Listening distance with BLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With all my high end stereo's I've had (McIntosh, Acoustat, and now my DIY full range with H frame woofers) I've always found my sweet spot to be about 5-6 ft away from the speakers.
Room size is 21' X 12' X 8'
Speakers almost halfway into the room
McIntosh's and Acoustat 2+2's firing down the length of the room
Full rangers firing down the width of the room
I'm considering building a set of BLH (for my daughter). I've read some posts that people have theirs (BLH) set up with the listening chair 10 -14 feet away (!)
I myself can't imagine any speaker giving hi end sound at that distance.
your replys (greatly appreciated)
Paul

Because of sound delay in the horn, BLHs sound better from a bigger distance.
Optimal listening distance depends on room acoustics, more specifically on volume of direct sound in proportion to volume of reflected sound at listening position. Direct sound weakens with distance therefore for BLH the room needs more absorption so less reflected sound reaches the listener. The farther you are from the speakers the more obvious the room problems became and they have to be addressed too.

Jimbro,
I think it would kill the bass, but I have never tried it myself. Also, if you move the bfBLH that far from the corner, the corner will not work as an extension of the horn and you will miss the big advantage of bf horn. I have ffBLHs with mouths placed far from the corners so I have room for bass traps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.