Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been lazy - just been listening :D:D

I've just got to rewire the driver and decide on a finish and I think I'm done. Maybe use a Deflex panel in the back and see what that does.

I'm in for a minor op on tuesday so I've got another excuse to sit and listen :rolleyes:

Hey Dave, how are your pair coming along? Are there any other Beta's out there? Would love to hear someone else's take on the Emken

Hey guys, I would be very interested in doing a beta but I haven't put my hand up until now because I can't even begin until the middle of May, which means they wouldn't be finished until the end of May at best. If this is not a problem, then sign me up!

I would plan to make with the Beta12LTA, then try with the Fane and then the Eminence Beta12CX coaxial, which looks not a million miles away from the LTA's physical specs. I would love to find a compact-ish cabinet for this driver.

Cheers,
blakk

Awww Dave! Tell Chris to stop painting the thing and put it together. You guys are gonna make me look bad (not a hard thing :D) I started months ago and you guys will have a fully finished version before I do!!!!

oooooo blakkshepeaudio, the Eminence Beta12CX coaxial sounds interesting.......

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/179161-beta-12lta-3cf-box-port-size-12.html#post2433024

blakk, i think you can stick a beta 12lta in a small sealed box even smaller than i did (1.75cf) and partner with a sub for great results. This box will probably hit 75hz without trouble and provide a highly efficient solution. I've since been enjoying it on an OB (where it makes it to about 150hz) partnered with H-frames. The other drivers you mention will also likely work great in small sealed boxes (as part of a system with bass support). These 12" drivers offer a more lifelike sound than the smaller full rangers many love... it's like driving a V8 for a while then going back to a V4... you become accustomed to the effortless power. The coax driver looks like a neat idea but some have nixed it for poor tweeter integration. I'd like to try it myself tho... but i already have the beta 12lta and it suits me very well.

Zilla

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/179161-beta-12lta-3cf-box-port-size-12.html#post2433024

blakk, i think you can stick a beta 12lta in a small sealed box even smaller than i did (1.75cf) and partner with a sub for great results. This box will probably hit 75hz without trouble and provide a highly efficient solution. I've since been enjoying it on an OB (where it makes it to about 150hz) partnered with H-frames. The other drivers you mention will also likely work great in small sealed boxes (as part of a system with bass support). These 12" drivers offer a more lifelike sound than the smaller full rangers many love... it's like driving a V8 for a while then going back to a V4... you become accustomed to the effortless power. The coax driver looks like a neat idea but some have nixed it for poor tweeter integration. I'd like to try it myself tho... but i already have the beta 12lta and it suits me very well.

Zilla

I hope to try all of these 12 inchers in a variety of boxes, in time. :)

I too fear that the Beta12CX will be a disappointment but I so WANT it to be good that I just have to try anyway! If worst happens, I can use them in a pair of stage monitors for my son's band.

Cheers,
blakk

I suppose it's all about a smooth blend between the 12" driver and the compression tweeter of choice for this to be successful. I thought about it and love the whole coax idea but opted for the 'more traditional' wide range approach plus helper woofer and tweeter. The sound is very smooth this way (crossovers outside critical ranges) allowing the 12lta to simply play full out (showing off it's raunchy, fun, dynamic character) without circuits being in the way. I love the purity and simplicity of this type of 3-way.

Whether OB or Sealed, the 12lta is a winner... I'd LOVE to hear the Emken and adopt one for my listening room but i'm in divorce limbo at the moment. I am very enamored by the 12lta regardless of its flaws. It ROCKS like no other full ranger i've encountered.

Awww Dave! Tell Chris to stop painting the thing and put it together. You guys are gonna make me look bad (not a hard thing :D) I started months ago and you guys will have a fully finished version before I do!!!!

In fact the most time consuming part so far has been fitting and drilling all those holes in the full length and lateral bracing - the CNC & operator are not always available after hours. Even though it's actually faster by hand with a 1/2" power drill than a belt driven drill press - no matter how large the motor, there's way too much slippage on the latter, and moreover you only need to clamp work pieces once when drilling by hand - this is much tougher going on BB plywood than MDF.

These aren't tiny enclosures - altogether approx 2 5x5ft sheets per side, and it does get a bit wearying moving them around.

I like those wheels Chris! I was thinking about popping a couple of static wheels an inch or two from the base on the back with a small flip-down handle on back at the top. Just lean it backwards and voila!.....

....a matching L & R set of Emken Luggage

BTW when is diyFEST? I counting on Dave & Chris' design & build skills to wow everyone!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.