Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Only the designer so far.
JKRO tried a hunger strike................he gave in before Dave started feeling guilt.

Guilt?

Starve baby, starve :D

I don't think Dave loves me any more :p. That and the Em' in the oversized, fugly, 'ken in the family thats a pain in the whatsits to get set for measuring. Especially when you have sooooo many neat little boxes to play with

never mind electron loops, how about the convertible - box or OB ?

Attachments

• cuckoo-speaker.jpg
    cuckoo-speaker.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 310
Loving the Emmys with my new source. Scared up a SL1210 mkII for a reasonable sum. Pristine King Curtis Live at Fillmore West arrived the same morning.

His rendition of Whiter Shade of Pale is great live and on the black stuff

Also discovered Loreena McKennitt's Greensleeves - oooooooooph. You can download 'The Visit' FLAC album from her site for £5!!

I've always liked the the Gaelic dreamy style ever since I heard Clannad play Theme from Harry's Game. I used to wake up about 5am and my Dad would come and get me. He would do paperwork at the kitchen table and I would draw. This came on the radio and apparently and when it finished I wanted to hear it again. It was Oct 1982 and I was 2months off my 5th birthday. 30yrs later, 2months off my 35th birthday I still get goosebumps. Ahhhh the memories

Wow JKRO,
Funny how the memory works - I wus 10yrs old in '82, Pink Floyd's The Wall was aired for the first time on Top of the Pops. I thought it was the best song since sliced bread and hoped with all my heart that it would be played constantly via my little transistor radio. A few days later at school, the lunch bell rang and all the kids charged out-side...... 600 kids goose stepping chanting 'We don't need no education'.
Letters were sent home to every kids parents explaining that the song / album was about the threat of nuclear war...... I got a huge telling off from my father, who was in the RAF, lectured about the Cold War and how it didn't matter if it all kicked off because of the targeting of RAF bases and Cities - Elgin being within 15 miles of two bases and a city.
Next day I got the living (insert word here) beaten out of me for weeks buy the Scots kids, not for being English, but 'cos my father was in the RAF!
Funnily, The Wall was the first song I ever heard on 'proper' HiFi, my Uncle Steven played it from a recording from vinyl to reel-to-reel, through a big gold Marantz tube amp and speakers that were as tall as me - the sound of hammers marching and helicopters buzzing round in thin air, crystal clear and Loud....... oh my, so damn LOUD!
It was also the tune used to demonstrate the effects / sounds of different cables made in HiFi by the guy who got me into this wretched addiction :rofl:
Clea bought me a cd this morning, Clifton Chenier - Louisiana Blues and Zydeco (1965), thankfully it's not remastered trash.
I've also promised the 7yo girl who lives above that I will play Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' loud enough for her to dance outside with her mother and Clea before she goes to stay with her father for the weekend.

True, so VERY true......
They don't quite do what I'd describe as 'Down right dirty skanky bass' though........ expect an email shortly!
The Clifton Chenier album - find it and buy it, stunning stuff!
Also check out Petra Magoni and Ferruccio Spinetti's Musica Nuda 2, Disc one is..... some thing else!

ouch! at that level I hope you liked the track
It's one of those 'Teeny Bopper' songs that puts a smile on my face AND its well produced, which makes a change in this day and age.
And hey, how often can One man put a smile on the faces of 8 females in one go on a cold and blustery October afternoon?
Em's flexed their muscles, Fun was had........ and that's what counts.

Nights at the Alhambra has some of our favorite demo tracks.

I reall yneed to get going on digitizing my vinyl... i have at least a couple good albums

I've got The Lady Of Shalott & Bonny Portmore - both amazing. I guess they would be even better on Night at the Alhambra because of the live recording. I'll look into that!!

As for digitizing. I've used Garageband on the mac before now. Good results with a half decent record and phono stage using the analogue inputs. I might look into Behringer UCA202 and Behringer UCA222 but if you have one of the larger Behringer units that have ADC that might work better as the conversion is outside the Mac.

I got mine cheap. Ripped it apart for the tonearm, plan is to mount it on a replinthed Rega 2 (or maybe use the bearing/inner platter/motor from an LP12 -- more work there thou -- need to machine a new outer platter)

I'm going to stock up on parts as they are cheap but the decks are no longer in manufacture - 1x arm 2x bearing and a few other bits should see me until I die

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.