from what marc published as the official frequency response for the driver. :eek:

a very unsymetric peak of ~10db starting at 10khz -> metallic and harsh sounding highs :down:

and people rave and praise this very expensive driver, i don`t understand that.

speaking of the alpair 7.3: i was very surprised when i saw the messurments in the latest hobby hifi (german diy-speaker building magazin). they differ strongly from what marc published as the official frequency response for the driver. :eek:

a very unsymetric peak of ~10db starting at 10khz -> metallic and harsh sounding highs :down:

This isn't going to make me very popular, but all the measurements I've seen of Mark's stuff differs from his. Which is ironic because he's so nutty about measurements and likes to take jabs at DIY'er who measure. With that said, lots of his drivers sound very good. A 10db break up above 10khz isn't going to be very audible. So I'd disagree with your last statement. At higher SPL I imagine that breakup would reveal some HD lower in the treble. Still not very audible.

EDIT - got a link to the hobby hifi article? If not maybe they'll have it at Chapters.

Now the CHR70 that is metallic and harsh sounding imo. Not what I'd call "warm, full, natural, listen all day".

... speaking of the alpair 7.3: i was very surprised when i saw the messurments in the latest hobby hifi (german diy-speaker building magazin). they differ strongly from what marc published as the official frequency response for the driver. :eek:

and people rave and praise this very expensive driver, i don`t understand that.

Have you heard the 7.3, or 10.2? At the frequency range you're talking about, the enclosure type might not be particularly relevant.

While I generally favor paper cones in wideband application over any of the plastic, woven glass or other composite/ fiber types I've yet heard ( probably less than 6 examples), the Alpairs have none of the harshness that could be used to describe metal cones I've heard.

there is no free link to the artical, afaik. sorry! and the germans are somewhat picky about copyright, so no scans from me :(
the chr70.3 also ha a peak at about 10khz, but it is symetrical -> easier to filter.

i have only seen the different graphs, never listend to the drivers.

my hearing goes to ~16khz and i think a raised high-response (sorry for my english) of 10db at 10khz is preety audible.

there is no free link to the artical, afaik. sorry! and the germans are somewhat picky about copyright, so no scans from me :(
the chr70.3 also ha a peak at about 10khz, but it is symetrical -> easier to filter.

i have only seen the different graphs, never listend to the drivers.

try to avail yourself of such an opportunity

my hearing goes to ~16khz and i think a raised high-response (sorry for my english) of 10db at 10khz is preety audible.
your english is just fine - certainly better than many for whom it is mother or only tongue

as for the audibility of such a response peak - perhaps; does it necessarily render a driver (or complete system) unlistenable? - perhaps not - ask a diehard Lowther owner

Is it at 10khz or above 10khz. Your first reply said starting at so I interpreted that as above 10khz. Even if you can hear to 16khz, your hearing isn't very sensitive up there.

If it's at 10khz then the problem is probably starting at 8khz. This is likely more audible. Even then, how controlled is it and what does the breakup consist of. I measured my EL70s to have break up starting at 5khz, but it's well controlled and doesn't ring like metal.

No worries about the article. I'll try and find a copy to buy. It would be interesting to see. Thanks for reporting it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.